Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Cartridges Still Favor One Type of Music Over Another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Cartridges Still Favor One Type of Music Over Another?

There was a time not so long ago that certain cartridges sounded better on classical than rock or jazz music. Or vice versa. Do you still find that to be true, not true or never true?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Not sure Myles because I have one arm and one cartridge. It happens to be one favoring acoustic music although it still sounds good with rock. Can't you influence the result by the choice of your phono stage and your load and gain setting?
    Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post
      Not sure Myles because I have one arm and one cartridge. It happens to be one favoring acoustic music although it still sounds good with rock. Can't you influence the result by the choice of your phono stage and your load and gain setting?
      And your preamp and your amp/s and your speakers and your various cables and…
      Analog: Holbo Turntable, VdH Crimson Strad XGW; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; Rega RP-8, VAS Nova Mono
      Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
      Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
      Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

I think the latest cartridges have a house sound as much as they always have had. However, average quality has improved in direct proportion to the ever increasing prices. Of the cartridges I have tried, some have excelled at classical on others at rock. I was raised on rock, so I prefer cartridges with attitude, dynamics, power and slam. Some cartridges can have amazing refinement, micro detail and infinite dynamic gradation to separate complex music into well, music, which makes great classical playback. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect cartridge that can do it all, sort of like combining the best aspects of a hooker and Miss America... Ravel Bolero and Deep Purple Smoke On The Water...
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
      Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
      Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
      Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
      Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
      Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
        "... I'm still on the hunt for the perfect cartridge that can do it all, sort of like combining the best aspects of a hooker and Miss America...".
        qualifications for my next wife...that, and one will go for a prenup

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
          I think the latest cartridges have a house sound as much as they always have had. However, average quality has improved in direct proportion to the ever increasing prices. Of the cartridges I have tried, some have excelled at classical on others at rock. I was raised on rock, so I prefer cartridges with attitude, dynamics, power and slam. Some cartridges can have amazing refinement, micro detail and infinite dynamic gradation to separate complex music into well, music, which makes great classical playback. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect cartridge that can do it all, sort of like combining the best aspects of a hooker and Miss America... Ravel Bolero and Deep Purple Smoke On The Water...
          I listen to ~75% classical and the other 25% everything else. Classical music also appreciates "attitude, dynamics, power..." and "amazing refinement, micro detail and infinite dynamic gradation to separate complex music". (I don't use the 'slam' word.)

Maybe there are cartridges with an affinity to genres though I've never bought one for a specific type of music. I'd welcome people posting their experience on which cartridges work well or better with a particular genre.

If it is the case that some cartridges work better with certain genres, is it the case that certain turntables work better with certain genres? After all, the cartridge is responsible for only one axis of the musical wave form.

Comment

• bonzo75
            bonzo75 commented
            Editing a comment
            From whatever carts I have heard, and there are many I have not, I totally agree with the "attitude, dynamics, power..." and "amazing refinement, micro detail and infinite dynamic gradation to separate complex music"

Additionally one thing I shut off immediately on is if the cart is rolled off, like Koetsu. I need the higher timbre on Violins. That said, I do like the SPU anniversaries for certain things, such as tone and body on individual instruments like piano, wind, etc…my ideal cartridge would be an anniversary SPU with the higher end and resolution of the Atlas. The Zyx Uni Premium and Mike’s GFS on the Telos did very well but I would want my ideal cartridge at close to SPU price

A really good cart doesn't favor rock or classical, it can do either with ease...
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I would not recommend the Kiseki Purpleheart for rock, but it is pure bliss for classical, jazz, acoustic, etc. I would imagine certain Koetsu models to be the same.

Comment

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              If it can truly handle the full power of the orchestra, it should be able to handle a rock band

• Analog21
              Analog21 commented
              Editing a comment
              All carts can handle the genres, but whether it sounds sonically pleasing with one genre over another is another matter imho

I listen to a lot of vocals and would say without doubt that the Grado wood body Reference/Statement cartridges excel at them. So, do cartridges favour certain aspects? I guess they do.
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              favoring a frequency band is not the same as favoring a genre.

• Johnny Vinyl
              Johnny Vinyl commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. In the truest sense, but I listen to a lot of acoustic and vocals from every genre, so I thought I'd post it up.
          Working...
          X