This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating Tonearm Resonance

An important consideration often forgotten about in buying cartridges and matching to tonearms.

Couple of similar formulas.

http://www.resfreq.com/resonancecalculator.html
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

http://www.ortofon.com/support/suppo...ance-frequency

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/how...cartridge.html

Comment

MechanicalResonances.pdf

Great refresher article.

Comment

And one among several calculators at Vinyl Engine.

Quick and easy graph at VE if you know your arm's Effective Mass. The visual here is helpful. Resonance Frequency is shown in colors (Green = no problem, Yellow = Maybe, Tan = possible resonance issue.) Here is an output example for the regular Kuzma 4Point 'arm.

The Resonance Frequency link (M's first post) helps explain the problem with comparing the resonance frequency of different cartridges on the same tonearm because of different standards used for presenting Compliance (C) values. The formulas in these links are based on a compliance figure measured at 10Hz. As noted most Japanese cartridges are measured at 100Hz: for example, the Lyra Etna: 12×10 cm/dyne at 100 Hz. There is no exact formula for converting. This site suggests multiplying 100Hz compliance numbers by a factor of 1.5. From scouring the Web on this topic, I've adopted a factor of x1.75.

Comment

The Resonance Frequency link (M's first post) helps explain the problem with comparing the resonance frequency of different cartridges on the same tonearm because of different standards used for presenting Compliance (C) values. The formulas in these links are based on a compliance figure measured at 10Hz. As noted most Japanese cartridges are measured at 100Hz: for example, the Lyra Etna: 12×10 cm/dyne at 100 Hz. There is no exact formula for converting. This site suggests multiplying 100Hz compliance numbers by a factor of 1.5. From scouring the Web on this topic, I've adopted a factor of x1.75.

Great discussion on factors impacting tonearm-cartridge resonance in the Sidebar of this CAR-50 cartridge review.

Comment

Warning!
              Assumes that the quoted cartridge compliance references 10Hz.
              [Often (sadly) not published by manufacturers]

"There is one snag about it. The manufacturers of cartridges do not always state a useful value for Compliance (C). (It should be started at 10 Hz). Figures of C coming from Japan usually are measured at 100 Hz, so they should be multiplied by 1.5-2. Figures of C coming from USA often are static values, so they should be halved. Most figures of C coming from Europe are OK (stated at 10 Hz)"
              I wanted to bring up this one piece of information from the sidebar previously referenced. Would seem to be an important piece of info to have when buying a new cartridge. (Just as, though not necessarily as important, whether output referenced to 3.54 or 5 cm/s.)

Know we have more than a few cartridge gurus here. What are your thoughts?

Comment

But as Roy wrote:

"Play around and you quickly discover that any combination of compliance between 8 and 15cu and total mass of 'arm and cartridge around 25 grams will deliver an acceptable result, which explains the almost universal move toward cartridges that weigh around 10 grams and offer a compliance of 10-15cu, paired with tonearms that have an effective mass in the 11-to-20-gram range. It means that pretty much everything works with everything else. Ortofon suggest that tonearms ranging from 11 to 20 grams can be considered medium or moderate mass, with corresponding cartridge values in the 10cu to 20cu range."

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
                  And one among several calculators at Vinyl Engine.

Quick and easy graph at VE if you know your arm's Effective Mass. The visual here is helpful. Resonance Frequency is shown in colors (Green = no problem, Yellow = Maybe, Tan = possible resonance issue.) Here is an output example for the regular Kuzma 4Point 'arm.

I'm glad you like that code. I wrote that about 10 years ago and it was first released on The Cartridge Database (under the tools section). When I lost my free web hosting I gave all of the data, the photos, the PDFs and relevant code from The Cartridge Database to JaS over on the VE. The resonance evaluator originally ran on stored procedures in MS SQL Server. I cannot remember exactly what happened but I think I ported the Resonance evaluator, plus all of the rest of the Cartridge Database tools to run on JavaScript alone. Its been quite a while.

I wrote the evaluator one day when I was running numbers through the simple resonance calculator in the tools section. I got tired of plugging in numbers and it seemed obvious to just run a range of values through the calculation and display them in a table format.

On the Cartridge Database the table appeared differently and I prefer the coloring choices that JaS uses on the VE version.

Here is a link to a place where I put the original Cartridge Database tools: http://www.edsstuff.org/tools.htm. I didn't bother putting up a copy of the resonance evaluator.

Ed
                  Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
                  https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: Walnut VPI Prime TT, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS, Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift, HW-40 Feet
                  Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup + Liberty Audio B2B-1, Stereo Squares Dust Cover, Wayne's Audio Peripheral Ring
                  Analog Care: VPI MW-1, Kirmuss KA-RC-1, Record Doctor V, Hunt EDA VI Brush, AQ Brush, Discwasher Record Care Kit
                  Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
                  Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
                  Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
                  Headphones: Stax SR L700 MkII + Woo Audio GES, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2, Stax Lambda Pro + SRM1 Mk II
                  Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
                  Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice Ed, very nice. I've used this quite a few times when considering another cartridge.

• EdAInWestOC
                    EdAInWestOC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks...I'm glad I could help.

How are you guys calculating effective mass of the 'arm when such data doesn't exist or is suspect?
                  TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                  How are you guys calculating effective mass of the 'arm when such data doesn't exist or is suspect?
                  That's a good question Rob. I've always used the following formula: (with weight scale measured at the cartridge)

(Cartridge/stylus guard mounted to tonearm + Tonearm) - counter weight (removed) = Total Effective Mass (Cartridge + Arm)

Total Effective Mass - Cartridge/stylus guard weight = Tonearm Effective Mass

Arms like the Vertere SG-1 have a sliding weight on the arm which allows fine-tuning of the tracking force, but also allows adjustment of the arm's effective mass. So I measure the minimum and maximum effective mass of the arm.

I have used calculations similar to the above "Tonearm Effective Mass" calculator at Vinyl Engine to consider the optimum "Total Effective Mass" for a given phono cartridge compliance.

Using theoretical calculators (good science) suggests that actual performance is improved by using the tables for guidance. For example, with today's medium mass tonearms and low compliance cartridges like the Denon 103R, it is good to add more mass. That is why the heavy machine aluminum bodied mods typically sound better than the stock low mass 103R's... The low compliance of the 103R was designed originally for the high mass tonearms used in the broadcast industry of the 60's.
                  Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
                  Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
                  Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
                  Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
                  R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
                  Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
                  Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
                  Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
                  Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post

That's a good question Rob. I've always used the following formula: (with weight scale measured at the cartridge)

(Cartridge/stylus guard mounted to tonearm + Tonearm) - counter weight (removed) = Total Effective Mass (Cartridge + Arm)

Total Effective Mass - Cartridge/stylus guard weight = Tonearm Effective Mass

Arms like the Vertere SG-1 have a sliding weight on the arm which allows fine-tuning of the tracking force, but also allows adjustment of the arm's effective mass. So I measure the minimum and maximum effective mass of the arm.

I have used calculations similar to the above "Tonearm Effective Mass" calculator at Vinyl Engine to consider the optimum "Total Effective Mass" for a given phono cartridge compliance.

Using theoretical calculators (good science) suggests that actual performance is improved by using the tables for guidance. For example, with today's medium mass tonearms and low compliance cartridges like the Denon 103R, it is good to add more mass. That is why the heavy machine aluminum bodied mods typically sound better than the stock low mass 103R's... The low compliance of the 103R was designed originally for the high mass tonearms used in the broadcast industry of the 60's.
                    Joe, do you take into account the moment of inertia?

approaching it the other way around one could empoly a cartridge of a known compliance and using the test tone sweeps on a test record assess the output using Feickert Adjust+ or the like (?).
                    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                      Joe Pittman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, I just figure the actual static mass. Real/actual cartridge compliance can vary. Most people don't have FA+. And ultimately I fine tune by ear.
                  Working...
                  X