Vinyl Records Set to Outsell CDs This Year for the First Time Since 1986

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Records Set to Outsell CDs This Year for the First Time Since 1986

Even allowing for the fact that this is in terms of revenue and not in terms of units, this is something that seemed impossible a decade ago. The fact that vinyl is growing so robustly, while of course actual compact discs are plummeting in sales due mainly to streaming, is just a place that I didn’t think that we would be at.

Read More: Vinyl Records Set to Outsell CDs for First Time Since 1986 | https://loudwire.com/vinyl-records-outsell-cds/

TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

The history of audio has seen changing technology many times since the wax cylinder. Although we are seeing a wonderful resurgence of vinyl sales, it is still a very small part of total sales volume. I am happy about the availability of new vinyl, but not the prices for the collectibles.

Meanwhile, digital audio will continue to be the major force in sales. Seeing the reduced sales of physical/optical media (CD's) is not surprising as major streaming sector improves with selection and quality. Eventually new CD releases may be hard to produce at a profit for manufacturers as cost per unit goes up and sales go down. CD production facilities depend on economy of scale, lest retail prices go way up. Eventually CD production would like vinyl, become a niche market. But I would never imagine CD's having a resurgence.

Comment

Counterpoint? I predict that the switch back to LP's will essentially kill the high-end audio market within a generation or less
      Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
      Pass Labs INT60
      Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
      REL S3
      Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
      Torus IS5

Comment

• Metamatic
        Metamatic commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL. So it's got nothing to do with streaming?

I still like the line from Men in Black " What I am going have to buy the White Album again "

Comment

As I go to local vinyl shops to buy up my teen year vinyl albums again lol. I see non like us there. It's a yuppy hey man hipster seen. They hang out drink beers n coffee.
        Many are dj folk but I don't know where they spin.
        They have tables n headphones there. They play obscure music loud on horrible stereos.
        Now when I go I take
        my head band flash lite , glasses , and ear buds that let me hear or shut out ambient sounds.
        I also ask where my stuff might be. It's mostly in 2 or 5 dollar bins lol. No one cares for my music it seems.
        So when joe said we are a tiny market wow is he in touch
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by rbbert View Post
          Counterpoint? I predict that the switch back to LP's will essentially kill the high-end audio market within a generation or less
          You’re going to have to come up with an actual reason for that, Doc. Just saying it ain’t enough.
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH

Comment

If anything is killing high end it's prices over all.
            New is outrageous yet I get why some must be.
            My whole setup is estate dead people stuff and I still spent
            over 200 all in old and new.
            Asside of cost is the desire to have it in the first place
            judging by the vinyl shop seen it's over Jonny

Dacs lampi various

Comment

https://www.discogs.com/Anne-Bisson-...elease/9929081
              just got this hope it's good it's a two lp 45
              Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                Joe Pittman commented
                Editing a comment
                Al, let me know if you want the Live At Bernies D2D. I have a couple copies. I have the R2R tape of Blue Mind.

Originally posted by Skylab View Post

You’re going to have to come up with an actual reason for that, Doc. Just saying it ain’t enough.
              It seems fairly obvious to me LOL, but I can expand a little.

The introduction and subsequent popularity of the CD led both to a resurgence of interest in high quality audio reproduction in the home. The CD replaced the cassette (which had already replaced the LP, primarily due to convenience) because it offered at least equal convenience in addition to improved sound quality. Somewhat paradoxically, more interest in (and subsequent increased popularity) high-end audio eventually also led to renewed interest in the LP as the sonic limitations of the CD became more apparent. BUT, the same problems with widespread use of LP's that led them to be replaced by the cassette as the main form of music listening are still present, and perhaps even worsened by the ever escalating price and complexity of the associated hardware. Unless and until the music industry can find a method of software/firmware delivery of its product to consumers that results in the same sort of evolutionary/revolutionary advance that the CD gave to the hardware industry, I think high-end audio is (relatively) doomed. MQA is/was a foolish (IMHO) attempt at that, and appears likely to fail in that role. It's somewhat encouraging that digital hi-res streaming is becoming technologically and economically feasible, but there is a noticeable lack of enthusiasm on the part of both the general public and the high-end audio industry at this time. The latter (again, IMHO) appears to be focusing too much on developing and advertising incremental (and expensive) improvements for LP playback that are of interest to what will be (or is already becoming) a rapidly diminishing market as its demographic ages (and loses its hearing).

I'm not sure what the answer is for the industry. One thing that might help would be to actually produce and market masterings for hi-res digital that better demonstrate its superiority over mp3/mp4 streaming; then again that might make no difference.
              Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
              Pass Labs INT60
              Daedalus Audio Ulysses v.2
              REL S3
              Daedalus/Wywires and Acoustic Zen cables
              Torus IS5

Comment

Joe if it's a high quality D TO D vinyl let me know how much call me
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

Need help
                  https://www.amazon.com/Tribute-Ella-.../dp/B01KQCPT70
                  do. I get norm release or DD 180 gram ? I know many dd stink.
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

Kids drive the market. They have at least since the 1960s. Kids are why there is vinyl now. Its cool.

Comment

I said this and agree we are old lol.
                      Dacs lampi various

Comment

Doc I just can’t agree. CD may have led to more non-audiophiles buying CD players, yes. But that’s not high end. All that the vinyl resurgence did was spur the high-end market to new heights. No doubt about it. Is that temporary? Maybe. All things in the high end are to a degree. But CD didn’t spur more in high end audio than the resurgence of vinyl. No way.

Comment

• rbbert
                          rbbert commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nope. The surge of new products, new companies and sales volume in general of "high-end" audio equipment from 1985 - 2005 speaks for itself, realizing that "high-end' at that time did refer to equipment costing 1-2 orders of magnitude less than what in increasingly common now. Really all the resurgence of the LP has done for high-end audio hardware is to send prices through the roof. I have no problem with hardware manufacturers developing and selling really nice tables, arms, cartridges, pre-amps, etc; there is a market for all of it and if they are selling a nice product there is no reason for them not to make money when and how they can.

My real beef is with the music industry. They are "shooting themselves in the foot" by pushing LP's and ignoring the potential sonic benefits of better digital products. There is no reason they can't do both. However, as we presumably all know, the music industry is historically rife with corruption and short-sightedness, probably never more than today, where all sorts of financial shenanigans can be hidden within the handful of conglomerates that control the industry. The shrinkage and perhaps eventual collapse of the audio hardware industry appears to be something they don't care about.

Originally posted by Skylab View Post
                        Doc I just can’t agree. CD may have led to more non-audiophiles buying CD players, yes. But that’s not high end. All that the vinyl resurgence did was spur the high-end market to new heights. No doubt about it. Is that temporary? Maybe. All things in the high end are to a degree. But CD didn’t spur more in high end audio than the resurgence of vinyl. No way.
                        I agree. One could make the argument that if anything in the past 10-15 years helped with a high-end resurgence (if there has actually been one) it would be high resolution digital since a lot of people who grew up on vinyl may have moved over to that.

The resurgence of vinyl may have moved some young people from portable music to home systems but those systems are likely not high end. Maybe some of the headphone setups are but not speaker setups.
                        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• rbbert
                          rbbert commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I may be misreading something here, because you seem to be agreeing with my position?

• dminches
                          dminches commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I guess I don’t know what your position is since I thought you were saying the CDs fueled the resurgence of high end I don’t agree that it did. I do think that hires digital has played a role in keeping it going but i don’t think that vinyl will turn it in the wrong direction.
                      Working...
                      X