Newly Arrived: Colibri Stradivarius Signature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Arrived: Colibri Stradivarius Signature

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170721_150959.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	59939Click image for larger version  Name:	20170721_151021.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	59940Click image for larger version  Name:	20170721_151039.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	59941
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

looks like a Colibri to me (owned 7 of them back in the day).

each one unique......which can be astonishing....or....maybe not so much.

that short cantilever can drag dust balls (on the magnet assembly hanging down so close) if your arm and mounting geometry is not compatible.

best wishes on your exciting adventure.

Comment

I am officially jealous.....
      Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI Mag Drive / Rim Drive HRX w Avenger Reference footers, 2 - 12" VPI 3DR tonearms, 1 - 12" VPI Stainless Steel tonearm, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Truth Mod OPPO 105, Western Electric Speaker wire, DIY & Discovery interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

No stylus guard! This requires some nerves of steel for setting up this beauty on your tonearm. I guess you are used to this with the Lyra.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
          looks like a Colibri to me (owned 7 of them back in the day).

each one unique......which can be astonishing....or....maybe not so much.

that short cantilever can drag dust balls (on the magnet assembly hanging down so close) if your arm and mounting geometry is not compatible.

best wishes on your exciting adventure.
          The Colibri I recently reviewed for PFO was terrific. Interestingly, I didn't have any issues with dust. (Are you saying the Colibri is a low rider?) That's in contrast to the Atlas or Atlas SL that is a dust magnet. There's something about the Atlas's stylus shape that just cleans the groove. No other cartridge that I've had here does that.

This is the vdh Colibri Stradivarius Signature. As you know, AJ has a tradition of designing and making a new cartridge every two years. This is his latest effort and his attack on the SOTA in cartridge design. The output of the Signature is a bit higher though than the Stradivarius I reviewed. 0.75 vs. 0.38. Though I am sure that AJ can adjust the output upon request. I think the list is $10,800.

We will see how it sounds. Have lots of cool analog toys here for review including the vdh and KLaudio arm with Chris Mara's tape machine arriving soon. Oh to be an analog ❤️ in 2017!

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by dcc View Post
            No stylus guard! This requires some nerves of steel for setting up this beauty on your tonearm. I guess you are used to this with the Lyra.
            While one can never get to cocky, you get used to setting up naked cartridges. Having a detachable arm wand and attaching the leads before mounting the cartridge makes it easier. YMMV.

Look at the plus side. I feel much more confident aligning a naked cartridge than one of these fat bodied, short cantilever cartridges! Makes sighting down that cantilever a million times easier.

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              im in the cocky group...many of my carts come from collections and/or collectors that lose the stylus guard along the way so i'm quite used to not having one or not using the ones i have. in all my years i've never unintentionally broken a cantilever and on average i change out 10-20 carts a year (about once a month or more)

• tima
              tima commented
              Editing a comment
              Does that mean you don't have a maid? ;->

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              [ahem] yer looking at her

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	59972 I recently installed the model just below the Signature. This particular one was the one built , live at Axpona 2017, and than tenderly tweaked by AJ Van Den Hul.......it's definitely one of the best, if not the best ( still breaking in with around 30 hours on it) cartridges I have ever heard. It's something special. Think you will enjoy the Signature version Myles.

Cheers.......

Comment

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the Triangle Arts table and arm.

• Mrjazz
              Mrjazz commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, the Triangle Arts Reference SE, and the OSIRIS arm. Very good analogue front end. Very heavy and a bear to set up (275 pounds )....

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the look of your table in black. Gold is too blingy looking IMHO.

Originally posted by Mrjazz View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	59972 I recently installed the model just below he Signature. This particular one was the one built , live at Axpona 2017, and than tenderly tweaked by AJ Van Den Hul.......it's definitely one of the best, if not the best ( still breaking in with around 30 hours on it) cartridges I have ever heard. It's something special. Think you will enjoy the Signature version Myles.

Cheers.......
            http://positive-feedback.com/reviews...oil-cartridge/

Comment

You're in for a treat Myles. Quite different from the standard bird. Looking forward to your results on the SAT vs the VPI arms.
              Drop us a few hints on how things are progressing every now and then...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveD View Post
                You're in for a treat Myles. Quite different from the standard bird. Looking forward to your results on the SAT vs the VPI arms.
                Drop us a few hints on how things are progressing every now and then...
                I always do. Just trying right now to get the system sounding just a but better first. Like with treating the power cords with the cable Cooker. Has taken the system-at least with tape at the moment-to another level. Just sounds less mechanical and artificial now.

Comment

Working...
                X