No announcement yet.

Great Phono preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fav is the Manley Chinook. with a re-tube using 4 Philips PCC88/7DJ8 tubes.
    Chris
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Why don’t you stay with Allnic and move up the ladder? Just ensure replacing the stock rectifier though. Warning, I am biased as I have an Allnic H3000V.

Comment

The Herron VTSP-2A is very fine at near that price point. It h/as two inputs for two different cartridge/arms. No non RIAA EQ however.

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

I imagine the Allnic H1201is a sweet spot for you. I have heard some of their product line and find their sonic approach superb. If you are looking for an upgrade at a modest financial hit and you enjoy your current flavor...

* Do you believe that your cabling coming into and leaving this device for the preamp are maximizing its potential?

* What about about the mains cable?

* How about the rack, physical vibration isolation from your room/draining of internal vibration?

* Do do you have the most premium valves in all positions?

* Is your phono cartridge(s)/turntable set up to perfection?

I cannot stress the amount of times, in my personal kit, or in one of our local audio club members listening rooms, we have experienced a major improvement just by listening, sharing what our experience was, and tweaking an existing condition. We thought we “were there”, until we heard the difference.

If you lower the noise floor, ding, ding, ding! More subtle micro-dynamics, greater resolution of tonal colour, more details, a deeper, more satisfying listen...

I realize these are fundamentals, yet often we can be prone to focus on major shiny new components and miss out on getting the most out of what we have.

For me, the thing about this audiophile adventure is really being focused on kit synergy and maximizing the balance of its total performance.
          Happy Listening: 1100sq modestly lively: Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Graham Phantom III, DynaVector Te Kaitora Rua, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairyhair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 ICs, Silent Source Music Ref/Shunyata/Elrod EPS-3 Sign mains, Atma-Sphere MP1 & MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Coincident PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks, SMARTractor, REL S812 (pair), Yamamoto racks

Comment

• Kingrex
            Kingrex commented
            Editing a comment
            My setup need more work. I have not tried Joe's tonearm cable swap. I want too. I have done some isolation work. Isolation is decent. I need to go through setup again. Or, I guess I could say I need to fiddle with the alignment to see how it changes. I don't know if there is a valve change I could try. I have been told leave the Mullard alone, they are good.

I did have a nice experience this last weekend. I had a friend over listening. We did a little AB with my server and phone setup. He really liked the records. He is a bit preconditioned to like records, but my phono is really sounding good now. Its not as nice as the server in the sense the extension and linearity is not as accurate, but it has that very delightful mid range. Even my wife was listening the other day, kind of in the background. The music ended and she went to the server to see what the problem was. She could not figure it out. I said it was a record and to lift the needle please. She was surprised at how good it sounds.

Oh, what a difference!

Last weekend with friends, great comparison between Van den Hul Colibri and Ortofon SPU Anniversary with the AS Phonolab 1.0.
          Two inputs, Input 1 and Input 2. Switchable with Remote, A/B comparison without any pause. Perfect volume level matching. Gain in 4 Steps, and 16 Steps for perfect Loading Impedanz.. Really equal conditions for both.

Not that boaring plug in plug out of the two Tonearm cables with long pause. I hate this kind of comparisons.

First time we could hear the real difference in such a comfortable way. Never thought that two really great cartridges are that different in sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	134322.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	88887

Comment

I see XLR outputs. Do you know if it is converted with transformers? In Pro Audio Studios, also 1,55 V outputlevel is expected.

Comment

I have nothing scientific to back this up. I did a pretty through back and forth between my digial and Vinyl yesterday. The high frequency extension is lacking in the the Vinyl. There is also a bit of closed in, possibly bloat play in the midrange. Now if I am just playing records its all fine. Very pleasant to listen too. As soon as I play the digital the presentation just jumps out. It has way better top end extension, more linear a lot faster and more clear.

This is the nothing scientific part. I have fiddled with quite a few capacitors. I have very limited cart experience. Still, I feel 40% is the cart, 40% is the phono pre and 20% is the TT/arm/cabling. Is there any way to validate this besides throwing money at it and seeing what works.
              PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
              Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
              Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Originally posted by groovemaster View Post
                I see XLR outputs. Do you know if it is converted with transformers? In Pro Audio Studios, also 1,55 V outputlevel is expected.
                Yes xlr balanced out is transformer with selectable .775 or 1.55 reference levels.

I have a demo unit for NA voltage should anyone want to try it. RCA or XLR outputs and can be configured with rca or 3 pin balanced inputs. Can also be configured with remote controlled volume for vinyl only folk....
                Regards,

Erik
                http://solypsa.com
                North American distributor for:
                Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
                STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

Originally posted by jabingo View Post
                  The search after a really great phonoamp was also the main topic over the last weeks in our small circle of Vinyl Fans.
                  We tried out several phonostages. Expensive and really expensive ones. But the winner in every shoot out was always the same.

The AS Phonolab 1.0 from Audiospecials. My absolute favourite now. I can hear no colouration, fast, with a tremondous dynamic. I think this is the influence of the Pro Audio Background, Two inputs, I love them for comparisons.
                  The special - Recompizer- Function, never heard of this before, is really astonishing. Some of my poor pressings sound much better

Click image for larger version Name:	Phonolab_204608 Kopie.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	88430
                  What is the price with the PSU, also don't see any numbers as far as loading and gain options? Looks interesting
                  SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
                  DIGITAL - Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
                  PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
                  PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
                  AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
                  SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
                  CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

There has been a used 230volt unit for $4k. Listed as $8k new. Your a dealer. Maybe you get "Consideration " pricing.
                    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
                    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

My demo Phonolab is going to my clients house today but will be free in two weeks....for anyone interested in hearing it.
                      Regards,

Erik

Comment

Since the question was asked: at this time the USA price is €4250 for the base Phonolab Pro and €4950 for the base Phonolab 1.0 with Recompizer cicuits. These prices include the outboard power supply. Converted to dollars at time of order to avoid tacking on a currency fluctuation hedge.

Rca and xlr outs standard. Volume control and balanced inputs optional.
                        Regards,

Erik

Comment

You might take a listen to the Herron Audio phono pre. The current iteration is the VTPH-2A. Many vinylphiles including me have been fans of Keith Herron since the early 90's. He doesn't change models often, is not self promoting, and is an overall very nice guy. Not a big production, based near St. Louis. Doesn't do many shows. Keith uses tubes, but combined with solid state. His current phono pre can take MC and MM cartridges, two different inputs. I use mine for both my high output stereo cartridge and low output mono cartridge. Price is in your ballpark.

Larry
                          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Working...
                          X