Peek at VPI Avenger Direct Drive Turntable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peek at VPI Avenger Direct Drive Turntable

Sneak peak of the Harry's Workshop newest VPI Avenger Direct being set up by Harry Weisfeld. (thanks to Shooky for the pics!) Going into pretty good system consisting of SF Fenice speakers, cj ART amps and GAT preamplifier. (forget phono section.) Note the newest Kevlar wrapped 3D tonearm. Click image for larger version

Name:	12963642_10204403489766548_152655595085072098_n.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	10315
    Click image for larger version

Name:	12523940_10204403489126532_59451710662504509_n.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	10316

Name:	12919835_10204403489446540_6551925768661713123_n.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	10317

Name:	12963778_10204403489406539_7155400686315622792_n.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	10318

Name:	12799178_10204403489046530_2695357733440325095_n.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	10319

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Beautiful!
    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
    Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator

Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Furutech NCF Booster Brace, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD1200s Headphones.

Comment

The stand looks like a large machinists granite flat, some serious mass loading if so.

Comment

• Socrates
        Socrates commented
        Editing a comment
        Simon Yorke told me Granite is not recommended sonically as a base for TT's--he used Silestone for his models

Soc

Originally posted by Rust View Post
      The stand looks like a large machinists granite flat, some serious mass loading if so.
      The stand is an Silent Running Audio Isobase 3.0. I use that slightly less version under my amps and preamp. Not stone, special material that kinda looks like granite. Not a lightweight though. 😀

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        IIRC I had recommended that base to Eli when he had his TNT. I guess the base works for either table. Like my OHIO Class XL+2 base from SRA will work under the Classic Direct or Avenger Direct Drive tables.

It will be interesting to hear how it differs sonically from the VPI Classic Direct Drive. I find the isolation feet somewhat off putting visually; however, they may be quite effective in use.
      Rockport Sirius turntable, Lyra Atlas SL cartridge, Audio Note M9 SE Phono stage, Audio Note M10 (Signature) linestage, EMM Labs TX2/DA2 digital, Audio Note Balanced Kegon amps, EMM Labs MTRX amps, Acapella Triolons, Jorma Prime and Odin 2 cables, Stage 3 Kraken power cords, HB Marble Powerslave, Finite Elemente Pagode Reference stands and Cerabases, Halcyonics active isolation bases, HRS Equipment stand, Stillpoints Ultra 6 footers, Furitech cable isolators and plugs, Loricraft and Audiodesk vinyl cleaners, Yamaha CT7000 Tuner.

Comment

Originally posted by fcrowder View Post
        It will be interesting to hear how it differs sonically from the VPI Classic Direct Drive. I find the isolation feet somewhat off putting visually; however, they may be quite effective in use.

Quite a bit different as I understand. The motor is all new and something where the number of poles is such that the table runs natively at 33 rpm. The motor is probably 3X as expensive as the one used in the Classic Direct.

The larger feet you see hold air suspension bladders for isolation. The plinth is even different than the "normal" Avenger; it's 10 lbs heavier and uses stainless steel instead of aluminum in the sandwich. Harry mentioned to me that by incorporating these feet, he's really managed to drop the noise floor of the table. Now who knows how this would compare to say my case of using an SRA base under the Classic Direct?

HW is a member and perhaps I'll get him to comment on his new baby.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Harry Weisfeld
          Harry Weisfeld commented
          Editing a comment
          That was the first of the new Direct Drive Avengers that I delivered. The feet are air suspension and give amazing isolation, you can pound on the table and it barely nudges the stylus. The chassis uses a layer of stainless steel, the original and still current Avengers use aluminum and the reason for the change is the direct drive motor is so large it removes a large section of the chassis so the weight is replaced using stainless steel.
          Bottom line is the speed is so accurate, the isolation so complete, and the new 3D 12"R tonearm so rigid and so dead the background noise drops out completely and records you thought had a hard leading edge are now smooth like tape.
          That system was so good I was blown away by the smoothness yet with tremendous inner detail and dynamics.

HW

What is the retail price on the Direct Drive Avenger?
        Rockport Sirius turntable, Lyra Atlas SL cartridge, Audio Note M9 SE Phono stage, Audio Note M10 (Signature) linestage, EMM Labs TX2/DA2 digital, Audio Note Balanced Kegon amps, EMM Labs MTRX amps, Acapella Triolons, Jorma Prime and Odin 2 cables, Stage 3 Kraken power cords, HB Marble Powerslave, Finite Elemente Pagode Reference stands and Cerabases, Halcyonics active isolation bases, HRS Equipment stand, Stillpoints Ultra 6 footers, Furitech cable isolators and plugs, Loricraft and Audiodesk vinyl cleaners, Yamaha CT7000 Tuner.

Comment

I don't always wear armor, but when I want to stop a bullet, I wear Kevlar.

Comment

Will be seen and heard at the Capital AudioFest in a couple of weeks.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	18111

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Thank you for these excellent preview photos. Love the developments in tonearm, ADS motor, and Mag drive. VPI keeps pushing ahead in interesting directions. But this 3-legged unit is ungainly to my eye and fails the aesthetic test. In its current iteration, it appears as too much of a science project for an ordinary domicile (versus dedicated music room), in my opinion, especially with the second tonearm mounted. The HRX was too big but was a much better looking unit. The Classic models are more elegant, albeit lacking in ultimate performance.

Speaking as a music lover, audiophile, and VPI Aries / JMW 10.5i owner with plans to upgrade in the future.
              Lyra Kleos SL, Dynavector XX-2MKII, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh MR80, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

Chocolate and vanilla. Each to his own. To me it is a work of industrial beauty.
                TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator

Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cord, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates & Blue Outlets, Furutech NCF Booster Brace, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD1200s Headphones.

Comment

Looks amazing
                  Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC & Yggy2 Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon

Comment

The last picture in post #9 shows a different plinth than the previous pictures. Seems to be a double plinth. What is it and what is its purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
                      The last picture in post #9 shows a different plinth than the previous pictures. Seems to be a double plinth. What is it and what is its purpose.
                      We will have to wait and see when the final version is shown at CAF. It loos like there are a lot of differences from the current Avenger.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

VPI Titan (?) Avenger on steroids.

Name:	13450785_10154310340938573_2425137113171067485_n.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	18944

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
                        X