Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe

My Allnic H5000 DHT power supply died suddenly a couple of days ago. The unit just shipped off to Korea for repair. In the meantime David K was kind enough to set me up with a Lamm demo while I am phono stageless. Listening to RTR now. I should have the Lamma Slamma by Friday. It will be an interesting contrast with my Allnic. If I really like the Lamm sound in my system I will keep this or go for the LP1 and maintain two reference phono's stages.
    Christian
    System Gear

I never owned Vlad's phono stage- had his line stage and still have my ML2 amps, which are timeless in my estimation. Be interested in your reaction.

Comment

I know they will sound very different. It would be interesting for you to compare the LP vs tape for the phono section and see which phono stage comes closer. I think you will love the liquidity and midrange of the LAMM but perhaps feel the Allnic is a little more open and detailed?
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
        I know they will sound very different. It would be interesting for you to compare the LP vs tape for the phono section and see which phono stage comes closer. I think you will love the liquidity and midrange of the LAMM but perhaps feel the Allnic is a little more open and detailed?
        I was told the older version's were less open sounding. Looking forward to seeing if the Lamm house sound works for me....
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post

I was told the older version's were less open sounding. Looking forward to seeing if the Lamm house sound works for me....
          I think Tim or David are a little more of an authority on the LAMM sound.

I was most familiar with the early LAMM gear because my audiobuddy Lars Fredell was driving his Verity Parsifal with the LAMM amps and preamplifier. I thought it on the dark side but back in those days, that was a blessing with digital. It's my impression that LAMM has changed over the years but it might still be there. Though Vlad claims it's all part of the psychoacoustical package incorporated into his designs. I'll be interested in your feedback. One thing is sure. The sound will be beguiling.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I predict it will be dark and less detailed, but I look forward to your impressions.

I recently tried the Ypsilon (still have it actually) and while it wasn't dark per se, it was very rolled off and put me to sleep. Reminded me of my very first phono stage, a Manley Steelhead.
            Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

Originally posted by Madfloyd View Post
              I predict it will be dark and less detailed, but I look forward to your impressions.

I recently tried the Ypsilon (still have it actually) and while it wasn't dark per se, it was very rolled off and put me to sleep. Reminded me of my very first phono stage, a Manley Steelhead.
              That is interesting. What Ypsilon SUT are you using.
              I guess you are comparing it vs the xp25.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Metamatic View Post

That is interesting. What Ypsilon SUT are you using.
                I guess you are comparing it vs the xp25.

Cheers
                The SUT was an Ikeda.
                Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

Too bad you couldn't wrangle a listen to the new Doshi phonostage. Sonically it's somewhere between where you were (PASS) and are (Allnic).

Comment

• rockitman
                    rockitman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Quite honestly, I'm not in the market for a new phono stage. My H5000 is dialed in to perfection. That said, I wanted to hear the Lamm sound. If I like this preamp I will keep it in addition to the Allnic. If the LP2.1 is on par or even better in my system than the H5000, I may consider the LP1 Sig. We shall see.

Ian-Please let us know if you ever become satisfied with the sound of your system.
                  Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

Ian-Please let us know if you ever become satisfied with the sound of your system.
                    You'll be the first to know.

Comment

You'll be the first to know.
                      Thanks. I know one guy on another forum that buys every shiny new piece of audio gear that he sees. Sometimes he sells the new "must have" gear before he even takes it out of the box. He's like a heroin addict who needs multiple daily fixes. He buys so much gear that he is embarrassed to tell everyone how much gear he really bought each week and the amount he discloses that he buys is just absurd. People still backslap him and congratulate him like his new purchase really means a damn thing to him when it will probably be up for sale the following week.

You on the other hand seem to live in a perpetual state of unhappiness with your room and your system. You seem to change gear hoping to cure the ills you perceive and/or capture an aspect of something you liked when you heard someone else's system. I can't help but think that your room and it's layout is having a negative impact on your overall sound and making the very expensive gear you own not able to be heard at the true level it's capable of. I know you have dismissed all suggestions of building a dedicated room to house your very expensive system, but in the end your room may well be setting your performance bar to a standard that keeps you dissatisfied and perpetually changing out gear in hopes of getting the sound you are chasing. it really doesn't matter if your system sounds OK when you are in the kitchen eating dinner if it makes you unhappy when you are sitting in the supposed sweet spot.
                      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Ian- buy a building. Like an old industrial loft and stabilize it. Use it for your main system, and eventually, the real estate may be worth flipping or converting to residential space which you could rent or convert to condos.
                        Christian- have you made the pilgrimage to hear the Great Karmeli's system? It's on my list, but then so is a visit to your place. Horns, baby, Horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
                          Christian- have you made the pilgrimage to hear the Great Karmeli's system? It's on my list, but then so is a visit to your place. Horns, baby, Horns.
                          David has invited me out to Utah. I just haven't found the time or motivation to travel out there yet. One day I will.
                          Christian
                          System Gear

Comment

David has invited me out to Utah. I just haven't found the time or motivation to travel out there yet. One day I will.
                            It could be worth the trip based on comments we have read from those who have visited.

Comment

Working...
                            X