Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used vintage preamps for tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used vintage preamps for tape?

Click image for larger version

Name:	preamps.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	49480

The Marantz units will provide NAB eq ... I will have to check the ARC to see if it is just high level feed through. This will be interesting!

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

In the old days, many good preamps came with a tape head input. Pretty cool when you think about it.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

One thing I've learned about vintage equipment is the values of resistors and capacitors can change over time. Even worse capacitors can fail. While such a failure might not be too bad in a preamplifier, one such capacitor failure cost me an amplifier smoking the irreplaceable output transistors.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
        One thing I've learned about vintage equipment is the values of resistors and capacitors can change over time. Even worse capacitors can fail. While such a failure might not be too bad in a preamplifier, one such capacitor failure cost me an amplifier smoking the irreplaceable output transistors.
        Agreed, all mine in the pics are refurbished and pass no dc.
        Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
          In the old days, many good preamps came with a tape head input. Pretty cool when you think about it.
          Can you name a few? I have never seen one but it sounds very cool.
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post

The Marantz Consolette and the Marantz Model 7 will do it as my picture above. I will try them. I have to check on the ARC SP 3 I think it will as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post

Look at any preamp/integrated amp made from the 1950s through the mid 1960s. Pretty much all of them had an input for a tape head.
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Ok, so I have answered my own question..... Using the Marantz model 7 tonight with direct head input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tape.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	49580

Comment

I once demoed old master tapes on a Studer A810 direct wired and feeding a stock Marantz 7C at our audio club meeting. However, I ran the MRL NAB cal tape to make sure it was responding properly by monitoring tape outputs of the 7C for full sweep of 20 to 20Khz. It was respectable performance considering there was only HF adjustments on 7C.

McIntosh MX-110Z supposed to have same tape head preamp circuit as Ampex 350 that will need to be verified but I did tried them on Studer heads, and it worked well.

As soon as I get off my butt or retire, I will test various vintage tape head preamps once again and compare them to more modern offerings. Some of them that are resting -Ampex 354, 351, 350, and MR70. I should have others that can't be found such as SS AG-440 preamps, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
                    I once demoed old master tapes on a Studer A810 direct wired and feeding a stock Marantz 7C at our audio club meeting. However, I ran the MRL NAB cal tape to make sure it was responding properly by monitoring tape outputs of the 7C for full sweep of 20 to 20Khz. It was respectable performance considering there was only HF adjustments on 7C.

McIntosh MX-110Z supposed to have same tape head preamp circuit as Ampex 350 that will need to be verified but I did tried them on Studer heads, and it worked well.

As soon as I get off my butt or retire, I will test various vintage tape head preamps once again and compare them to more modern offerings. Some of them that are resting -Ampex 354, 351, 350, and MR70. I should have others that can't be found such as SS AG-440 preamps, etc.
                    Looking forward to your comparisons. Next will be the Marantz Model 1 Consolette. The ARC SP3 won't do it.

The 7c was good with a little trim avail for the the high frequency.

Comment

Here's one from Jeff Josephs!

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.joseph...09275267022616
                      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Too cool, same pre as I experimented with in my vintage collection.

Comment

I ran a Scott integrated amp when I had a vintage system, and it had a good sounding tape section.

Comment

There's an early ARC SP-2 with a tape head section up on epay. the ones labeled "Electronic Industries" are kinda rare, I haven't seen one of these come up for sale in ages.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132209444642...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                            TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                              MylesBAstor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for sharing Rob! That is ultra cool!

Very cool rare piece.. some of the earliest pieces from WZJ were labeled as Peploe Industries..

Comment

• Rob
                              Rob commented
                              Editing a comment
                              the pic of the rear panel shows "Peploe" under Elec Ind. This particular example is super clean, sorta tempting
                          Working...
                          X