New deHavilland Repro Arrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New deHavilland Repro Arrives

After being away for business for a few days, a box with the following arrives:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (021).jpg
Views:	220
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	53199

It will be a while until I can hook things up. My Otari is done with me - recapped and with direct outs, I sent it out for calibration as I didn't have the reference tapes.

Meanwhile my Goldfinger statement sits on the shelf... not much time lately.

Stay tuned.

Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

did you get the FET based 10db input card? I see your top cover and other small details are different from mine, I'll be watching this space for your impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      did you get the FET based 10db input card? I see your top cover and other small details are different from mine, I'll be watching this space for your impressions.
      I have the FET input it is switchable in/out

I can pop the hood this weekend if I have time if you want a peek. Thanks .
      Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25

Comment

Many Congrats! I'm sure you will love it!!

Keep us posted....

Comment

Tonight might be trial night

Lots of travelling this week and probably picked up a bug on the plane.. but the Otari is now aligned and adjusted with the PS caps changed and other critical items to the tape path replaced like the capstan tire and pick up arms. Its direct out with silver shielded wire and JRF serviced heads.

I fabricated some solid walnut side panels today for the deck.

The dehavilland is in place. All I have to do is hook up some interconnects and go.. Since I am phono only with the Io with 2 phono inputs I have to hook the amp direct to the dehavilland..

Getting close. First tape is the Hugh Maskela from Acoustic Sounds.

Name:	otari3.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	53989

Name:	otari1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	53990

Comment

Look forward to your feedback on the 222. Hope you get to enjoy this weekend.
          [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

I use the model 222 with my Otari also, I find the 222 sounded better with the Otari than with my Studer. Last week I sent my Otari head block to John to install the FM head, I can't wait to compare the model 222 with the Tube Repro by Bottlehead.

Comment

• kcin
              kcin commented
              Editing a comment
              ooo... let us know how it turns out!

I will do that for sure, I am just hoping for a nice jump in sound quality with the new FM head...

Comment

How is your comparison with the different tape stages? I'll be in the market soon I hope.
              Amp-McIntosh MC501x2,ATI 2505,ATI 1505,Innersound amp
              Preamp-McIntosh c2200,Marantz AV7005
              Phono Pre-Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE
              Speakers-Innersound Eros w/new panels and woofers,
              Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,Paradigm 80's 60's and CC350
              Crossover-DBX Venu 360
              Analog-Hanss T-60/SME V,Hana SL,2-Sony APR 5003,Revox B77
              Digital-Sony SCD XA5400ES, JRIVER Media Center
              Wadia DI122 DAC
              Subs-2 Velodyne HGS10's,2 Velodyne 1200's
              Tuner-Revox B760 McIntosh MR74 Sony XDR F1HD
              JVC Projector,Draper electric 92" screen
              Room dedicated 27'x16'x10', Bass traps
              VPI 17 record cleaning machine

Comment

That is a cool looking piece, like it should be rack-mounted in a DeHavilland bomber...love those retro dials and toggles!
                Btw I recall seeing another audio product recently, maybe on this site which had lots of cool retro aircraft style dials...can anyone recall the product

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
                  After being away for business for a few days, a box with the following arrives:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FullSizeRender (021).jpg Views:	1 Size:	329.9 KB ID:	53199

It will be a while until I can hook things up. My Otari is done with me - recapped and with direct outs, I sent it out for calibration as I didn't have the reference tapes.

Meanwhile my Goldfinger statement sits on the shelf... not much time lately.

Stay tuned.

Did you have a particular FM head built? Kara likes to mate the 222 with an Ampex head, I'm interested in mating the 222 with the FM head used with the Bottlehead/Tape Project setup. If so I'm interested in your impression and how well the head and 222 work together

Ed

Comment

Working...
                  X