Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tonearms would you like to listen to or read about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tonearms would you like to listen to or read about?

This time it's tonearms...

Keeping with the approach I used to start a cartridge and phonostage discussion:

What tonearms available today have piqued your interests and you would like to listen to or read more about?

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

the Schröder that thrax and Peter Ledermann are building independant of each other...still thinking....bear with me, i'm on my 4th glass of vino
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Talked to Frank (and listened with him) about the CB in the past. Interesting arm.

this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4xiZDia4D0

that accent takes me right to Bruno (aka Sacha baron Cohen )
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      I should (could) have ...

This might not be a fair question, but a list of the top 10 'arms, (in your opinion) would be v. interesting.

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm, sounds like a new thread topic.

Vertere Referece

Comment

I'd like to hear that SAT arm one day, but I don't run with anyone likely to spend 30k on a tonearm, so maybe I'll only be able to hear it at a show.
      Source: Marantz SA-7S1 (modded); Amplifier: Coda S12.5 stereo amplifier (modded); Speakers: JENA Labs Studio Reference; Cabling and power conditioning: JENA Labs, Dussun; Subwoofer: Rythmik 15" with DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 EQ; Isolation: SRA Craz rack, SRA Ohio Class base under source, SRA VR bases under amplifier and Dussun regenerator

Comment

Triplanars are interesting. Notts Anna 12". Simon Yorke. Durand Kairos.

Comment

The Durand Kairos was a contender when I was looking for a new table/arm. I would like to read a review from Dre.

Comment

I'd love to see a comparison of the Thales Simplicity II arm with the new KL Audio pivoting tangential arm(s).
            Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
            Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
            Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
            Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

Because I am a glutton for punishment: Bergmann Magne air bearing

A little more traditional: the new DaVinci Virtu arm.

I've had the SAT and suggest/hope all vinyl lovers get a chance to hear the arm. It goes a long way towards showing the issue with analog is not so much the medium as the playback.
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
              -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Since my current arm exceeds the capability of my table and cart, I'm not really interested. I'll wait till you post a thread on tables to get specific.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Dre_J
                  Dre_J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is not my experience with the Aries and 2.2 'arm. I've replaced the 2.2 with Phantoms on the Aries and it was a significant improvement in solidity and just about everything else.

• JCOConnell
                  JCOConnell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that's interesting, I didn't think my table was good enough to warrant an upgrade in arm. From what I have learned, the most important component is the table, then the arm, then the cart.

Originally posted by ashandger View Post
                Vertere Referece
                +1
                Consider yourself awesome if you can follow his technical description of the tonearm ;-)

As for reading a Review about the new 30K super arms, I would like to know how much better they are then, for instance a Kuzma 4point

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can follow along just fine when you consider the design tradeoffs and lengths he went through you have to ask yourself why not chuck it all in for a linear tracker? (I use and enjoy both types of arms, btw) I'm an admirer of Touraj's designs having owned/used a number of pieces from his Roksan days, they were deceptively simply and always musical.

I would be very interested in reading about the SME V-12 and specifically how it differs from the vintage 3012R arms. I own the V-12 on a Model 30/12 but I have not read a review of the arm isolated on different tables and in comparison to other arms. I did do a direct comparison between the V-12 and the standard SME V. I prefer the V-12.

I would also like to read more about the Durand arms. I've really only read the stuff that MikeL writes about his own system.
                System link: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
                Micro Seiki SX8000 II, SME 3012R, vdH Colibri GC 0.25 mV
                Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1 Signature, Lamm ML2.
                Vitavox CN-191 corner horns, NOS cables, Ching Cheng power cords

Comment

• Dre_J
                  Dre_J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Have you considered contacting David (if he has one available) to look into the possibility of getting one of the 3012R 'arms and comparing this yourself?

It seems to be a specific interest for you that could best be served by trying in your own system since you already have everything except the 3012R.

I would suggest this route would more fully satisfy your curiosity if you are really interested in replacing/augmenting your V-12 with the 3012R.

Thanks Dre_J. I have had a few exchanges with David on this very matter. Unfortunately, my Model 30/12 can not accommodate the 3012R arm. The counterweight would get caught up in the suspension tower. That is precisely why I would like to read about a direct comparison of these two arms on the same non-SME turntable. I think David has only heard the 9" SME V, and not the V-12. I don't know under what circumstances he evaluated the SME V or if he directly compared it to a 3012R on the same turntable. Someone once told me that the 9" V and 12" V-12 are completely different designs, but I owned both and directly compared them. To my eyes, one is just 3" longer than the other. They sound very different, though. I have never heard a 3012R.
                System link: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
                Micro Seiki SX8000 II, SME 3012R, vdH Colibri GC 0.25 mV
                Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1 Signature, Lamm ML2.
                Vitavox CN-191 corner horns, NOS cables, Ching Cheng power cords

Comment

• Dre_J
                  Dre_J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So this is more of an academic exercise in curiosity rather than looking for a possible replacement since the 3012R won't fit on your SME 'table. I understand now.

• PeterA
                  PeterA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's correct, Dre. You asked about tonearms that we would like to listen to or read about. I guess you could say I would like to listen to the 3012R in a familiar system, not my own, because I can't. I would like to read about my V-12 arm because there are few reviews, but I listen to it daily. And I would like to read about a direct comparison of the two arms from someone who has listened to them both in the same system, I suppose as an academic exercise in case I ever replace my turntable, or just to know how the SME sound of their 12" has evolved. I enjoy reading about and listening to tonearms in general, in part because of their mechanical nature.

• Dre_J
                  Dre_J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I understand what you were saying. Initially, I had thought you were interested in adding the arm to your current setup. That was the reason for my more thorough evaluation suggestion. After you mentioned it would not fit you current 'table, I realized it was more for reading about the arm in general like most of the responses. I think we are on the same page now.

In continuation of possibility of reviewing SME 3012R tonearm, I would also like to know how it compares to other state-of-art tonearms. I've been drinking ddK Koolaid for a while and have been happy with the way ~$2K 3012Rs perform at relatively low cost compared to other $10K+ tonearms (although I haven't really had the pleasure of installing other mega bucks tonearms on my turntables).

Comment

Working...
                X