Looking for versatile phono stage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for versatile phono stage.

Hi! I’m looking for a multiple input (at least 3) phono preamp that’s fully adjustable (but don’t really need EQ) and equally suited to MM and MC cartridges. So what’s out there? The only one I can find is the Luxman EQ-500. The Thoress is nice but is designed primarily for MC.

CH Precision P1?
    Gary L Koh, CEO and Chief Designer
    Genesis Advanced Technologies, Inc.
    www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Comment

Yes. But sorry I should have said, keep it under $10k.

Comment

• Spla'nin
        Spla'nin commented
        Editing a comment
        New only or are used acceptable?

Zesto Andros Tessera

Comment

• Jtycho
        Jtycho commented
        Editing a comment
        Good option, I'll look into it. Thank you.

Aesthetix Rhea or Rhea Signature I prefer

Comment

My McIntosh C2300 preamp has both MC and MM inputs, and then I've connected a ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono tube phono stage, which also has two phono inputs. So that gives me 4 easily selectable, high-quality phono inputs, should I ever need that many. Just some food for thought.
        Lyra Kleos SL, Dynavector XX-2MKII, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh MR80, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

• mep
          mep commented
          Editing a comment
          So which phono section sounds better between the C2300 and the PH-150?

Jtycho If you only needed two inputs, that would've opened up a lot more options incl: the Pass Labs XP25 and a handful of tube phono stages. That said, unless you prefer a tubed phono stage I would go the Accuphase C37 all the way. It has all the flexibility you need (incl: 3 inputs) & is a really nice phono stage. I'm not sure of the current US retail price (the US retail seems to be over-inflated). Audiocubes have new gray market examples for $6K .

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	40.6 KB ID:	72979

Comment

• Metamatic
          Metamatic commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to own the Pass XP25 with uni switch. Nice phone stage but the aluminium casing does zero to stop RFI and noise from large transformers if your setup suffers from it.

I now have the accuphase c37. It's better sounding, quieter, has 3 inputs, saves the input settings, has 47k and 100k loading for mm carts as well as 60 and 70db for mc. Build quality is about the best one can buy.

• Bodhi
          Bodhi commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah the Accuphase would be my first choice around that budget. On a higher budget, i'd choose either the Vitus SP-103 or DS Audio Master 1 cart/EQ.
          Last edited by Bodhi; 12-11-2017, 09:55 AM.

• Jtycho
          Jtycho commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent thanks I'll add the Accuphase to the list! Do you use a voltage transformer or did you buy a US version?

Anyone have any experience with the DSA Phono II?

Comment

Octave phonomodule

Comment

Working...
          X