D'Agostino Momentum Phono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D'Agostino Momentum Phono

As a happy D'Agostino Integrated amplifier owner I've been looking forward to trying a Momentum Phono amp for a long time.
    Finally able to evaluate one in my system this week, compliments of D'Agostino dealer The Audio Salon.

As I had hoped, beautiful sonic blend with my other amplification.
    More than enough gain for Etna SL.

Listening to Music From Big Pink reissue last night brought the boys back live and into my room.

How's that for hyperbole?

Speakers: Magico M3; Amplification: D'Agostino Momentum Integrated; Phono Preamp: Vitus Audio MP-P201; Turntable: TechDas AF2; Tonearm: SAT; Cartridge: Lyra Etna SL; Signal Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo; Power Conditioners and Cables: Shunyata Triton/Denali/Sigma; Component Platforms: Adona/HRS; Room Treatments: RPG

Congrats, Mike! Beautiful setup there!

We've been living with the D'Agostino Phono for a year now (funnily enough, paired with the D'Agostino Integrated!), and it's by far the best phono I've ever heard.

We should be receiving the Audio Research Ref 10 soon, another top shelf piece, so I'm curious how the D'Ag will stack up to that.

cheers,
    alex
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

• Bruce B
      Bruce B commented
      Editing a comment
      That's saying quite a bit since you also have the darTZeel to compare. Must be an awesome piece!!

• Alex Siufy
      Alex Siufy commented
      Editing a comment
      tima,

We just became dealers for Audio Research! We got a few units coming in next week, although I don't know if the Ref 10 Phono is among them...

Bruce B,

I don't currently have the darTZeel mk2 on hand. We might get one soon as well. But the darTZeel mk1 was the quietest phono stage I've ever heard, with the battery supply and being in the same chassis as the line stage (so no interconnect) and the D'Agostino is right up there. That says a lot about the D'Ag!

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats on the dealership. Lotta solid brands in your shop!

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
    As a happy D'Agostino Integrated amplifier owner I've been looking forward to trying a Momentum Phono amp for a long time.
    Finally able to evaluate one in my system this week, compliments of D'Agostino dealer The Audio Salon.

Listening to Music From Big Pink reissue last night brought the boys back live and into my room.

which Big pink reissue are you talking about?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

which Big pink reissue are you talking about?
      The Mobile Fidelity..

Speakers: Magico M3; Amplification: D'Agostino Momentum Integrated; Phono Preamp: Vitus Audio MP-P201; Turntable: TechDas AF2; Tonearm: SAT; Cartridge: Lyra Etna SL; Signal Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo; Power Conditioners and Cables: Shunyata Triton/Denali/Sigma; Component Platforms: Adona/HRS; Room Treatments: RPG

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        I wonder how that new mofi lp compares to the fantastic original mofi lp. Would make for an interesting shootout.

Originally posted by MikeM View Post

very nice analog front end you got there, to cap if off you need to add R2R
      TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Did you guys see this?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio...ier_Review.htm

"Investing On The Very Best
        Yes, $28,000 is a great deal of money to spend on a phono preamplifier. It's a great deal of money to spend on anything. I know for a fact that there are audiophiles that would consider the D'Agostino phono preamplifier a bargain, at least when it is compared to some others -- since one can spend twice as much on a phono preamplifier if they want. Still, it seems to me that the D'Agostino Master Audio phono preamplifier is reasonably priced when one considers what went into designing this preamplifier, when one considers what goes into building this phono preamp, and especially when one hears what this phono preamplifier is capable of when playing one's records through it. If I had the money I would purchase this phono preamp without a second thought. It isn't perfect, as it lacks a remote control and only has one output. The Dan D'Agostino is the current champ, though, and therefore is highly recommended to all that can afford it. And even to those who can't."
        Disclosure:
        Alma Music and Audio - La Jolla, CA
        Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Solid Steel - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
        [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          The reviewer certainly expressed his enthusiasm for the unit. I wonder what other components were in his system with his Basis/Triplanar analog rig.

One sexy looking phono stage. Congrats !
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

The momentum line of electronics is just exemplary in everything, looks, sound and just being so damn good, love it :-)
          Hi-Fi
          Wilson Audio Yvette Speakers - McIntosh Labs MA8000 - Mytek Brooklyn DAC + PSU - dCS Network Bridge - Cyrus CDi Player - Clearaudio Concept Wood Turntable, Concept MC Cartridge - Nordost Quantum Q4 - Chord Cables Signature USB - Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker cables - Transparent Power cables - GIK Acoustic Panels...

Headphone Listening
          Audeze LCD-XC Headphones - Audeze iSine10 In Ear - Schiit Audio Jotunheim Headphone Amplifier - Meridian Explorer2 DAC - AXIOS Cables...

Comment

Working...
          X