No announcement yet.

Shun Mook vs Harmonix Clamp, XV-1s/Lyra Connoisseur vs AN IO-J/Tron GT Ultimate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shun Mook vs Harmonix Clamp, XV-1s/Lyra Connoisseur vs AN IO-J/Tron GT Ultimate

My review

Amazing what a difference record clamps can make. Since the Verdier doesn't use a record clamp, how well did the clamp flatten the LP on the platter Ked?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
      Amazing what a difference record clamps can make. Since the Verdier doesn't use a record clamp, how well did the clamp flatten the LP on the platter Ked?
      Hi, didn't check the flattening, but the clamp will secure the Lp and prevent slippage as well as, to a limited extent, improve the contact between the LP and the platter. If you want to maximise that contact by flattening then adding a ring clamp would help. I also understand that Harmonix makes a mat which they say should be partnered with their clamp, as a system.

Acoustical Systems now has a clamp too

Comment

Viewing the Helox clamp at Acoustical Systems reveals several interesting claims, including this one:

The HELOX offers the serious audiophile the option to fine adjust the speed with stylus drag - i.e. while the sytlus tracks the record and inevitably slows down the speed ever so slightly. Resulting in accurate speed under real working condition - which gives you much more correct pitch, transient timing and natural micro-dynamics.

It wasn't clear how this worked or how stylus drag ties in with a clamp. (Though it does sound like something clever that Herr Brakemeier would offer.)

I'm curious if anyone has captured stylus drag numerically for a particular set-up. To my simple Newtonian mind that would be a speed before and after the full weight of the stylus lands on the record. For turntables sufficiently speed sensitive and capable of adjusting their speed, presumably there is some time interval during which the speed difference is detected and adjusted. Could or has this been recorded. ???

Click image for larger version  Name:	cache_41186348.jpg?t=1422136268.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	41957

Those 520b tubes look museum grade. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
          Viewing the Helox clamp at Acoustical Systems reveals several interesting claims, including this one:

The HELOX offers the serious audiophile the option to fine adjust the speed with stylus drag - i.e. while the sytlus tracks the record and inevitably slows down the speed ever so slightly. Resulting in accurate speed under real working condition - which gives you much more correct pitch, transient timing and natural micro-dynamics.

It wasn't clear how this worked or how stylus drag ties in with a clamp. (Though it does sound like something clever that Herr Brakemeier would offer.)

I'm curious if anyone has captured stylus drag numerically for a particular set-up. To my simple Newtonian mind that would be a speed before and after the full weight of the stylus lands on the record. For turntables sufficiently speed sensitive and capable of adjusting their speed, presumably there is some time interval during which the speed difference is detected and adjusted. Could or has this been recorded. ???

Click image for larger version Name:	cache_41186348.jpg?t=1422136268.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	41957

Those 520b tubes look museum grade. :-)
          Products such as the digistrobo or the Sutherland Time line certainly allow checking and adjusting the turntable's speed (when possible) while the record is playing. IIRC Verdier had a similar device too.

If you look closely at the picture of the clamp on Dietrich's site, you can see fine strobe lines on the edge of the clamp.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

All clamps have a sound, mostly due to resonance but until the turntable is capable of accuracy 100% of the time and under all conditions testing the clamp is a useless chase.

I've had dozens of turntables and the Sutherland time line never fails to show error. Remember that any mechanical error results in LP playback that is off pitch, compromised dynamics, slewed tonal balance and reduced dynamics.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
              1morerecord2clean commented
              Editing a comment
              Albert speaks the truth. You can't attach anything to a system that doesn't impart something of itself. Removing something likewise changes the resulting sound as well.

Originally posted by Albert Porter View Post
            All clamps have a sound, mostly due to resonance but until the turntable is capable of accuracy 100% of the time and under all conditions testing the clamp is a useless chase.

I've had dozens of turntables and the Sutherland time line never fails to show error. Remember that any mechanical error results in LP playback that is off pitch, compromised dynamics, slewed tonal balance and reduced dynamics.
            All clamps have a sound...

I couldn't help notice this text from an Agon advert for the Shun Mook clamp ($3k) :

A legendary Shun Mook product now being made in a very, very limited number. This record clamp is made from extremely rare pieces of dried ebony briar. This extra heavy century old ebony root which were immersed in the swamps of Africa has a unique power that no other wood possesses. The vibration generated by the diamond stylus in the vinyl groove besides inducing an electroflux through the phono-cartridge also excites the ebony molecules, causing it to resonate. This in turn is feed back through the stylus and is reproduced as expanded sound staging, enhanced separation, sharpened focus and enriched tonal balance of the music.

Comment

$3k for a rare ebony briar clamp. I like tweaks; but this seems a little over the top. If I put it on my head, will it make me taller and better looking? Stillpoints LP1 seems much more logical & technology based.
              CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version), Rockport Avior ll Speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Sigma Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Audio Desk Pro LP Cleaner, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
                $3k for a rare ebony briar clamp. I like tweaks; but this seems a little over the top. If I put it on my head, will it make me taller and better looking? Stillpoints LP1 seems much more logical & technology based.
                I have compared Mooks footers under stillpoints in many systems, and replaced my own stillpoints with Mooks. I haven't compared the clamp but there are people who have. A very simple way to think is would you prefer your violin with ebony or your violin with steel. The obviously right choice would be to compare and listen. I would definitely try the Dalby though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
                  $3k for a rare ebony briar clamp. I like tweaks; but this seems a little over the top.
                  A little?

I'm all for buying products that are well-designed, use good/high quality materials and are manufactured to exacting standards, but this is so over the top it boggles the mind. These are "I've got more money than I know what to do with" products. I have no doubt the serious audiophile with deep pockets will try to impress upon others that the tiniest fraction of detail has now been uncovered. It was revelatory! YA OK!

I'm almost 64 and my hearing, while still pretty good, is declining. I'd spend $3,500 on a good hearing aid first.
                  Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

All of these tweaks are like any tweaks - cables, isolation...if you want to say yikes for 3000 you might as well start another do cables work thread. All of audio is "I've got more money than I know what to do with" products, so you might as well enjoy it your way - can be with tweaks and swapping, can be with spinning, listening to different systems like I do, whatever..what's the point of your holier than thou attitude on how you want to spend money without listening to the said tweak? The guy who owns both clamps had one of the top systems in the UK 20 years ago, had reference rooms, and reviewed with Roy Gregory, and has since downsized post retirement, and retains the clamp. If you have compared the clamp and can advise us better, please do

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
                      All of these tweaks are like any tweaks - cables, isolation...if you want to say yikes for 3000 you might as well start another do cables work thread. All of audio is "I've got more money than I know what to do with" products, so you might as well enjoy it your way - can be with tweaks and swapping, can be with spinning, listening to different systems like I do, whatever..what's the point of your holier than thou attitude on how you want to spend money without listening to the said tweak? The guy who owns both clamps had one of the top systems in the UK 20 years ago, had reference rooms, and reviewed with Roy Gregory, and has since downsized post retirement, and retains the clamp. If you have compared the clamp and can advise us better, please do
                      I replied to HAWK's post with an opinion. Obviously you didn't like it, but that's ok, I'm not bothered. I'll stop there.
                      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I did not intend to upset anyone. My statement on the Shun Mook Clamp was a small attempt at humor. I am not very tall and only my wife finds me kind of good looking. Some people swear by the Shun Mook products. I have not heard them and I cannot afford a $3k record clamp. That being said, I would love to hear them in a system.
                        CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version), Rockport Avior ll Speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Sigma Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Audio Desk Pro LP Cleaner, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

I can't afford a lot of stuff, but I enjoy investigating and listening to them. It's part of the hobby. There is a post on WBF by a guy from the UK who gave feedback on this - he owns 4 Rockports, Techdas, 2 Goldmund Reference, Thorens ref, over a 100 tonearms, many SMEs, 75 or so Koetsus alone...his dad was a collector too. He has 3 different Dalbys, Shun Mook clamps, Harmonix, uses them all. He uses them differently on different TTs.

Comment

• Hawk
                            Hawk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I would love to collect audio equipment at that level. My daughter is in London doing a semester abroad. For a listen to that caliber of equipment, the first pint or two would be on me. Being Irish, he would probably turn me away even with a bottle of Chateau Lafite.

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
                          I can't afford a lot of stuff, but I enjoy investigating and listening to them. It's part of the hobby. There is a post on WBF by a guy from the UK who gave feedback on this - he owns 4 Rockports, Techdas, 2 Goldmund Reference, Thorens ref, over a 100 tonearms, many SMEs, 75 or so Koetsus alone...his dad was a collector too. He has 3 different Dalbys, Shun Mook clamps, Harmonix, uses them all. He uses them differently on different TTs.
                          that would be Mik. he has all the neat stuff.....including my old Rockport.

and....btw, I think that the Durand record weight is as good as any other.
                          https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

• Hawk
                            Hawk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Very impressive gear. It would be tough, but fun, to make the decisions on what to listen too. Nice issue to have!
                        Working...
                        X