What other phonostage is compareable to the EAR 834P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What other phonostage is compareable to the EAR 834P

I was able to compare 3 phono stages in my system. The stock phono board in my Modwright LS100, an EAR 834P (deluxe Version) and a PS Audio GCPH. I likes the EAR the best of the three. I also listened to the PS Audio Stellar but not at the same time so I cant say if I would have liked it better than the EAR. Question is what tube phono is comparable to the EAR. I like the glorious tube sound so I guess I am not necessarily looking for neutral lol. Suggestions? Modwright PH 9.0? ATA? Thanks.

This is the place to ask but so much missing information. Budget, cartridge and TT used, goals, synergy with other gear. What did you like or dislike about the 3 you tried. What are you looking to gain thy did not provide.
    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

VPI Classic 2 with Dynavector 20X2L Modwright LS100 Preamp into Wells Audio Innamorata. Budget up to $2500-2800.
      I thought the CGCPH was srrident. The Stellar was good but I did not do a direct comparison but it is not as "warm" as the EAR. The JC3+ was good but didn't do anything for me. I feel strongly about the luscious sounding mids in the EAR. Not sure if a Manley Chinook has that sound. I don't like the construction of the EAR seems quite cheap but the sound is classic tube sound. i hope this helps.

Comment

As an aside TimdP is quite a character. He has long maintained he can make a tube and transistor circuit sound exactly the same etc. I've had a few funny exchanges with him back when I had my vinyl mastering studio. At any rate I'm guessing the iron in the Ear is part of the sound you like. With that in mind have you tried running your ls100 as MM and using with an outboard SUT? (Maybe even an Ear...) In doing so you swap to a lower gain tube (and a since good 12ax7 are expensive that is useful for a few reasons). I haven't heard the Modwright so this is a reply based on principle and general experience. A SUT and possibly a really well selected first tube might get you there with change in the pocket for an eventual cart upgrade...
        Regards,

Erik
        http://solypsa.com
        North American distributor for:
        Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
        STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

I went directly from an EAR 834P, which I liked, to a ModWright PH 9.0, and I prefer the ModWright by a healthy margin. It’s a better all-around performer IMO.
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Lol this is getting interesting. A friend lent me hi Art Audio Vinyl One Pre. Haven't listened to it yet maybe later this week. Anyone know this unit?

Comment

I noticed that I had not updated this in a long time. After auditioning several units in my system (PS Audio GCPH, Stellar, Parasound JC3+, Art Audio Vinyl One, EAR 834, I ended up with I believe was an excellent unit. My goal was a tube phono, my selection was a Art Audio Vinyl Reference (by K & K Audio).

Comment

Originally posted by jimbones View Post
                I noticed that I had not updated this in a long time. After auditioning several units in my system (PS Audio GCPH, Stellar, Parasound JC3+, Art Audio Vinyl One, EAR 834, I ended up with I believe was an excellent unit. My goal was a tube phono, my selection was a Art Audio Vinyl Reference (by K & K Audio).
                Great choice! Congratulations on a really good phonostage.
                SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
                DIGITAL - Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
                PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
                PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
                AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
                SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
                CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Herron makes an outstanding tube phono stage , but I think its $3K.street better late than never!
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
                  X