Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyra Atlas vs Atlas SL vs Etna SL

Hi Guys

I have owned my Atlas for almost 5.5 years, so its time to get it rebuilt either as an Atlas or SL. The Etna SL is also an option.

Can you owners please give your thoughts on how they compare and sound.

personally I am looking for the most open, neutral with tight bass, dynamics and better leading edge. Probably each cartridge has some of these traits that the others don't quite have.

Btw- I have no interest in any other cartridges. I love the Lyra sound.

cheers

That last line is an unfair way to keep the discussion on track and not let it veer off onto other recommendations.

Comment

• Metamatic
      Metamatic commented
      Editing a comment
      Ked. Unfair - really? Why is that ?

I could easily trade in my A90 on an A95, however the Atlas is better than the A90 on almost every level. The Lyra stylus lasts for at least 3500 hours, around 3 times more than the Ortofon.

I was trying to be funny

Comment

• Metamatic
      Metamatic commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL Smiley always works

I am buying an XGW. I will then compare it with XGP (which is in the same system as an atlas), and am XPP (which is in the same system an Anna)

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
      That last line is an unfair way to keep the discussion on track and not let it veer off onto other recommendations.
      Imagine the gall of someone who wants specific answers/recommendations based on only what he is interested in! It's the only chance you have of keeping people on track, but the train always derails. Before this thread is finished, someone will recommend a new DAC to replace his Lyra cartridge.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Groan, do all you guys need smileys? That was aimed as satire as many such threads run off course with other recommendations

Comment

• Bill Hart
          Bill Hart commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you ever encountered a situation-- from a car crash to an earthquake-- where somebody shouts, "Is anybody an audiophile?"
          Exactly.
          No smiley.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          At least he didn't ask for an animated emoji. If you want me to scroll your post off the screen, put a dancing banana in it.

I would imagine the SL model is a better cartridge if you can set it up and the phono preamp can amplify half the output to a satisfactory level without an objectionable increase in noise.

I I will have my Kleos rebuilt to the SL version when it is time for a rebuild.

The Atlas vs the Etna is only a question you can answer by listening to both.

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo75 View Post
          Groan, do all you guys need smileys? That was aimed as satire as many such threads run off course with other recommendations
          Not me. I got your sense of humor. I just don't blame Meta for trying to keep his thread on track and trying to limit the discussion to the Lyra cartridges he is interested in.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Owned the Atlas for over five years as well. It was my reference even after many tries at being bettered. The standard Etna did some things very well but the Atlas still made the best music to me and my friends. Then I tried the Etna SL. If your phonostage can handle the lower output cleanly(as mentioned above) the Etna SL has my highest recommendation. Pure, powerful, excellent tonality, beautiful textures...I could go on and on. More "real" sounding than even the Atlas SL IMHO. There are only a couple others can compete but they don't say "LYRA" on the box.

Comment

• Metamatic
              Metamatic commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks Steve. My Accuphase or Esoteric phono stage can handle the low output with no issues. cheers

upgrade to Atlas SL is cheaper than Etna SL as I have the trade in - wish I could afford both :-)

With your TW akustic phono, did you try a SUT for lower OMCs?

Comment

• Metamatic
              Metamatic commented
              Editing a comment
              Ked, the TW tube phono is only MC of around 63db gain. adding 20db gain would blow the roof off :-)

It is avery good match with the Atlas, but not so good with dyna XV-1s or Denon DL-S1.

I hope you're planning to have it rebuilt by Lyra directly, becuase the private commercial cartridge guys, though good, often wind up changing the character of the cartridge inadvertantly. It won't be the same when you get it back from them.

Go to the source.

Comment

• Metamatic
              Metamatic commented
              Editing a comment
              Of course. Who seriously would get a retipper to rebuild a Lyra Atlas?

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't think many cartridges are rebuilt anymore. Basically just swap cartridges.

Originally posted by Metamatic View Post
            Hi Guys

I have owned my Atlas for almost 5.5 years, so its time to get it rebuilt either as an Atlas or SL. The Etna SL is also an option.

Can you owners please give your thoughts on how they compare and sound.

personally I am looking for the most open, neutral with tight bass, dynamics and better leading edge. Probably each cartridge has some of these traits that the others don't quite have.

Btw- I have no interest in any other cartridges. I love the Lyra sound.

cheers
            I'm really not sure of the Atlas SL I believe Myles has one. However, I do have the Atlas and the Etna SL. I love the Atlas powerful and articulate- it can be explosive.

I'm telling you though,the detail of the Etna SL throughout the every register is uncanny- not just false high frequency tinge that can fool you - it is incredible. In some ways it is better than the Atlas.

I have have the Goldfinger Statement as well ... still in the box the jury will still be out. The Etna SL gets my highest recommendation. I don't believe I have 100 hrs on it yet..... it will get better soon... should be spectacular.

Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
            Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
            Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
            Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
            Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
            Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• jfrech
              jfrech commented
              Editing a comment
              Curious to your thoughts when you mount the GF statement. I had a Atlas...my dealer brought over a GF statement...mounted it. And...Atlas was sold. I've owned 5 lyra's in my life, I am sure I'll get another one soon. The GF Statement is special too...

Don't mean to drift off course here...maybe post a new thread after you mount it and give it 100+ hours.
              Last edited by jfrech; 06-29-2017, 08:54 AM. Reason: added context

• Metamatic
              Metamatic commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr Frech. Time for another Lyra me thinks 😎

• jfrech
              jfrech commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm wondering if Lyra will replace the Atlas soon...given how everyone seems to love the Etna SL. I've owned a Lydian b, Helicon, Skala (x2), Atlas over about a 15 year period. Each successive model was clearly better. I kinda kicked myself for not buying a Olympos SL when they were available.

Originally posted by kcin View Post

I'm really not sure of the Atlas SL I believe Myles has one. However, I do have the Atlas and the Etna SL. I love the Atlas powerful and articulate- it can be explosive.

I'm telling you though,the detail of the Etna SL throughout the every register is uncanny- not just false high frequency tinge that can fool you - it is incredible. In some ways it is better than the Atlas.

I have have the Goldfinger Statement as well ... still in the box the jury will still be out. The Etna SL gets my highest recommendation. I don't believe I have 100 hrs on it yet..... it will get better soon... should be spectacular.
            thanks for that kcin. Sounds like the SL of each model brings up the resolution and detail without any brightness. Fremer said the SL version of the Etna was an even bigger leap over the non SL vs the SL version of the Atlas.

I think I will probably go Atlas SL as its 1/3rd less than the Etna SL when you have an Atlas as a rebuild. Be nice to have both

Comment

Nice choice. I would go Atlas SL if I had the scratch to spend.

Comment

I think the money is better spent on the tonearm, it makes the cart less critical, its still critical but less so.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You aren't going to buy an Atlas unless you have a top flight arm.
              Working...
              X