No announcement yet.

Lyra Atlas vs Atlas SL vs Etna SL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I purchased my Etna SL about 3 weeks ago and have about 50 hours on it. Previously I had a Benz Micro LPS. I am really enjoying the greater detail with the Etna, especially in the mid-range. The LPS is much more lush. It still needs some time break in but I like what I hear.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Basis 2200 Signature with Calibration Base, Vector 4 Tonearm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Comment

I am in between, Tima. The Opus1 has tone, texture, temperature, definition, dimensionality, energy, dynamic that sounds real to me. But it lacks the low end that often gives solidity to live music. It has quick tight bass, but not so deep.The presentation is a bit upfront and the size and scale of vocals and instruments are slightly larger than what I perceive is real. On the other hand, the Atlas SL presents the most realistic size and scale. It sounds closest to tape. However, I think tape sounds more like what the microphone is hearing not my ears hearing. Its bottom end is very solid putting music on ground with more solid placement. But I dont find the Atlas SL offer the dimensionality, tone and texture of the Opus1. You once describe the sound of Monaco V2, "Sound no longer a surface. They appear as object with dimensions and depth." Thats the same as how Opus1 compare to Atlas SL on these regards. My comments here are what I heard limited to playing with certain arms, tts and phono cable. If I play mix and match more I might arrive at a different opinion. I am still searching for that all in one Opus plus Atlas SL cart.

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
        Thanks for the follow up. I do agree that the Atlas has that neck snapping attack- The Etna SL is incredibly detailed . Many of my listening friends prefer it over the Atlas.
        Etna SL may be more tonally accurate. The Atlas is very exciting. Yes , when I use the the term neck snapping I suppose I'm embellishing. How about great and forceful dynamic contrasts?
        Front end: Aesthetix Io Signature with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
        Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics
        Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

• tima
          tima commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. Tough choices. I do love both tonality and impact to the limits of what is lifelike and not beyond.

SL .15mV needs a quiet hi gain phonostage...big time.
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
          It's not that low.

Output voltage: 0.25 mV@5 cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)

Comment

Originally posted by Metamatic View Post

It's not that low.

Output voltage: 0.25 mV@5 cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)
            That's good then. My SL Olympos Mono is .15mV...needed all the gain I could give.
            Christian
            System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
              It's really not that bad. The Io will do it no problem. Koetsu is similar.
              Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
              Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics

Comment

• tima
                tima commented
                Editing a comment
                I suspect ARC Ref 10 will too.

Originally posted by Tango View Post
              I am in between, Tima. The Opus1 has tone, texture, temperature, definition, dimensionality, energy, dynamic that sounds real to me. But it lacks the low end that often gives solidity to live music. It has quick tight bass, but not so deep.The presentation is a bit upfront and the size and scale of vocals and instruments are slightly larger than what I perceive is real. On the other hand, the Atlas SL presents the most realistic size and scale. It sounds closest to tape. However, I think tape sounds more like what the microphone is hearing not my ears hearing. Its bottom end is very solid putting music on ground with more solid placement. But I dont find the Atlas SL offer the dimensionality, tone and texture of the Opus1. You once describe the sound of Monaco V2, "Sound no longer a surface. They appear as object with dimensions and depth." Thats the same as how Opus1 compare to Atlas SL on these regards. My comments here are what I heard limited to playing with certain arms, tts and phono cable. If I play mix and match more I might arrive at a different opinion. I am still searching for that all in one Opus plus Atlas SL cart.
              Ah, classic tradeoffs and both with desirable attributes. I grasp why you have one of each. Excellent post and thank you.

And do let us know if you find that all-in-one.
              Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

after 5 months Atlas returns with a SL makeover.

moving Etna SL to exclusive P3 and fit Atlas SL to the Thales.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
                  Excellent description, Tango. I suspect that given your interest in combining the best of Opus and Atlas SL that the MSL Signature Platinum might be a very interesting candidate. I find that in my system on my SME table and arm that the MSL Sig. Gold is very much like my AirTight Supreme except that it has better dynamics, snap, very accurate transients and is more extended both high and low than the Supreme. The Supreme is a bit more sweet and beautiful, especially with strings as I recall. I have been listening exclusively to the Sig. Gold for a year. The Sig. Platinum might just take everything up a notch and be the best, most complete combination of attributes, but that is only a guess from afar. You will know once yours is broken in. Congratulations.
                  SME 30/12, Air Tight Supreme, MSL Sig. Gold, Pass Labs XA160.5, XP20, XP25, Magico Mini II

Comment

Congratulations on getting your SL'd Atlas back.

Every day is a good day to play analog.
                    12" 33.3/45rpm vinyl or 10.5" 15/30ips tape

Comment

Nice, I'm very interested in your impressions of the SL vs the standard Atlas. I have the Etna SL as well. Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                      X