New(Old) Thorens TD 124

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New(Old) Thorens TD 124

Somehow this happened..! I was in the process of try to get a TD 125mk2 restored when my friend had this table come back. I managed to get this for a few hundred more than a really
    thorough
    restoration of the 125 would have cost ie new plinth and
    tonearm
    . I've been absolutely blow away with this table! What an upgrade from a Pro-
    Ject
    Debut Carbon. The only thing I've noticed is there's weird resonance on certain 180 gram records like the new
    ECM
    issues. I'm chalking this up to the
    Ortofon
    headshell
    not being a great match for the 3009. I'm planning on putting a new cartridge on as soon as possible and any suggestions for a sub 500-600 dollars cart that would be a good match with the 3009 and a
    Lehmann
    Blackcube
    would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Files

You could try a 2M Blue stylus on that 2M Red. An easy upgrade for less than $200. Save some money until you can make a really meaningful upgrade.
    Main System: VPI Prime, Ortofon A95, Bob's Devices VPI SUT, Bottlehead Eros Phono-pre, Phoenix Eagle and Roadrunner Tach, Vinyl Nirvana TD160 Super, Ortofon 2M Mono, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Blusound Vault 2i, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, PrimaLuna Prologue PreAmp and Monoblocks, Martin Logan Summit X's. Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball Headphone Amp, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones, PS Audio PP12.

Comment

Originally posted by dhm78 View Post
      Somehow this happened..! I was in the process of try to get a TD 125mk2 restored when my friend had this table come back. I managed to get this for a few hundred more than a really
      thorough
      restoration of the 125 would have cost ie new plinth and
      tonearm
      . I've been absolutely blow away with this table! What an upgrade from a Pro-
      Ject
      Debut Carbon. The only thing I've noticed is there's weird resonance on certain 180 gram records like the new
      ECM
      issues. I'm chalking this up to the
      Ortofon
      headshell
      not being a great match for the 3009. I'm planning on putting a new cartridge on as soon as possible and any suggestions for a sub 500-600 dollars cart that would be a good match with the 3009 and a
      Lehmann
      Blackcube
      would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      I'm tempted to think you might be experiencing some miss-tracking on that record. If so it usually comes down to an arm/cartridge issue. Or perhaps just a difficult to track passage that not all arms and cartridges can handle. .... and I can't verify the records since I likely don't have the same ones you speak of.
      Some things to consider:
      The arm pictured is the SME 3009 S2 Improved. This is a relatively light effective mass arm. While the arm's maker (SME) may call it a 6 gram effective mass tonearm, in real life it checks to be more of a 9 gram effective mass arm. Which is on the light end of medium mass. It likely will not be optimal for cartridges of low compliance but more likely to work well with cartridges of medium to high compliance. Look in the cartridge specs to determine this. I'm not familiar with the cartridge. There are formulas to predict by calculation whether a given arm and cartridge will match well together.
      General guidelines:
      Cartridge compliance: High compliance will show a rating from 20 to 50 . Medium compliance will have ratings ranging from less than 20 down to 15 or so. Low compliance cartridges will show ratings below 14. Many movng coil cartridges have a compliance rating at around 10 or lower. Of course, it is complicated by the three different ratings methods that cartridge manufacturers may use as they rate their products. I'll save that one for later.
      I did some research on this subject some time ago and put it within my website. Here's a link to what might be a useful page for you:
      http://www.theanalogdept.com/cartridge___arm_matching.htm

Hope this helps.
      -Steve

webmaster at The Analog Dept.
      system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

Working...
      X