Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cartridges would you like to listen to or read about?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
    What cartridges available today have piqued your interests and you would like to listen to or read more about?

Dre
    More thoughts are always welcome.

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    12" 33.3/45rpm vinyl or 10.5" 15/30ips tape

Comment

Etsuro Urushi. Heard it only once on a restored Sp10mk2 and was fantastic

Comment

• tom_hankins
        tom_hankins commented
        Editing a comment
        This is one I would love to hear more about too.

Would like to hear a review of the Air Tight Opus 1 in comparison to your PC-1 Supreme and Goldfinger cartridges.
      SOURCE: VINYL -VPI HR-X, 12.7 arm, ADS - Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Benz LPS-mr. DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures w/ YG binding post upgrade. CABLES: Audioquest and Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

• fcrowder
        fcrowder commented
        Editing a comment
        Albert Porter, who is a forum member, has owned all of the Airtight's and hopefully can comment on the differences. I do not believe that he has owned the Goldfinger.

• bonzo75
        bonzo75 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gian60 owns the Opus, GFS, and coral Stone. Opus is his favorite. He is now breaking in the Atlas SL. Tango also owns the Opus and a few others like Atlas, acoustical systems, coral... Opus is his favorite. Gian did say he was getting the best of the Atlas and coral from the Opus

• tom_hankins
        tom_hankins commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, very high praise!

Originally posted by tom_hankins View Post
      Would like to hear a review of the Air Tight Opus 1 in comparison to your PC-1 Supreme and Goldfinger cartridges.
      Hi Tom,

JV has already done the Opus-1 review for TAS. So, I won't be writing a report for the magazine.

My observations, after using the Opus-1 here at home and at least 10+ installations in 4 other locations (as of today) are briefly described in a post further up in the thread. They still hold true today.

Here they are:
      Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

The PC-1 Supreme is a very nice sounding cartridge. An Air Tight improving on its performance is a challenge.

With that said, the Opus-1 improves on the performance of the PC-1 Supreme in most areas. A few of them are the Opus-1 has even more focus and see-through clarity of presentation, a deeper more dimensional soundstage, and a bit more macro-dynamic headroom.

All IMO, of course.

Dre
      The Opus-1 is a better cartridge when compared to the PC-1 Supreme (which is a good cartridge itself).

Hope this helps,
      Dre

Every day is a good day to play analog.
      12" 33.3/45rpm vinyl or 10.5" 15/30ips tape

Comment

• tom_hankins
        tom_hankins commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I have heard it several times but not in direct comparison to my Supreme.

• Dre_J
        Dre_J commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem. My comments are based on direct comparisons in all those systems as they were all updated from PC-1 Supreme cartridges I'd installed before replacing them with the Opus-1.

Bonzo,
      Have the Etsuro Urushi for evaluation. Finally have enough time on it for a serious listen. Will give my impressions soon.

Comment

• bonzo75
        bonzo75 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s interesting, Steve. I heard it on a well-restored Technics Sp10mk2 and a big DIY horn. The system had superb bass, dynamics, tone, drive, and very good body especially in the lower half. There was another low priced suspended DD called STST Motus II with AN IO cart in that room, that was nowhere close. I could not separate out much of the cartridge, but my guess is that while it might not have the highs of the Lyra Atlas, the full body, tone, mid bass, will be excellent. The system excelled on baritone vocals and cello region. That was also the first time I heard the Technics and I loved that whole package, so it will be interesting to see what you think of it on your Kodo/Xact.

Would also like to check what you think of the soundstage because here on a couple of recordings we got huge, though I can’t confirm what the cart was doing.

Since it is 0.25mv, I assume you will play it through the CH, would also be good to know if it has any noise issues through Thoress or Allnic
    Working...
    X