No announcement yet.

To SUT or new Phono Stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put my Hans ML back in. It does not play well with the SUT that works very well with my Denon 103R. Yes, I agree you need a SUT designed to funtion optimally with your chosen cart.
    PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Custom SET 845 monoblocks, Dartzeel NHB108, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp, Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

I did some experimenting with my SUT last night. It is a cinemag Bobs device that is suppose to work with my Denon 103R. And it does just that very well. It make my Midas Denon with Sapphire cantilever perform at a much higher level than my Allnic MC input.

I put my Hana ML back in and went back an forth between the Bobs and the Allnic H1201 MC input. The Allnic is also a SUT. The Allnic MC input is better than the Bobs with the Hana.

This tells me, if you want to use a SUT, you need one that is wound to work optimally with the cartridge you intend to use it with. They don't just universally work across the board. Or at least the Bobs device does not.

Bob did tell me he had a particular SUT that did work well with Hana. I have not purchased one as I don't know I even want to pursue Hana as a option in the more premium phono cartridge line. I am thinking maybe a Ortofon Verismo. But I am waiting to see what Solypsis comes up with. He has some new product lines I want to explore.
      Rex
      PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Custom SET 845 monoblocks, Dartzeel NHB108, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp, Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Is your shielding only connected at the one end
        and floating at the upstream end.
        People make that mistake alot, hum can be a
        Pain to get rid of as you know, Good Luck
        Amp-McIntosh MC501x2,ATI 2505,ATI 1505,Innersound amp
        Preamp-McIntosh c2200,Marantz AV7005
        Phono Pre-Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE
        Speakers-Innersound Eros w/new panels and woofers,
        Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,Paradigm 80's 60's and CC350
        Crossover-DBX Venu 360
        Analog-Hanss T-60/SME V,Hana SL,2-Sony APR 5003,Revox B77
        Digital-Sony SCD XA5400ES, JRIVER Media Center
        Wadia DI122 DAC
        Subs-2 Velodyne HGS10's,2 Velodyne 1200's
        Tuner-Revox B760 McIntosh MR74 Sony XDR F1HD
        JVC Projector,Draper electric 92" screen
        Room dedicated 27'x16'x10', Bass traps
        VPI 17 record cleaning machine

Comment

Originally posted by russe41 View Post
          Is your shielding only connected at the one end
          and floating at the upstream end.
          People make that mistake alot, hum can be a
          Pain to get rid of as you know, Good Luck
          Yes, the shield drain is only connected at the preamp. Otherwise I would creat parallel ground paths.
          I have tried 3 phono preamps reciently. Non are it yet. Either very quiet but not engaging. Or beautiful, but too much hum. Vinyl is a beautiful media to listen too. But it takes work to make function at a high level.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
            I did some experimenting with my SUT last night. It is a cinemag Bobs device that is suppose to work with my Denon 103R. And it does just that very well. It make my Midas Denon with Sapphire cantilever perform at a much higher level than my Allnic MC input.

I put my Hana ML back in and went back an forth between the Bobs and the Allnic H1201 MC input. The Allnic is also a SUT. The Allnic MC input is better than the Bobs with the Hana.

This tells me, if you want to use a SUT, you need one that is wound to work optimally with the cartridge you intend to use it with. They don't just universally work across the board. Or at least the Bobs device does not.

Bob did tell me he had a particular SUT that did work well with Hana. I have not purchased one as I don't know I even want to pursue Hana as a option in the more premium phono cartridge line. I am thinking maybe a Ortofon Verismo. But I am waiting to see what Solypsis comes up with. He has some new product lines I want to explore.
            Rex
            Transformers transform impedance. So if your cartridge is working fine with a certain SUT and then you try a different cartridge with a different impedance, it likely won't sound right until you change the load on the output of the transformer.

Put another way, the ideal load (since there is an ideal load, which loads the transformer at something called 'critical damping' where it does the best squarewave response with minimal overshoot) varies along with the source (cartridge) impedance.

And now you know one reason why I like to run the cartridge direct if I can. Getting the loading right on an SUT is essential (if the SUT is meant for a certain cartridge, its a good bet the correct load is 47K). Jensen published a chart of loading values for their transformers for all the known cartridges. If you don't have that information for your particular SUT, welcome to the Wild West. Or the cold, however you want to look at it.

Comment

What do you mean direct Ralph?
              What do you think of Transimpedance preamps?

Comment

Working...
              X