Kuzma 4Point 14 inch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuzma 4Point 14 inch

Before I purchased 4Point 14 inch tonearm, I used the regular 4Point more than 6 years, so what it brings to the table is quite clear to me. I ordered the “14” with the Cardas Clear cables but if you prefer something else, Franc has a few different options for you. Anyway, the most obvious aspect of the “14” sound in my experience is it’s authority and power of lower registers. The second thing is that continuous and undistorted musical flow that is so unique to the R2R format. “14” sails trough the most demanding material with such ease, confidence and reliability that I was reminded on R2R in more than one occasion. I remember that M. Fremer brought up this master tape comparison in his original review of 4Point in the Stereophile but the “14” is in another league in this respect. It has clearly less distortion than the 4Point, is even less in the way of music and ultimately it sounds simply more “correct”. This is a logical consequence of lower distortion that has impact on many other important sonic qualities. For instance, soundstage is more expansive and instruments in the back of the stage are more vivid, colors and timbres are one step closer to the absolute sound and the reproduction is simply less mechanical.

I suggest you read Roy Gregory’s review in the March issue of Hi-FI+. He’s much better “sound describer” than I am (English is not my native language) and I agree basicly with everything he wrote.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000134.JPG
Views:	836
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	6971

Name:	P1000100.JPG
Views:	639
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	6972
    Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

If I were buying another tonearm , this would be it. I had the previous model Kuzma 4 point and it was excellent. The only reason I moved to SME V12 is mount on 12" Kuzma is more like 9" mount and my Technics MK3 platform pretty much dictates 10.5" or longer.

Thanks for nice images.

Comment

Nice! XL DC, too. The Benz is a nice cartridge. I use the Kuzma CAR-50 on the 4Point here.
      Brian Walsh
      ttsetup.com

Comment

Me wants!
        Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Listen to the opening basses on a Mahler 2nd to appreciate the 4Point's quickness and sense of dynamic conviction. Oh my...

Marcus, your account of the 14" 'arm makes me want to hear it.

Anyone - what has been your experience with the 4Points and cartridge compliance? Have you run into carts that do not work well with either arm?

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
            Marcus, your account of the 14" 'arm makes me want to hear it.
            Do it if you can, but how's the old saying? Once you go "14" you never go back...

Here a few more teasers...

Name:	P1000143.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	3.92 MB
ID:	7099

Name:	P1000198.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	7100
            Last edited by Marcus; 03-11-2016, 07:55 AM.
            Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Name:	P1000361.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	7102

Name:	P1000350.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	7103

Comment

What record clamp are you using there?
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

It's Kuzma Ebony clamp.

Comment

Which USB scope is that, Marcus? Do you have a link?

thx
                    Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

It's an older Dino-Lite AD4113ZT4 model.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006KEFG90/...980_pe_vfe_dt1

Comment

Marcus, why did you decide to go with a pivoted arm and not the linear air bearing arm like Bill did?

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post
                          Which USB scope is that, Marcus? Do you have a link?

thx
                          Imo, the key to the USB microscope is the stand. The one in M's pic is v. nice. Can you say its brand please?

Btw, a first surface mirror works great where that CD is.

Sorry to go off track.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                            Marcus, why did you decide to go with a pivoted arm and not the linear air bearing arm like Bill did?
                            Two reasons:

1. I think 4Point sounds better than the Air Line in some important areas. Lower midrange, bass and dynamics. Air Line on the other hand is airier and has bigger soundstage but that's not as important for me as the lower registers.

2. Air Line needs air tank, noisy compressor, filters and maintenance, you need to put everything somewhere (not in the same room as the audio system if possible) and that's just not my cup of tea...

tima, The stand is Dino-Lite MS-36B.
                            Last edited by Marcus; 03-13-2016, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Guest commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks!

• Jtinn
                              Jtinn commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I agree with you Marcus. These are certainly the pluses and minuses of linear tracking arms.

Originally posted by Marcus View Post

Two reasons:

1. I think 4Point sounds better than the Air Line in some important areas. Lower midrange, bass and dynamics. Air Line on the other hand is airier and has bigger soundstage but that's not as important for me as the lower registers.

2. Air Line needs air tank, noisy compressor, filters and maintenance, you need to put everything somewhere (not in the same room as the audio system if possible) and that's just not my cup of tea...

tima, The stand is Dino-Lite MS-36B.
                            Very interesting. The normal sort of trade offs between a linear tracking and pivoted arm. And then as you extend the arm length, the sonic differences between the technologies also narrows. But there is something very appealing about t heairiness of linear trackers.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
                            X