Koetsu Urushi opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koetsu Urushi opinions?

Never hear much on this line Koetsu, any owners past or present? Any one here have much listening time with any of the models? They all seem (current models) to use silver plated wire and have .4 output, weigh the same, etc....
    Stay safe and hang in there everbody.
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold (ordered)
    DIGITAL - Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

I owned the original Urushi for many years and absolutely loved it. Used it with SMEV (with the heavy counterweight option) and Transparent Reference phono cable. Magical timbres was the highlight for me. Could listen to all sorts of recording thus allowing me to expand my music collection.....just did not want a cartridge that was only suitable for limited range of recordings. I understand the current Urushis are somewhat different. I have a great review of the Urushi Vermilion that I am happy to email to you if that helps?

Comment

Thank You, that would be great.
      [email protected]
      SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold (ordered)
      SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
      CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Hi Tom, just emailed the review to you. Hope it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by tom_hankins View Post
          Never hear much on this line Koetsu, any owners past or present? Any one here have much listening time with any of the models? They all seem (current models) to use silver plated wire and have .4 output, weigh the same, etc....
          Stay safe and hang in there everbody.
          you really want one, you're just trying to find a reason not to do it A few years back I had the pleasure of breaking in an urushi sky blue for a friend, I used it for 6 mos. and enjoyed every second. previous to that I was using a current rosewood platinum, they're both exceptional cartridges.
          Linn Kilmax LP12 | My Sonic Lab | Channel D | Wadia | Innuos | Valvet | KR Audio | Klipsch

A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know when when you are wrong - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

you really want one, you're just trying to find a reason not to do it A few years back I had the pleasure of breaking in an urushi sky blue for a friend, I used it for 6 mos. and enjoyed every second. previous to that I was using a current rosewood platinum, they're both exceptional cartridges.
            I used the RSP for around two years and liked it.
            my wife loved it. Thought I might get another Koetsu to have around for her.

Comment

I don't have an Urushi but have heard one on many ocassions. I do own the Jade and have RSP rebuilt by Koetsu with < 5hrs on it as I could not wait and bought the Jade. It sits dormant.

There is something they do just right in the image size and position along with the flesh of tone especially in the bass.... yes the bass. The Lyras I have are more exciting and the Goldfinger is explosive .... but once you put the Koetsu on wow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	545.6 KB
ID:	134292Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	134293
              Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
              Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
              Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
              Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
              Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
              Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                my dealer has a Goldfinger and Jade Platinum in the same system, maybe its because the GF swings more volts the ARC REF phono does come alive more so than with the Koetsu. When going thru the D' Ag or Burmester phono stages, the playing field is level or so it seems.

• kcin
                kcin commented
                Editing a comment
                One major advantage of the Goldfinger is its output. This is underestimated as a contributing factor to less noise and greater dynamics. While low turns and low output are the path to "purity" its is very difficult to rebuild the signal with step up xfrmrs or active amplification so it is useful.

The Goldfinger does slam...

Every time I see the word, Koetsu, I start drooling. :P

Comment

Working...
              X