This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Grado Turntable article in Audio magazine June 1977

Joseph Grado published a series of articles about Turntables in Audio magazine starting in June 1977. To this very day I have used his articles as one of my references.

Since LP's have come back in a big way, a lot of the old knowledge has been forgotten. There is considerable misunderstanding of Tonearm resonance point for example, but its basic physics. I particularly like Grado's explanation and importance of the the tonearm resonance point discussed at the end of the articles. Although dated, I hope this information will be helpful.

See reprint
    Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
    Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
    Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
    Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
    Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
    Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
    Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
    A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
    Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice articles. Very good info that is still relevant. Thanks Joe!
      CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version), Rockport Avior ll Speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Sigma Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Audio Desk Pro LP Cleaner, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

I liked Joe Grado. He lived/had his shop in Westfield, NJ where I lived. (you could tell it was he since he was the only one in Westfield to tool around in his Lambo). He knew music - was a singer at the MET in NY. He was very interested in resonances and actually built a plastic violin that was extremely close in timber to a Strad. His "go to" ultimate system was AR (sometimes KLH) for the bottom end and Janzen electros for the top.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          I was privy many years ago at a Chicago CES to a discussion about opera among Dick Sequerra, Dick Shahanian and George Bischoff. Very interesting!

Especially part 3. Highly recommended reading.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
        -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
          Joseph Grado published a series of articles about Turntables in Audio magazine starting in June 1977. To this very day I have used his articles as one of my references.

Since LP's have come back in a big way, a lot of the old knowledge has been forgotten. There is considerable misunderstanding of Tonearm resonance point for example, but its basic physics. I particularly like Grado's explanation and importance of the the tonearm resonance point discussed at the end of the articles. Although dated, I hope this information will be helpful.

See reprint
          The last installment promised an examination into linear tonearms, but somehow I missed it.

Was there a follow-up to cover this topic?

Excellent article, it matches my experiences with a very light Oftofon OM-10 perhaps tracking on the light side and a heavier Grado Sonata tracking better on my linear tonearm (Pioneer PL-L1000).

I am switching to CD's for the next week until a stylus gauge, record cleaning fluid and a few other toys show up in the mail.

I want to do this right.

Comment

Working...
          X