Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Phono Cables are You Using With Your Tonearm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffk View Post
    I'm looking for a new tonearmcable as well. I'm running a Dynavector XV1-T into a Ypsilon MC-16 SUT then to a Lamm Lp2. I have the audience low Z and a Nordost Tyr. I like them both but prefer the detail and interplay of the tyr, and the bass and groove of the audience. Tyr also accentuate some sibilance, but it is the one I run most often. Looking for advice on upgrades. I like detail and music interplay, but also value a thick emotional midrange. Rock/ jazz almost exclusively. Probably going used, up to 2k. Cheaper is fine.

Jeff
    Anyone looking for a new cable of that description should really consider some of the amazing stuff SR are making at the moment. Since they came away from the whole active shield thing ist just been a game changer:
    At Synergistic Research, we continue to push the upper limits of superior performance, and we are excited to introduce two new products in our Phono Cable

Comment

• dan31
      dan31 commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried the recent SR phono cables? If so please share your impressions.

• Billy Shears
      Billy Shears commented
      Editing a comment
      I am currently using SR Tricon 20th with Cadenza Bronze Cart, Roksan Pug Tonearm and DX2 Ref Phonostage. All the SR Cables sound incredibly 3-Dimensional with a amazing soundstage. I would say that that is the main characteristic of all their cables. Stuff like quiet backgrounds good Dynamic range and tonal balance are also present but its the 3-D effect that jumps out at you. I am finding them very hard to fault. Had the Furutech AG-12 and Kimber TAK-H in my system before. Apart from the superlative build quality of the AG-12 I don't miss either cable anymore...

Currently running the Nordost Odin2 and Vahalla2 phono cables on my tonearms and SUT

Comment

Originally posted by FrancisHuang View Post
      Currently running the Nordost Odin2 and Vahalla2 phono cables on my tonearms and SUT
      Can you say more Francis? I'm seriously considering one of those two phono cables.
      Spkr: Wilson Alexias; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata ╬×tron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class XL plus2 amp stands, Stillpoints 5s under spkrs; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

• tima
        tima commented
        Editing a comment
        V. helpful. Thanks.

• fcrowder
        fcrowder commented
        Editing a comment
        Having switched from the earlier Odin1 tone arm cable, I would like to make several observations. I was never ever able with the Odin1 to totally eliminate hum although I did get it down to a point where you had to be very near the speaker to hear it. With the Odin2, the problem disappeared. I think that came as a result of two changes, I) on which end the shield was connected and ii) the new connectors which replaced the WBT's and make much better contact with ground. Neither Odin editorializes. They both strive toward accuracy. I probably have a stronger preference for the Odin over the Valhalla as I previous to the Odin1 owned the Valhalla1 phono cable.

• tima
        tima commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Fred.

You are most welcome

Comment

AQ Leopard. I don't have lots of experience with phono cables but this one seems to do a fine job of delivering the delicate signal to the phono preamp.

Ed
        Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
        https://www.edsstuff.org
        VPI Prime : VPI 3 Belt Drive : VPI Dual Pivot : VPI ADS : Ortofon Quintet Black S : Tru-Lift : AQ Leopard : Liberty Audio B2B-1 : Kimber Hero : *Audible Illusions L1 : *Adcom GFA-555II : Kimber 8TC : Magnepan MGMC1 : TASCAM UH-7000 : Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai : NAD 446 : Stax Lambda Pro : Thorens TD-126 IIB : Denon DP-62L : Schiit Lyr 2 : Schiit Modi Multibit : Schiit Wyrd : HiFi Man HE-400S
        *Modified/Customized Component

Comment

• PSAF
          PSAF commented
          Editing a comment
          Just got one!

• tom_hankins
          tom_hankins commented
          Editing a comment
          I used one of these for a few years. Good cable!

I just purchase a Nordost Valhalla V2 and am loving it. Everything is improved over the Tyr and Audience Low Z I was using. The soundstage is much better defined front to back and I am hearing deeper into recordings I know very well. The way it distributes lp noise in the soundstage make it easy to ignore. I'm shocked at how good it is. Running a Dynavector XV-1T into a Ypsillon MC16 to a Lamm Lp2. Best combo I've heard in my system.

Comment

Working...
        X