Kuzma: Do Tonearm Cables Make a Sonic Difference? You Decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuzma: Do Tonearm Cables Make a Sonic Difference? You Decide

Franc sent me a link to this Michael Fremer article on AnalogPlanet. Using four different 4Points, wire options from Kuzma were recorded for listening: copper (CU), Cardas Silk, Monocrystal and Kondo.

What do you think?

I'm interested in some comments on this. a new tonearm cable could force a change of a phono cable which drives a endless cycle of reoccurring test. Not to mention tonearm and cartridge setups occurring over and over
    Chris
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe it's a terminology issue between us - I thought "tonearm cable" and "phono cable" denoted the same thing.

• cpp
      cpp commented
      Editing a comment
      Same thing carry on, brain fart here, no coffee when I posted that

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I guess we could be referring to tonearm cable/wiring and phonocable. 😎

Another slippery slope. Should the tonearm wire and phonocable be from the same manufacturer? In some cases-the SAT and my old ET come to mind-you don't have a phonocable. Here the tonearm wire extends directly to the phonostage.

Franc makes a double wire version that is a "standard variation" - one with wire of your choice with no interruption, and one with wire of your choice with a termination box, so you can add a stand alone cable if you choose. I have the original Cardas in Airline, never rewired it.

Comment

Everything matters and the closer it is to the source, the more of an effect it can have. Yes, tonearm cable sound different.
      Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        And of course the minuscule signal levels here.

Yes but I would add that the difference in sound is related to electrical effects and could be cartridge dependent. See this thread especially post 10.

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...-cables-matter

Also whether you run balanced or SE to the phonostage and the minuscule signal levels. Bill gave an excellent overview of the situation here.

https://www.audionirvana.org/blogs/a...r-audio-system

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

" MylesBAstor commented
        06-11-2017, 11:07 PM

Well I guess we could be referring to tonearm cable/wiring and phonocable. 😎

Another slippery slope. Should the tonearm wire and phonocable be from the same manufacturer? In some cases-the SAT and my old ET come to mind-you don't have a phonocable. Here the tonearm wire extends directly to the phonostage.

You know I was wondering the same thing we talk about changing phono cables but these thin small wires from the cartridge start the process.
        Chris
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

• cpp
          cpp commented
          Editing a comment
          It depends.my VPI from the cartridge has those little wires that run through the tonearm and connect to a RCA block. From there a separate cable which in this case in the phono cable runs to phono stage. So no the cable ID"s you have noted are not the same thing on some turntables. When I change a phono cable its from the RCA block on the VPI to my phono stage its not the tonearm wires/cable loom, but they work together to perform the function of getting the signal to the phono stage. So although they denote the same and support the function its not the same cable. I haven't seen any "cartridge wire tonearm cable looms that a user could change out from the cartridge to say the RCA block.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          My point is that all the claims of terminology equivalency use "tonearm wire" to make sense. And yes, there are tonearm wires that are tonearm cables - running all the way to electronics. And yes there are horses too dead to beat. . I'll say tonearm cables are phono cables but tonearm wiring is not.

• cpp
          cpp commented
          Editing a comment
          "" I'll say tonearm cables are phono cables but tonearm wiring is not. "" I can live with that

It depends on the tonearm design. For me the tonearm cable is the wire from the cartridge to a RCA terminated block at the back of my tonearm. My phono cable is used to connect the RCA terminated tonearm wire to my phonostage.

Comment

For me, I have the Graham 2.2 tonearm. The tonearm cable runs from the cartridge clips to the DIN connector at the rear of the arm. The phono cable runs from the DIN connector to the phono stage (or in my case, the head amp ).
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
          X