"New" Table Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeterA View Post
    So I know impressions are early But could you describe how the sound is different from your technics SP 10 and the VPI? I love that massive arm board. I have also always liked the look of that specific SRA rack. I find it very clean and elegant.

Also, which cartridge is that on the SME arm?
    Peter, it’s the Etna SL. I will have more comments later.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Congrats Mark, you have a great turntable there!
      https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Mark,

That Micro Seiki SX-8000 looks great, Congratulations!

It's time to Update your Signature/Profile.

Dre
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
        - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
        Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Mark were a lot of these tables originally brought into the US or were they something primarily for the Japanese market?

Congrats on completing your ultimate table search in less than a 1000 pages!

Am definitely waiting on further impressions. Once the pocketbook settles are you planning on adding another arm?
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
          -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 and Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• PeterA
            PeterA commented
            Editing a comment
            Myles, I actually enjoyed reading most of those 1000 pages about Keith's speaker search. Lots of comments and great information. 1000 pages means that there was a lot of interest in the topic.

I would love to know more about Mark's search process for this new turntable. What other tables did he consider and why? What is it about this vintage belt/string drive that he prefers over his direct drive tables? Lots of questions that could lead to many interesting discussions and new information for people. I am hoping Mark discusses some of his decision process on your forum. That would be a good thing if he is willing to do so, don't you think?

Wow wow wow take your time to assess performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
            Congrats Mark, you have a great turntable there!
            Thanks Mike!
            Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
              Mark,

That Micro Seiki SX-8000 looks great, Congratulations!

It's time to Update your Signature/Profile.

Dre
              Thanks Dre! And yes, I do need to upgrade my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                Mark were a lot of these tables originally brought into the US or were they something primarily for the Japanese market?

Am definitely waiting on further impressions. Once the pocketbook settles are you planning on adding another arm?
                Myles-These tables are rare and to my knowledge were never intended to be sold into the US market which is why they are 100v designs and require a step down transformer to be used in the US. And yeah, I didn't do a public search to come up with opinions on which table I should buy and drag things out for years. As for another arm, I already own an SME 312S which is also a 12" arm.

Comment

• PeterA
                  PeterA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mark, have you compared your two 12" SME arms? I have found that in static VTF mode, the V-12 sounds more like the 3012R than it does when in dynamic VTF mode. I like both arms.

• mep
                  mep commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Peter-No, I haven't compared the two arms against each other. I need another SME mount for the SX-8000.

Seriously sweet setup. That’s a grail table. Enjoy dialing in the Erna.

Comment

Originally posted by dan31 View Post
                  Seriously sweet setup. That’s a grail table. Enjoy dialing in the Erna.
                  Thanks Dan!

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Micro Seiki products were never officially imported into the US so they're pretty rare here. Most people haven't even heard of MS or their top models in the US so most of what you find here are either personal imports or small quantities imported by dealers like me. These tables are mostly 40+ years old so finding one today in the proper condition today isn't that easy.

david
                    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
                    Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
                    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
                    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
                    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      MS 'tables were brought in during the '80s perhaps gray market . An ex-pat Japanese fellow in L.A. who also distributed Japanese vinyl records advertised them in the back pages of US audio magazines. IIRC It took him years to clear out his remaining stock of RX 1500s.

• david k
                      david k commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know about him, he was acting on his own and not as official importer.

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i dimly remember those ads Rob.

Big Micro and JBL 4345's. Love it! And another example of how hard it has been to surpass state of the art @ 40 years ago
                    Regards,

Erik
                    http://solypsa.com
                    North American distributor for:
                    Sensitive Sound MC Cartridges
                    STST Turntables + Tonearms

Available for in home setup and calibration of fine turntable systems

Comment

• mep
                      mep commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey Eric. Thanks for the comments. The JBL 4345s fly under the radar in the U.S. for a number of reasons, but that’s not so in Japan. The 4345s are rare also and don’t come up for sale often. Kenrick in Japan had to start making clones to keep up with their customer demand. Finding a pair of genuine 4345s in great condition is almost in the same category as finding a MS SX-8000 in great condition. I feel fortunate to have them both.

Originally posted by david k View Post

Micro Seiki products were never officially imported into the US so they're pretty rare here. Most people haven't even heard of MS or their top models in the US so most of what you find here are either personal imports or small quantities imported by dealers like me. These tables are mostly 40+ years old so finding one today in the proper condition today isn't that easy.

david
                    david k
                    Not to take this too far off line. We did have Micro Seiki in Canada 120v. At the time though I was most interested in a table that was imported here from Japan called Melco.

They had several models that were simplistic yet massive this would have been about 1980-- ever seen one? The big Melco was my dream table very rare -- I was still in school and no way could afford one at the time.
                    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• david k
                      david k commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know relatively little about Canadian high end scene Nick but you also had a Tannoy factory there making their own versions of the Autographs and GRFs. Probably a lot more interesting and diverse scene there than the US during the 80's and 90's when HP & Holt were pushing their dreck here.

• kcin
                      kcin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      True story: My wife and I after we bought our first house- a 1920's craftsman type-- we were looking for a dining table and chairs.

About 45min from me is a Mennonite community with many custom furniture makers. We had a recommendation for one and settled on a design .

When we went through his production shop I almost plotzed. There were stacks ... yes stacks! of Churchill cabinets complete that were going to be sent back to England for inclusion of the drivers. He had other cabinets there as well that might of been fully assembled in the distribution centre for Tannoy nearby. He was surprised I knew what they were! I am sitting at that same dining table now typing!

• david k
                      david k commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a very cool story Nick!

In the short time I have had this table, it has left an indelible impression. Just when you think you know what is encoded in the grooves of LPs you have been spinning for years, you find out it just isn't so. The SX-8000 is in another league compared to all of the tables I have owned in my life. Again, I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to purchase this table.
                    Congratulations Mark!!! This is exactly how I felt after getting my Redpoint Model D TT with Tri Planar Arm!!!

Comment

Looks like a very nice setup.

I never had a separate motor, How do you determine the distance of the motor for belt tension? I’m guessing by measuring the speed of the platter?
                      Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
                      Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
                      Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
                      Speakers: Wilson Alexias
                      Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
                      Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 Amp Breakers on grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF receptacle packages | Surge Guard at Main Panel | Keces P3 & P8 | ADD POWR series
                      Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Gläss

Comment

Working...
                      X