Know Your Record Presses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know Your Record Presses

Know we discussed whether going from Non-Dolby to Dolby recording was a step back in sound quality but wonder how much going from a manual to automated record press also played a role? Certainly in terms of Q/C as time went on.

http://www.qualityrecordpressings.co...fm?go=finebilt

http://www.qualityrecordpressings.com/index.cfm?go=smt

http://www.qualityrecordpressings.co....cfm?go=toolex

http://www.qualityrecordpressings.co...fm?go=Hamilton
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Didn't Chad announce that the next generation of UHQR LPs he's going to produce will be pressed on a manual press?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

here's a good link...Pulls up all of the QRP pressed title releases. At least you know they should be great pressings. I just ordered some Black Sabbath releases to see how they compare with original US and UK Vertigo issues
      http://store.acousticsounds.com/inde...searchtext=qrp
      Christian
      System Gear

Comment

If memory serves, didn't Hobson finally get around the problems with his 200g flat profile by going to a manual press--I think the guy's last name was Smith, but i'm pulling that one out of my---hat. Rockit--be interested to know what these sound like- they are from a digital file that was done in 2012, I think. I'm not totally down on digital as a source for vinyl, but....The Zeps sucked in my estimation (at least the first three, I didn't bother buying any of the others).
        Small batch, hand-crafted farm to table vinyl by bearded lubersexuals in flannel shirts. It's a selling point!

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          The Chadster told me he acquired the Finebilt presses just for his UHQR, so what Hobson said is true

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
        If memory serves, didn't Hobson finally get around the problems with his 200g flat profile by going to a manual press--I think the guy's last name was Smith, but i'm pulling that one out of my---hat. Rockit--be interested to know what these sound like- they are from a digital file that was done in 2012, I think. I'm not totally down on digital as a source for vinyl, but....The Zeps sucked in my estimation (at least the first three, I didn't bother buying any of the others).
        Small batch, hand-crafted farm to table vinyl by bearded lubersexuals in flannel shirts. It's a selling point!
        that's effin' funny, my 25 yr old nephew fits that description to a tee.
        Simon Yorke + MSL > B.M.C .> Valvet > Linear Tube Audio > Avantgarde

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

I don't think CR ever sorted out their Q/C issues. Thank God for ring clamps but unfortunately that couldn't solve the issue with spindle holes that were too small.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            in those day we were just happy someone was reissuing anything on vinyl, let alone 200g wax. how soon we take for granted today's offerings by QRP among others.

Rob commented 04-24-2016, 07:30 PM in those day we were just happy someone was reissuing anything on vinyl, let alone 200g wax. how soon we take for granted today's offerings by QRP among others.
          Excellent point as usual. Whatever you thought/think of the Classic releases, Hobson and to a lesser extent some other labels kept turntables and vinyl alive. It was desperate times back then and without the CR albums, audiophiles wouldn't have had new albums to play on their tables. I don't know about you but even when a large collection of lps, I still need new albums to play. I just can't stagnate and play the same albums over and over. Do you remember how excited people got when Michael would have a press event at each show announcing what new titles he would be releasing?

I remember when Hobson announced at one of the shows that he would be reissuing the EMI classical titles and how excited everyone was (I actually have the poster here with the names of the to be released titles on the back!). Hobson never talked about it and obviously the project died before anything could be released but in retrospect he was also working on reissuing the Contemporary titles. You see the lacquers for sale on eBay now.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I should have done my homework. Had I known the lacquer was cut from digital, I would not have ordered them. Goes to show you that even though qrp does the pressing, they arent doing the mastering unless they release under analogue productions.

Rockit--be interested to know what these sound like- they are from a digital file that was done in 2012, I think. I'm not totally down on digital as a source for vinyl, but....The Zeps sucked in my estimation (at least the first three, I didn't bother buying any of the others).
            Christian
            System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I don't think CR ever sorted out their Q/C issues. Thank God for ring clamps but unfortunately that couldn't solve the issue with spindle holes that were too small.
              fixing too small spindle holes is easy. IF you have a reamer!
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
              X