Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 5-10k Dollar Turntable Recommendation ("for a friend")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 5-10k Dollar Turntable Recommendation ("for a friend")

Not for me, but a guy is looking - thinks a Rega 8 or middle range VPI might fit the bill. (He had a VPI and got rid of it because it didn't better his digital but part of that may have been cartridge and phono stage choice). I asked, why do the same thing again? My sense is, this guy isn't quite entry level or incapable, but probably doesn't want to go deep. Obviously, the choice is ultimately his, not mine and I have urged him to consider tables that accommodate other arms. (I have no hands-on with Rega- my impression is it is favored by the "PRAT" crowd for liveliness; as to VPI, my experience is very dated- I know Myles has the big dog table and one can accessorize by adding a motor controller, extra arm pivot, anti-skate that is not 'by wire,' get VTA on the fly, etc., but that adds up and I wonder if there are better table/arm combos to be found used).
    Thoughts or recommendations?

VPI Prime Rosewood Signature with the gimbal tonearm. Add the HRX pully upgrade with triple drive belts and the ADS speed controller. For a cartridge...Ortofon Windfeld Ti or the Cadenza Black if he doesn't want to spend that much on the cartridge. For the phono preamp the Pass Labs XP-15.

Ed
    Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
    https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: Walnut VPI Prime TT, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS, Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift, HW-40 Feet
    Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup + Liberty Audio B2B-1, Stereo Squares Dust Cover, Wayne's Audio Peripheral Ring
    Analog Care: VPI MW-1, Kirmuss KA-RC-1, Record Doctor V, Hunt EDA VI Brush, AQ Brush, Discwasher Record Care Kit
    Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
    Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
    Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
    Headphones: Stax SR L700 MkII + Woo Audio GES, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2, Stax Lambda Pro + SRM1 Mk II
    Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
    Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

Ed- just for my information, what's the retail (presumably some discount from that) on the table, sans cartridge, as you described?

Comment

• EdAInWestOC
        EdAInWestOC commented
        Editing a comment
        The VPI Prime Rosewood goes for approx $6k USD

Ive been impressed with the AMG Giro 'table/arm, I don't own one but had one here on trial for a few weeks. SQ vs ease of use is perfect for someone that doesn't want to be tweaking.
      Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Lots of options. But If it was my money I'd get the EAT Forte S (comes with the 12" arm), with EAT LPS power supply. List about 9200.00, package deals can be had.
        Www.vanaltd.com is importer.
        SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
        DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
        PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
        PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
        AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
        SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
        CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Bill:

TW Acustic has a new entry level table in production. Its called the GT2 and it lists for $10k. I quote Jeff Catalano: "Its amazing".

I take Jeff at his word. As a long time TW Acustic owner I wouldn't consider anything else at this price point.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	122264

PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
          www.lasercd.com
          www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• timztunz
            timztunz commented
            Editing a comment
            Geez that’s a sweet looking table!

• 1morerecord2clean
            1morerecord2clean commented
            Editing a comment
            I heard it twice at Axpona last April. It’s very good. Easy to use and operate and damned attractive.

This is a smoking deal for someone...I've traded with this seller, he's legit and his stuff is A+ cond,

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...mages/2378980/
          Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Nscohen17
            Nscohen17 commented
            Editing a comment
            Can’t disagree - this is a super deal.

• chris h
            chris h commented
            Editing a comment
            So Cheap!!!My dear mom always said it was to good to be true it is!!!

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            there are exceptions to every rule

You guys rock.
          thank you!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	586B6E93-678B-431E-AC01-C677B9DF2952.jpeg
Views:	628
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	122343 I have to vote for the SME 10. I’ve had mine for 15 years, it sounds great, never breaks, and the build quality is unsurpassed. The current price is right in your range, even if you upgrade to the IV arm (which I would recommend).

SME 10/IV, Lyra Kleos, Koetsu Blavk Goldline, Cotter Mk. 2L sut, Naim cd 3.5 2/ flatcap 2, Audioengine D2 WiFi dac (for streaming from iMac desktop), Plinius Hautonga, Totem Forest Signature, MIT Shotgun S1 phono, S3 (cd player), SL3 (dac), MIT StyleLink Plus usb, Shotgun S1 speaker cable with AQ jumpers, RGPC Substation and1200S, Marigo Ultra and Reference power cords, Burson Soloist, Focal Elear with Silver Dragon wire or Hifiman HE560 with clone ZMF Universe sheepskin pads and Furutech/Mogami wire, VPI 16.5 and other miscellaneous and sundry widgets, thingamabobs and doodads.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              This is a smoking deal for someone...I've traded with this seller, he's legit and his stuff is A+ cond,

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...mages/2378980/
              This is a gift at this price. I was going to recommend a Bardo. However, if you can get this table- take it . It is of reference quality. The arm and the cartridge are free.

I am biased I have a La Grange and love it.

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
              Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
              Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
              Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
              Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
              Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                it didn't take long, its now marked sold. Hopefully it went to someone here on AN

• kcin
                kcin commented
                Editing a comment
                That was a really , really good deal.

• Bill Hart
                Bill Hart commented
                Editing a comment
                fer shure.

If it were me, I agree that the Brinkmann is the bargain -- I like the TW too. I'm not sure this guy is going to spend--I did have a long chat with him yesterday to encourage him to hear the difference between middle market commodity level (beyond entry level) and the high end tables. Lot of good suggestions here, for which I again thank each of you.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
                1morerecord2clean commented
                Editing a comment
                I don’t think mentioned here but for a first attempt at a table one of the Technics in the $5k range would get someone’s feet wet and could last them a long time. That price point would leave some cash for a decent platform and Phono stage.

Of things i've actually heard in the under $10K range I'd consider:

the new Vertere (only $4K without a cartridge) - seemed really nice when i saw it.
              any EAT that fits the price range
              Triangle Art Hathor ($4k) or Maestro ($7500)
              Wait for the new Rega 10 replacement!
              Helius Design Alexia ($5500 w/o arm) or Viridia ($6500 w/o arm)
              The whole line of Pear Audio Blue tables has always been impressive.

(of course as someone who has used a Linn LP12 for 35 years, I could just say configure an LP12 to fit the price range and be done with it, but I think one of the above mentioned choices would be better options)
              Steve Lefkowicz
              Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
              -
              Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low Output, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
              Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
              Electronics: DIY passive line-stage with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
              Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
              Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
              Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet
              Digital cables: Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
              Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
              Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I've got a 12" spec'd STST Motus II DQ with a Groovemaster II Titanium arm that your friend can demo in home. It is in the range and really good. Or with a Schick depending on carts of interest....
                Regards,

Erik
                http://solypsa.com
                North American distributor for:
                Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
                STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

what about VPI?
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Bill Hart
                    Bill Hart commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That, as mentioned, was one table the fellow was considering. I was trying to come with some alternatives and this has been a very good exploration of those.

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
                  Not for me, but a guy is looking - thinks a Rega 8 or middle range VPI might fit the bill. (He had a VPI and got rid of it because it didn't better his digital but part of that may have been cartridge and phono stage choice). I asked, why do the same thing again? My sense is, this guy isn't quite entry level or incapable, but probably doesn't want to go deep. Obviously, the choice is ultimately his, not mine and I have urged him to consider tables that accommodate other arms. (I have no hands-on with Rega- my impression is it is favored by the "PRAT" crowd for liveliness; as to VPI, my experience is very dated- I know Myles has the big dog table and one can accessorize by adding a motor controller, extra arm pivot, anti-skate that is not 'by wire,' get VTA on the fly, etc., but that adds up and I wonder if there are better table/arm combos to be found used).
                  Thoughts or recommendations?
                  May I ask what his digital is ? This part matters in understanding his course. As for VPI I think there products are very well made and offer great choices.
                  While I'm just getting into this now I think the TT choice matters but the cart , setting of it and the phono pre etc all matter as well.
                  A little more input to his chain please.
                  analog stuff.
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
                  otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
                  sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
                  new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                  thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
                  thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
                  kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
                  phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
                  speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
                  mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
                  digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
                  Dacs lampi various

Comment

• Bill Hart
                    Bill Hart commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Al- not sure. Also not sure how the digital front end relates to the turntable except to the extent of voicing the rest of the system. I agree that the phono stage and cartridge matter too. I think he has an Ariel Acoustics 10t? Loudspeaker and a large solid state power amp. Not so sure about the line stage he has in place right now....
                Working...
                X