Lyra Atlas SL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyra Atlas SL

Yes, the Atlas was sitting around while other projects took precedence. But now with the new VPI table and arm in the system, I've been breaking the super low version of the Atlas cartridge (0.25 mV) in. The good news is the cartridge has only been getting better and better with each passing hour (~40 hrs at this point). While I don't have the older Atlas for comparison, it seems that the lower output version is everything its sibling was with a bit less even of the Lyra "sound" and fantastic resolution and neutrality, huge beyond belief soundstage, unrestricted dynamics and very impressive low end. In fact, the low end has to be heard with the new Magicos. This cartridge just has the ability to put meat on the bones.

While the Atlas is certainly one of today's supercartridges, others considering Lyras might thing about--given enough gain--the Etna or Kleos SL.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Wow...had no idea the standard atlas was MOMC...at .56 mV...would pair nicely with the lower output Jensen sut on my Lamm LP1. I find my .3mV Koetsu's sound better, more dynamic with the higher output 70dB sut on the Lamm..than the lower output 60 dB sut.
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
      Wow...had no idea the standard atlas was MOMC...at .56 mV...would pair nicely with the lower output Jensen sut on my Lamm LP1. I find my .3mV Koetsu's sound better, more dynamic with the higher output 70dB sut on the Lamm..than the lower output 60 dB sut.
      Yes it's ever so important to pair the cartridge with the right gain (as say some Phonostages are selectable too). Otherwise it's exactly as you described. Why I eventually parted with my cj phonostage.

I think the CA Statement is around 0.8 mV. Wonder what a lower output version of that cartridge would sound like?

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Interesting on your Atlas SL. I always regretted selling my Atlas...even though I love my ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement v2. (just the name is too long I would not say the Atlas is better than the GoldFinger...they both have their attributes.

It's .6mv vs .8...I think the older versions were .8 possibly...
        Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
        Amps: Nagra HD Pre Amp & HD Amps
        Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus speaker and interconnects
        Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Isolators
        Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
        Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra Classic Phono & PSU
        Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Comment

I agree. They Atlas and CA have different qualities. Though I'd like to compare the SL version of the Atlas with the Statement. The Statement has always impressed me with it's incredible resolution and inner detail. Something that I've always felt the big Clearaudio statement brought out ever more. There were with the Statement inner details to Elvis' voice on Elvis 57 that no other cartridge revealed (new Atlas pending). Nice thing about the standard version of the Atlas and the Statement is they work with practically any phonostage too.

Comment

Myles, what is the 'Lyra' (house) sound? I've never heard one.
            Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

Having limited experience hearing Lyra cartridges, I feel comfortable saying they throw a huge sound stage and they have slamma jamma dynamics with deep, powerful bass.
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Dre_J
                Dre_J commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds right to me.

I think Mark nailed it. Big sounding, linear, dynamic and great deep, fleshed out bass. The mids are fleshed out but strings were often the weakest point say back in the day of the Titan. The newest Lyras do far more justice to strings. Of the cartridges that have had here--and there's lots out there I haven't had in the system-comes the closest to the sound of tape especially when we are talking about ease and dynamics.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
                Having limited experience hearing Lyra cartridges, I feel comfortable saying they throw a huge sound stage and they have slamma jamma dynamics with deep, powerful bass.
                Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                I think Mark nailed it. Big sounding, linear, dynamic and great deep, fleshed out bass. The mids are fleshed out but strings were often the weakest point say back in the day of the Titan. The newest Lyras do far more justice to strings. Of the cartridges that have had here--and there's lots out there I haven't had in the system-comes the closest to the sound of tape especially when we are talking about ease and dynamics.
                I think in both cases careful setup is a good part of the puzzle with these cartridges. In most cases, they tend to excel in dynamics: far above average.
                Every day is a good day to play analog.
                - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Andre: how much of a cartridge's dynamics [in general that is] do you feel are traceable to cartridge setup and how much is attributable to the arm?

• Dre_J
                  Dre_J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Myles,

That's a good (and loaded) question. I'll take the simplistic view in my answer. On the surface, I'd say it's about even.

The 'arm can set a limit on maximum performance. Once a solid 'arm (with the appropriate adjustability) is obtained, setup is key. It (setup) can make the difference between meh, good, really good, great, and OMG! when extracting the highest potential of performance from a cartridge. That's my opinion; others my differ.

Most will say that setting up a cartridge isn't rocket science, and I'd agree: especially since I've been involved with some of the latter. I generally take the approach to such comments (and setup in general) as to each their own. I'm a big believer in "do what you like; the way you like" if it makes one happy. If the owner is happy with whatever method or effort used for cartridge setup, great.

This answer is based on the two (setup and 'arm) things mentioned only. The actual cartridge, phonostage, 'table, cables, etc. were not part of this response.

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed. Phonostage, table, cabled being equal.

One thing that may also be important that is often overlooked is the interaction between the cartridge and arm. Some cartridges are more energetic, others less. (The Atlas designed to dump energy into the arm.) Ergo the ability of the arm to deal with vibrations, inherent resonances and as a result out of phase reflections may also affect dynamics. (Not to mention you can have reflections at the record platter interface.)

As for house sound, would another way to summarize it, since Ian has the A95, be that Lyra and Ortofon have a similar neural, detailed, dynamic and fast presentation for classical, as compared to Koetsu, Kondo IO, or (I don't know what Air Tight or MSL sound like, but he does, so comparing the Lyra to that)? Ian also likes his highs not being rolled off which neither Ortofon or Lyra do. Differences between Lyra and A95 are well documented on this forum, but I think they would both appeal to a similar taste.

Comment

Hey Bonzo

The Ortofon and Lyra are certainly closer on sound compared to Koetsu etc, but they are quite different as well.
                  I am comparing to my A90. The Atlas has better dynamics, drive upper frequency extension. It tracks better as well.
                  The Ortofon is a little more laid back in its delivery and perhaps more delicate.

I think the Atlas retains a little more if its own character, whereas the A90 is a bit more of a chameleon in a slightly reserved manner.

Ian may well prefer the Etna as several Atlas owners have found the Etna just a little less revealing with its slightly different voicing.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    To which Koetsu are you referring? The stone and wood bodied cartridges are apples and oranges.

I think the Ortofon is a little colder sounding than the Atlas, in particular the new SL version. Neither the Atlas or A95 ever seemed to have any tracking issues. In fact tracking ability might quite possibly be the biggest difference between modern day cartridges and those of yesteryear! Another cartridge that tracked like a son of a gun was the ZYX.

While both cartridges fall into the neutral rather than technicolored, "sounds good" camp, the Atlas just offers a bit more of everything. I am looking forward also to hearing the Atlas SL in a non-unipivot arm soon too. Interestingly, I mentioned to another arm designer about the SAT being able to track the Atlas at 1.5 gms and the A95 at 1.7 and he went back and checked in his unipivot and gymballed arms. Interestingly, he found the Atlas and A95 would track at those weights in his gymballed arm but not in the unipivot.

I just think so much of what we hear in a cartridge is directly related to their tracking ability or freedom from "groove jitter." And the more stable the arm, the better the cartridge is able to track which means keeping the stylus centered in the groove as much as possible. And less distortion.

• Metamatic
                    Metamatic commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HI Myles
                    My only Koetsu experience is the Rosewood. pretty ordinary cartridge for a not so ordinary price - IMO.

I know the stone bodies are supposed to be better, but unfortunately can't afford to buy everything :-)

I am looking forward to see how the Atlas sounds in the Thales tonearm.
                    Last edited by Metamatic; 09-05-2016, 12:38 AM.

• MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No problem. I'd feel the same way as you with the Rosewood.

Agree the Atlas is better. But having heard the A95 and Atlas at Myles', the house sound I assume, would appeal to a similar taste, as compared to the house sound for koetsu etc

Comment

Yes agree.

I would not go out and buy a Koetsu again but I would the Ortofon. I prefer to do my seasoning well after the first point of playback. Once it is gone, it is hard to get it back

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
                      Agree the Atlas is better. But having heard the A95 and Atlas at Myles', the house sound I assume, would appeal to a similar taste, as compared to the house sound for koetsu etc
                      Yes but the Atlas is warmer and more fleshed out sounding.

Comment

Can the standard Atlas be upgraded to an SL version at a later date?

Also, what is Lyra's replacement policy on a broken stylus and/or cantilever? Do they force you to buy a new one if yours breaks?

Speakers: Rockport Avior
                        Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II (Silver Edition)
                        Preamp: Pass Labs XS
                        Phono preamp: EMIA LR Phono Corrector, Slagle Silver SUTs
                        Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL Lambda
                        Digital: dCS Network Bridge, dCS Scarlatti DAC
                        Tape: Studer A80 RC, Doshi V3.0

Comment

Working...
                        X