TT Mats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TT Mats

How many here use some form of tt mat??? How many use no mat at all???

I don't use one on my Oracle Paris. I figure if Oracle felt this TT needed it, they would have supplied one.
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Folks, I didn't use one on my TW Acustic until a friend from audio importer The Lotus Group here in southern CA told me about the Oyaide BR-12 tungsten carbide butyl mat retailing for just $85.00 last time I looked. I bought one on his suggestion and I was in love. I also purchased their adjustable heavy weight. I was impressed enough that I ended up with TW's dedicated mat at more than 4 times the price because I thought it was better in some respects. I'm sure this is all TT dependent but I have found these mats organize the sound for lack of a better description in a way that you don't get without them.
      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
      Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator

Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Furutech NCF Booster Brace, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD1200s Headphones.

Comment

Ha, Mark, Andre and I were having a similar discussion a while back in reference to what mat to use on Mark's Technics table! I think the topic of the thin carbon fiber platter mats such as the Extreme Phono came up in the course of our discussions.

I don't think there's any universal, sweeping generalization to be made for which mat to use. It will really depend upon the design of the table and how well coupled the record is as well as damped for it's those reflections back during playing that can reek havoc. (IIRC the TW doesn't use a center weight.) Me, I've rarely experimented with mats. If the table came with a mat, I usually used that mat, maybe with the exception of my old Linn. At that time, I substituted the Goldmund mat for Linn's blessed felt mat. The other softer mats just made everything sound well for lack of a better term, soggy. Again, it was nothing more than a band aid for bigger issues.

Then for years, I lived with mostly VPI and for the most part went bare naked. I did also try a mat when I switched to the aluminum platter but again preferred the naked approach. In part because there was more dynamics and punch in the lower registers sans mat. With the DD, I do use the VPI mat but that's more for protecting the record than sound. It just seems that no matter how clean you keep your albums, that B-side ends up damage over time with hard platters. (but the two sides of the VPI mat do sound different!)

One of course shouldn't forget to adjust VTA/SRA after inserting a mat.

So I've been basically useless.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

no mat tried a few sounded better with out one

Comment

I should add that originally I used a very thin carbon Millenium Mat with my TW but I went back to a nude platter until the Oyaide came onto the scene and finally the TW Mat. Of course, the structure on which your table sits has much to do with what you will inevitably choose with regard to a mat.
            TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
            Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Furutech NCF Booster Brace, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

Comment

I use the TW mat and quite happy with it. On the other hand I've experimented with a variety of weights/clamps and found them all detrimental.
              PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
              www.lasercd.com
              www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

No weight and no clamp here.

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Comment

• Garth
                  Garth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I found a outer ring and a centre weight sounded better on my TT but then it was made to be used with both

My VPI Aries I TT has a platter which is a sandwich of acrylic/aluminum with the acrylic on top that mimics vinyl so it doesn't need a mat nor do I use one. I do use the stock vpi screw on clamp which is effective but so far I have not purchased the outer ring clamp upgrade because frankly I don't want to have to deal with it.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

The only mat I ever used was "the brown mat" from SOTA many years ago along with the SOTA clamp, which at the time was an excellent clamp. I borrowed a few mats from friends to try, became confused, and concluded they were the devils handmaiden.

I used first the Delrin then the cocobola clamp from Teres with my 320. Sonic differences were obvious with the cocobola being preferred.

My current GPA Monaco uses its own screw-down clamp in junction with a sorbothane washer - with 3 durometers to choose based on record thickness - beneath the record. The platter is magnesium (like an SME V .) The new 2.0 version has an LED in the spindle that tells you when clamping pressure is correct.

Sometimes I eschew the Monaco washer and clamp and use the Stillpoints LPI long clamp.

Comment

Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post
                    I should add that originally I used a very thin carbon Millenium Mat with my TW but I went back to a nude platter until the Oyaide came onto the scene and finally the TW Mat. Of course, the structure on which your table sits has much to do with what you will inevitably choose with regard to a mat.
                    hi there

What have you found sonically the difference between the millinium and TW mat?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Metamatic View Post

hi there

What have you found sonically the difference between the millinium and TW mat?

Cheers
                      Bingo! You have picked the easier question to answer Metamatic. Comparison to the Oyaide would have been smaller while comparing the Millenium to the TW there is a big difference. I used the Millennium for quite a while after purchasing my TW TT. IMO the Millenium had little effect on the sound compared to using the copper platter. I eventually went back to the copper. The TW Mat which is made by Zanden makes a significant change. Much less blurring of leading edges, better sounding images across the frequency band presented in greater sonic relief from backgrounds. Also, a beautiful dense midrange. Just better organized sound. I loaned mine to a friend who owns my table and after a day purchased his own having heard the same things I did without any prompting from my side. BTW! The TW Mat is 5mm thick so VTA adjustment is required.

Cheers!
                      Last edited by 1morerecord2clean; 04-03-2016, 11:44 AM.

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                      Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Comment

I have never tried a copper platter and there is no copper platter for my TT so I likely never will . I am how ever wanting to know what it is the working theory on why Copper is good.

1, Is it the weight of Copper that is Better

2. Is it the heat is even in the platter due to it being copper thus stays flatter

3 copper conducts electric static charge away from the Vinyl

4. it is a cool colour so it sounds better.

5. something else ?

6. Copper machines to a Fatter surface than other material. This one sounds like a long shot

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                          MylesBAstor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Actually copper has good damping properties. Why Magico uses it in the Mk. 2 speakers to couple the drivers to the cabinet. Copper tt mats go all the way to at least Micro Seiki. I also think Steve Dobbins uses a copper mat with his The Beat table.

• Johnny Vinyl
                          Johnny Vinyl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I suppose I would have to hear it, but on the surface it doesn't make sense to me.

• Garth
                          Garth commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Why can it never be the cool colour I did not know about the damping properties I was leaning as a guess only it was taking static build up away from the stylus . Has anyone ever tried a solid Copper self for a a rack if Damping is its strength

Originally posted by Garth View Post
                        I have never tried a copper platter and there is no copper platter for my TT so I likely never will . I am how ever wanting to know what it is the working theory on why Copper is good.

1, Is it the weight of Copper that is Better

2. Is it the heat is even in the platter due to it being copper thus stays flatter

3 copper conducts electric static charge away from the Vinyl

4. it is a cool colour so it sounds better.

5. something else ?

6. Copper machines to a Fatter surface than other material. This one sounds like a long shot
                        Garth,

No clue. I am not an engineer. I only know what I hear with regard to audio product. The TW platter is infused with something within the body of the platter. Don't know what that is.

Regarding other posters here, I have a friend who owns a VPI Classic 3 and tried my Oyaide Mat and liked it enough that he purchased one and still uses it. He tried my TW Mat and liked it more but he wasn't willing to spend $400 on it vs the Oyaide at less than $100.00. While I am not an engineer experience tells me that all of these questions and products interact with equipment in an analog set up through the floor of your room so everything from the stylus thru the platter, TT, cartridge, platform, and stand determine whether you think any mat applied is successful.

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                        Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                          MylesBAstor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What do you have to lose at a price of $100?

Click image for larger version

Name:	KODO with banckground.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	10161
                        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                          Johnny Vinyl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What a gorgeous table!
                      Working...
                      X