Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Letsmakeadeal View Post
    Hey Guys

I am a newby here and I am enjoying the forum. I have been a member at the VPI forum for some time and I have followed this dual pivot idea since Harry first mentioned it. I have ordered mod kits for both my 3DR armwands.

What puzzles me in this thread is that there are pictures of the mod here that have the pivot installed in front of the side weight when viewing the arm from the front.

Unless i am mistaken the new pivot is supposed to mount behind the left side counterweight. Am I mistaken or has something changed???
    So glad your found our little home away from home in the huge internet universe!

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Although the mod is so inexpensive, there is so much talk, I'll just wait post Atlas installation......thanks

Comment

Is this just a mod to stabilize the uni pivot for people who are uneasy with the typical "wobble"?
        Marty

Comment

• jonathanb
          jonathanb commented
          Editing a comment
          No.

• nc42acc
          nc42acc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks

Thanks Myles

I will very likely follow Harry's lead on the mounting location....If anyone has tried both fore and aft positions it would be great to hear your thoughts.
        Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, Dunlavy SC4s, VPI HRX Reference w Avenger mag drive and Reference footers, Gimbal Fatboy, Yamaha GT2000 for Mono, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Audio Note UK- 3.1X II balanced DAC, Meridian Sooloos, Western Electric Speaker wire, mostly diy balanced interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

I have only tried the forward position so far. This seamed the most logical in that it is easier to see and adjust. Cant's imagine it would sound different forward or aft because of the symmetrical mounting relative to the side weight, but I'd like to hear if anyone or Harry recommends otherwise. The following picture shows the arm at the middle of the record. If you look closely, you can see that I mounted the thrust plate a little more to the left. I did that so the dual pivot never hits the edge of the thrust plate and is always over the thrust plate from the arm rest position all the way to the inside of the record.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Avenger and JMW-12 3DR with Dual Pivot.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	51491

Comment

I wonder if any of the VPI tables at Axpona will have the mod. Would be great to see and hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritmo View Post
              I wonder if any of the VPI tables at Axpona will have the mod. Would be great to see and hear it.
              I've only seen the Prime Signature and no dual pivot. But maybe Mat wasn't done setting the table up yet.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Might VPI be using arms with drilled/tapped dual pivots?
                Analog: Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; VPI Prime Signature, VdH Crimson XGW, Transfiguration Phoenix S, VAS Nova Mono;
                Unmounted: VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8

Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
                Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon XT MC; Merrill Thor, Gryphon M-100 Mkii
                Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Gryphon speaker cables

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanb View Post
                  Might VPI be using arms with drilled/tapped dual pivots?
                  I think what you are referring to is what Mikey reviewed and was an early version. The one where the pivot is drilled into the tonearm ring. The clip on is the final version and a lot less work for them and the end user.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

I was just wondering if perhaps they'd used any of those arms. If so, they'd be much less likely to catch one's eye.
                    Analog: Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; VPI Prime Signature, VdH Crimson XGW, Transfiguration Phoenix S, VAS Nova Mono;
                    Unmounted: VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8

Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
                    Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon XT MC; Merrill Thor, Gryphon M-100 Mkii
                    Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Gryphon speaker cables

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I think what you are referring to is what Mikey reviewed and was an early version. The one where the pivot is drilled into the tonearm ring. The clip on is the final version and a lot less work for them and the end user.
                      I was just over at Gary Koh's place and his dual pivot is the earlier version where a hole is drilled and taped aft of the side weight. Instead of the current polished thrust plate, his has a large circular plate like a large flat washer. The surface finish is much nicer on the current Dual Pivot kit. No doubt the current kit may be cheaper for VPI to manufacture (rather than drilling and taping) and the kit is backward compatible with all (or most) VPI arms. Mat Weisfeld will be at our club meeting on May 6th and I'll discuss all of this with him (I'll bring my Avenger as used in the photo above to the meeting demo).

Comment

Keep us posted! I'm debating whether to do this mod.

Comment

Long time visitor - first time poster.
                          While at Axpona with my son, I snapped this photo of the Prime Signature and the dual pivot hardware mounted on the arm.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
                            Long time visitor - first time poster.
                            While at Axpona with my son, I snapped this photo of the Prime Signature and the dual pivot hardware mounted on the arm.

Greg
                            Nice shot! Imwas actually looking for an arm equipped with the dual pivot at the show and must have missed that one!

Glad to have you aboard and look forward to your posts!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post

I was just over at Gary Koh's place and his dual pivot is the earlier version where a hole is drilled and taped aft of the side weight. Instead of the current polished thrust plate, his has a large circular plate like a large flat washer. The surface finish is much nicer on the current Dual Pivot kit. No doubt the current kit may be cheaper for VPI to manufacture (rather than drilling and taping) and the kit is backward compatible with all (or most) VPI arms. Mat Weisfeld will be at our club meeting on May 6th and I'll discuss all of this with him (I'll bring my Avenger as used in the photo above to the meeting demo).
                              I think one advantage is the weight of the new hardware is enough to tip the arm to the side. Thus you don't have to mess around with twisting the CW and affecting the tracking force. You can also twist the CW too far and the sound becomes horrible.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                                Joe Pittman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I think the dual pivot clamp weight adds to much down force at the dual pivot point. Using the side weight as a counterbalance sounds much better to me.
                            Working...
                            X