"New" Cartridge in the house FR-7f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Cartridge in the house FR-7f

Today I received the last piece of the puzzle for my Fidelity Research experiment.

A very nice FR-7f. This will compliment the FR 64s and B60 base. I will try to install and set it up this week. I'm excited to see how this vintage cartridge and some other more modern ones fit in with FR 64s.

If there is any interest I will report back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533 (002).jpg
Views:	242
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	99837

Name:	IMG_1542 (002).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	99838

Name:	IMG_3444.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	99839
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

I'm interested. I'm a former owner of an FR-64s with the silver wiring.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Hit a snag with the arm board not having enough offset to set the geometry. I am getting it bored out and will continue shortly.
      Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X

Comment

Thanks for the update.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Finally getting closer. The Brinkmann arm pod was not friendly to the massive B 60 heavy nut on the VTA lifter. I had to improvise wedge it in and get things machined 2x. A real bummer.

Regardless, after a large struggle with the geometry because of the "heavy nut" under the skirt of the armboard-its tight under there.The geometry is finally good. Too tired to continue - accidents happen that way. I will run the FR7f for a bit.

I just ordered the AS Arche head shell and once that comes in on goes the Koetsu.

Stay tuned.

Name:	IMG_1725 (002).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	103641

Name:	IMG_1723 (002).jpg
Views:	216
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	103642

Comment

Has anyone looking at this thread taken an fr7 and had it rebuilt with different stylus profile or other changes to emulate the higher models?

(I have an fr7. It's a nice cart, but could be improved I'm sure. I've toyed with the idea of sending it off for a remake...)
            Regards,

Erik
            http://solypsa.com
            North American distributor for:
            Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
            STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

Hi I regularly get to listen to, here at a local friend's,
              FR 7f “PW 1” (specially made probably for record cutting plant or radio ‘Professional World’)
              FR7 fz
              FR 7 fc

On a FR 66s on a brinkmann balance with an Allnic phono and get to compare it to various SPUs, Decca London reference and koetsu urushi vermilion and the jade with diamond cantilever. The FR is very good for the money but quite limited in the range of music, I would rather have the Decca (the blue is supposed to be very good and lower priced) or the urushi from that collection, followed by the SPU classic.

Of the FR, we liked the FC closely followed by the PW1.

Arche headshell is used with the various carts

Comment

• kcin
                kcin commented
                Editing a comment
                Lots of data points in same setting.... good stuff. Any FR7 cartridge beyond the 'f" is exceedingly rare and expensive. At that point I would definitely go for a headshell and modern type cartridge like a stone body Koetsu.

Originally posted by solypsa View Post
              Has anyone looking at this thread taken an fr7 and had it rebuilt with different stylus profile or other changes to emulate the higher models?

(I have an fr7. It's a nice cart, but could be improved I'm sure. I've toyed with the idea of sending it off for a remake...)
              If you go over to Audiogon, there are several threads on FR arms and cartridges. Some of the European participants claim they have modified FR7 cartridges with different stylus and cantilever types. Jonathan Carr chimes in with interesting technical advice as well.

I have an Arche headshell coming in the next day or so and and I will try my Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum on that combo as soon as I get it.

Comment

Working...
              X