Mounting template like Shure V15 MKV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting template like Shure V15 MKV

Hello all, I have three tables all mounted with Shure V15 MKV cartridges with Jico styluses. All perform and track fantastic, lately been thinking of adding a moving coil which got me thinking about mounting cartridges and overhang. The beauty of the Shure was that it came with a mounting template where you slide the cartridge (sans stylus) that is already mounted on the tonearm, against this template and quickly and effectively align the overhang...voila no need for magnifying glasses or taking digital photos. Verifying with my Dennesen protractor has always confirmed how effective this method is. I attach a photo for all to see if you don't know what I m talking about. This prompts me to ask, does any other current cartridge manufacturer offer something similar that anyone might know about as I think this method is pure genius.

Jigs are only useful for specific arms. For each spindle-to-pivot dimension, there is an optimum null point relative to the spindle for low-noise geometries such as Baerwald, Löfgren, Stevenson, etc. See the current thread discussing templates. The adjustment in a headshell (moving cartridge forward-backward in the slot) changes the overhang which is one of the most important IMO.

Jigs look good but may actually be very inaccurate for achieving lowest noise.

But ultimately it is important for everyone to understand that all cartridges have unique characteristics due to manufacturing variation, stylus orientation on cantilever, SRA, compliance precision, unit-to-unit variation/tolerances/QC, wear, aging and so on. And consequently, all set-up/alignment tools methodology only get you in the neighborhood. So trust your ears.

I'll pick on Shure as an example of unit-to-unit variation. Historically, Shure production has variation in each production batch as is common with cartridges at that price point. Within each batch there can be a great unit, a bad unit and a bunch of average performers, a basic natural distribution curve. I had a friend in the business who did Shure cartridge installation for a large retail outfit. He would test 10 cartridges at a time and keep the best for himself. I heard several of these and can confirm that that extreme effort can be justified. Which also shows that if you are lucky, you can have a Shure cartridge that is amazing.
    Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
    Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
    Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
    Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
    Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
    Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
    Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
    A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
    Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Good points but after setting up with the Shure jig I use my Dennesen protractor to confirm the overhang and it is spot on. The great thing of the Shure jig is that you mount it on the platter through the spindle and use the jig to achieve perfect Stephenson (I think) alignment. Why others have not found a similar way is a mystery. Interesting comments about the Shure QC.

Comment

Like Joe said, there are tone arm manufacturers that have model specific jigs that will substitute a protractor with good results (Graham, Spiral Groove, Thales, et al). I'm not aware of a cartridge specific jig in the realm of MC carts, esp when you move up in the performance/price ladder.

Comment

Thank you, I suspected as I have never seen one specifically for cartrdies, my SME arms all come with their own tonearm jig but a good protractor is better. Pity none for cartridges but then again that is why I use SME arms as they do take away the guess work of fidgeting with the overhang.

Comment

doesn't a good cartridge alignment jig take overhang into account?
            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

And yet JCOConell this Shure jig is spot on with overhang.

Comment

Working...
              X