• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really nice tape pre Myles!
    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
      Nick will be bringing my finished version of his V3.0 tape stage by this Saturday. This will include the newest Clarity caps. We'll also be swapping out tape decks and I'll be using another Technics machine, this one outfitted with Flux Magnetics heads and wired balanced out from the heads to Nick's tape stage. He'll also be using Transparent Audio's new 110 ohm hookup wire from the heads to the tape stage.

Now deciding which tape to play first? Stay tuned!
      Fun...Fun...Fun!

Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        Nick will be bringing my finished version of his V3.0 tape stage by this Saturday. This will include the newest Clarity caps. We'll also be swapping out tape decks and I'll be using another Technics machine, this one outfitted with Flux Magnetics heads and wired balanced out from the heads to Nick's tape stage. He'll also be using Transparent Audio's new 110 ohm hookup wire from the heads to the tape stage.

Now deciding which tape to play first? Stay tuned!
        ================================================== ====================
        Too bad Chad hasn't released his Living Stereo tapes yet. One of those would be good for christening the system!
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

Too bad Chad hasn't released his Living Stereo tapes yet. One of those would be good for christening the system!
          That was a nice thought. The first LSC tape should be released though in April if everything works out. The running masters are done.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I received my upgraded pre from Nick between Christmas and New Years and was able to spend a good amount of time listening to tape and allowing the caps to break in. This pre is sooooooooo quiet it is unreal. Most tubed components have some noise which becomes inaudible at even low levels of music. This unit seems to start near zero. As much as I enjoyed the prior version of the v3, this is definitely a step up. If you are deep into RTR this unit should be on your short list for upgrades.

Regarding the tape unit itself, I have 2 RS-1500s which are only used with the wired out head block. I had an issue with one of them, since resolved, but I was able to swap out the head block and put it on the other unit and away we went. It seems a little excessive but I really don't want to be unable to play tapes through the v3 for long periods of time.
            Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Ayre MX-R, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Audio Research Phono 2SE; Analog: Basis 2200 Signature with Calibration Base, Vector 4 Tonearm, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Comment

Hello,

thought i might post this here :

i have added a section to the Doshi Audio website

http://doshiaudio.com/testimonials/

This was setup for users to post their experiences with Doshi Gear.

Thanks,

Nick

Comment

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I think Myles did a really good job in his review of explaining why tape sounds superior to even great table/arm/cartridge setups and what the Doshi V3.0 tape pre brings to the table so to speak to help elevate the sound of tape to an even higher level.
                  SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
                    I think Myles did a really good job in his review of explaining why tape sounds superior to even great table/arm/cartridge setups and what the Doshi V3.0 tape pre brings to the table so to speak to help elevate the sound of tape to an even higher level.
                    Makes me want to hear one in-house.
                    Every day is a good day to play analog.
                    12" 33.3/45rpm vinyl or 10.5" 15/30ips tape

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
                      Yes but as we both know, turntables have been narrowing the gap between the two mediums. Especially when it comes to low frequencies. But we don't always appreciate how susceptible turntables are to LF vibrations and how much they affect the tt's sound. Recording your record onto R2R tape like Andre has done tells you a lot about your table's susceptibility to LFs.

But then the tape stage or heads get better and stretch the gap out once again. 😉

Comment

• JCOConnell
                        JCOConnell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        tape is similar to high quality dynamic speaker systems. Its got the edge in bass slam.

• MylesBAstor
                        MylesBAstor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        One does need to account for the head bump in R2R decks. That can also give a little boost in the mid to upper bass depending upon Tape speed. The Doshi and also the King-Cello take that head bump into account and are flat in that region. Though I know BruceB doesn't believe in it. 😉
                    Working...
                    X