Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dhm78
    • May 2017

Jelco tonearm identification

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this Jelco tonearm. A friend of mine is offering it up and I was wondering if it would be a good match for a Thorens TD 125 MK2. Thanks so much
  • JDZA
    Premier Club Member
    • Mar 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	113739

That's an Audiocraft/ Ultracraft isn't it? 1980s Unipivot. Maybe AC300? AC3000?

I am not sure how well a unipivot would go with the TD125's rather wobbly suspension.

Comment

• adeep42
      • Dec 2017

I'd be more inclined to go with a really good used SME. That's really period correct.
      Main System:Thales Compact Turntable and Thales Simplicity Tonearm, Ortofon A95, Musical FidelityM6 Vinyl Phono Stage, Vinyl Nirvana TD160 Super with Jelco 850 Tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Blusound Vault 2i, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, Cary Audio CAD-300SEI (All tubes rolled),Pure Audio Project Quintet 15s with Voxative AC-PiFe, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones, PS Audio PP12.

Comment

• ehoove
        Forum Leader
        • Jun 2018

Unipivot tone arms on a Thorens TD125 MkII are not a problem as I have run a Magnapan Unitrac 1 on mine for years. That is a rough looking arm though.
        Regards,
        Jim
        Main Rig > Audio Research LS17SE - MS Phonomena II+ (mono arm), PS Audio GCPH (stereo arm), Aragon 4004 MkII(2) (Bass panels, and Subs), Quicksilver M60 mono blocks (JJ EL34L Blue Bottle) (midrange panels) Quicksilver Mini mono blocks (JJ EL34L) (Ribbons) Beringer DCX2496 (analog outputs/power supply upgrades by Selectronic of France) - NHT X1 Crossovers, Clearaudio Solution w/Master Solution TT w/upgrades/Audiomods Series 5/ZYX R100 Yatra, Jelco SA-750L/Audio Technica AT33mono, Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD, Teac X10r R2R, Otari MX5050 B112 R2R, Dell laptop feeding a Denafrips Enyo DAC, Maple Framed Magnepan MGIIIa (tri-amped), NHT W2 Sub(2)

Comment

• chrisfromri
          Banned
          • May 2019

deleted
          Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• user510
            • Aug 2016

I've used a Graham 2.2 unipivot on my TD126 mkIII. Just to note that the TD125 and TD126 models share the same sub-chassis, bearing and spring suspension design. The Graham was well enough behaved on my Td126-III to make it easy to handle. I'd say that the arm likely raised the SQ potential of that turntable. Given that I'd not hesitate to try other unipivots on this particular breed of Thorens turntable.

The photos are a little dark and don't reveal as much detail as any potential buyer might want. Make sure that this isn't a 12 inch tonearm, as the Td125/126 were built for 9 inch arms, (potentially a bit longer), and won't handle a 12 inch effective length arm. As noted above, the arm does look rough and will likely require a complete going over. Buyer beware on that.

With regards that Audiocraft tonearm, it's cool and if you don't want it someone else will.
            -Steve
            Last edited by user510; 06-15-2019, 05:03 PM.
            webmaster at The Analog Dept.
            system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

Working...