I bought an STST Motus II Direct Drive TT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought an STST Motus II Direct Drive TT

I don't know what's wrong with me. My wife is going to notice things changed in our living room. I told her about the tape deck. Not the Table. I actually made the offer on the TT before I bought the Otari deck. I paid for the TT yesterday. Erik with Solypsa ( http://solypsa.com/ ) lives a few minutes from my house. He has been here to help setup my existing TT. We have talked about a Sensitive Sound cartridge, but before I wanted to fiddle more with cartridge, I wanted to fix my hodge podge table. My existing table started as a Rega RP6 and was basterdized into a bunch of Groove Tracer parts, my own acrylic plinth and a Vertere SG1 arm. It actually sounds pretty darn good. Allnic H1201 phono pre. I don't think I would have changed it for another belt drive. I got the itch for a direct drive from my friend Howard Swane in VA. He owns Live Sound Design and makes cabinets for the large Altec Lansing theatre speakers. He uses a Techniques SP12 DD turntable. I have listened to his system a few times and always enjoyed it. Howard has been through a bunch of TT and found DD to be it's own unique sound. I looked for a long time for a SP10. I just never found one to bite on.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, another local friend bought the Kuzma DD TT. Once I heard that in his system I was hooked. I had to have a DD. Same friend even bought a UTurn and brought it to my house. My make believe table was actually a little better in that it had a more full and quiet presentation. But it wasn't much better. That in part was why I wanted to move to a real table.

The rest of my system is quite balanced and clean now. I have sorted out my power and grounding. I have a fantastic set of speakers, amps and preamps that work well together. My digital is pretty amazing. It was time to step up my vinyl. Tape was a side bug, but getting the vinyl together became more a priority now.

The STST tables are all individually made in Germany. I am looking at about a 9 week or less wait. I can use my existing Vertere arm ( https://vertereacoustics.com/tonearm...1-tpa-tonearm/ ). It should meld well. Solypsa also carried a carbon fiber arm so I hope mine fits the bill. If anything, I should have taken Joe Pitman ( http://www.kosmic.us/ ) up on the high end tone arm wire when I bought the Vertere arm from him. I just did not want to spend an extra $2,000 or so at the time. Not with the table I had and with no plans at that time to upgrade.

I'm pretty excited. It will be a nice way to start off the new year. I have already spend maybe $500 on new vinyl. I have also spent close to $1,000 on tapes. Why is Led Zeppelin 4 $275 for a used 7.5 ips tape. Thats for another thread. I have some good Led on vinyl. Also some exceptional Bowie and quite a bit of Jazz. I have about 20 albums I really like and listen to. I just bought maybe 7 more. It's a bit of a bummer good vinyl is $50 a pop. A couple 45 RPM double album I got were $150.

Thanks for listening
    Rex
    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Nice! Let us know how you like it when it arrives.
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Cool and congrats, I’ve admired those tables for a while now. Kuzma doesn’t make a DD table, but perhaps you heard one of the high torque models with DC motors? They do have a DD quality to them.

Comment

• Kingrex
        Kingrex commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like your right. I though my friend said it was. Seems to be a belt. Anyhow, I'm pretty confident what I chose is correct for me. I really liked the SP12 through tubes and horns at my friends house. I have such at home. At some point, you just have to dive in.

Please report back!

Comment

I am quite a fan of this table. It is extremely musical, and the only compromise is slight bump you hear with the suspension. I heard it next to a Doehmann 2 with different carts and preferred this. You will have to pay a lot more to beat this this

http://zero-distortion.org/analog-sh...amighty-sound/

Comment

• Kingrex
          Kingrex commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember reading this quite some time ago. I thought it to be a decent read.

Holly Mother Of God. Erik brought the tabe by today and set it up. I thought my hot rodded RP6 was pretty good. Like, how much could a table change things. My god its just another league. My perception of what I thought decent vinyl is was all wrong. More to share later.
        PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
        Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

The leading edge of notes are so fast. That makes the attack of drum and piano notes much more natural and life like.

Clarity is perfect. Foreign Album where I never really knew the words are crystal clear now. You hear exactly the sung words.

Bass notes are balanced and even top to bottom. The don't bloat or fall off at any frequency. And they have wonderful decay. Once again making the instruments closer to live.

I'm super happy. My Vertere SG1 seems to blend perdect with the table. Erik wit Solypsa was very satisfied with the marriage of the 2 and overall sound. I'm estatic. I'm happy I bought a new dealer delivered table. I could have set it up, but not as well. And its way better to see it done right the first time. Plus a little tutorial on how it all works. And initial setup. Oddly he dropped rhe first needle and I was Owe My God. Then he fiddled and messed it up. Eventually he got back to where it started. Kind of amazing first drop was so close. Erik is coming back in a couple weeks. Probably to show me a Sensitive Sound cartridge and or dial mine in tighter.

I don't have near the experience with analog as digital. But I believe I have heard enough systems and live music to know when something is doing it right. The STST Motus II is a darn fine TT. Im super happy I made the decision to go with this table. For me its a life piece. I see no reason at this point to ever change.

Comment

Comment

Little silver box on my server is the PS. I will move it somewhere soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200215_101204.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	131670

Comment

Forgot to mention. The wood work, finish, tolerance of parts are perfect.

Comment

My new table makes older records really pop. This is one of those $3 find I love to play. Its just stunning on the Motus II. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200216_095456.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	131725

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04367 bubinga half size.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	951.7 KB
ID:	131766 Glad you are enjoying it. As long as you are posting pics, here is a closer one that shows the Bubinga a bit better. [there is glare from the high gloss finish, but shows the nice grain at least ]
                    Regards,

Erik
                    http://solypsa.com
                    North American distributor for:
                    Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
                    STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

I'm surprised at the accuracy of this table. Words are very clean. I was playing Pink Martini today and the vocals jump out.

I'm also hearing the room and mic style and placement more clear. The recording venue is more apparent.

Comment

Working...
                      X