Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Looks like a very nice setup.

I never had a separate motor, How do you determine the distance of the motor for belt tension? I’m guessing by measuring the speed of the platter?
    It’s like Goldilocks, not too tight, not too loose, but just right. This is the first table I’ve owned that uses Kevlar thread to drive the platter, so setting up the SX-8000 was a new experience for me. Yesterday I added the flywheel to the SX-8000 and that was another new experience.

Since I have no owner’s manual for the SX-8000 nor any previous experience with MS tables, DDK’s generous help has been invaluable to me and I needed DDK’s help again yesterday in order to setup the flywheel. I’m going to say it was a bit tricky to set up the flywheel. David basically gave me two options for where to place the flywheel after he explained how to run the string for the flywheel. I went with David’s first option which was to place the flywheel at the right rear of the table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1C71BE1E-4115-4A53-837F-3B8882EBEB4E.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	133595
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

It’s like Goldilocks, not too tight, not too loose, but just right. This is the first table I’ve owned that uses Kevlar thread to drive the platter, so setting up the SX-8000 was a new experience for me. Yesterday I added the flywheel to the SX-8000 and that was another new experience.

Since I have no owner’s manual for the SX-8000 nor any previous experience with MS tables, DDK’s generous help has been invaluable to me and I needed DDK’s help again yesterday in order to setup the flywheel. I’m going to say it was a bit tricky to set up the flywheel. David basically gave me two options for where to place the flywheel after he explained how to run the string for the flywheel. I went with David’s first option which was to place the flywheel at the right rear of the table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1C71BE1E-4115-4A53-837F-3B8882EBEB4E.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	133595
      Please pardon my ignorance but what is the purpose of the flywheel and what improvement did it provide? Still amazed at this table!
      Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
      Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
      Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
      Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
      Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
      Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
      Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
      Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
      Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener -
      Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
      CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
      Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
      Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
      Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
      Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
      Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
        Steve Lefkowicz commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering how that flywheel would be attached. Thanks for the updated photo.

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering too Steve. You can see the physical limitations the string imposes on where the flywheel can be landed. David saved me hours of frustration because of his hands on experience with the big MS tables.

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
      Please pardon my ignorance but what is the purpose of the flywheel and what improvement did it provide? Still amazed at this table!
      The flywheel adds mass to the platter. I only have a few hours of listening with the flywheel in the loop so all I’m going to say for the time being is that it brings another level of refinement to the sound.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• timztunz
        timztunz commented
        Editing a comment
        Got it! Thanks and continue to enjoy!

• adeep42
        adeep42 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! That is really a thing of beauty. Congratulations.

Very interesting. Can we see some better pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by SundayNiagara View Post
        Very interesting. Can we see some better pictures?
        I had to post these pics as "medium" size so they didn't fill the full page. Did you click on them and blow them up? Anything in particular you want to see better that you are now?

Comment

Mark, congrats on the new table. It looks great and I am sure sounds even better.

Was the arm board already cut for the SME 3012R or did you have to do that?
          Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post
            Mark, congrats on the new table. It looks great and I am sure sounds even better.

Was the arm board already cut for the SME 3012R or did you have to do that?
            Thanks. The armboard was manufactured by MS for the SME arm.

Comment

Is the platter stainless steel with a copper mat?

I just set up a modest old Dual belt drive and Technics direct drive side by side, the differences are fascinating.

Ordering today a tonearm belt for the Pioneer PL-L1000 sitting on the amp platform beside them.

I can only dream of of Micro Seiki, enjoy it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by kach22i View Post
                Is the platter stainless steel with a copper mat?

I just set up a modest old Dual belt drive and Technics direct drive side by side, the differences are fascinating.

Ordering today a tonearm belt for the Pioneer PL-L1000 sitting on the amp platform beside them.

I can only dream of of Micro Seiki, enjoy it for me.
                The platter is 42 lbs of stainless steel. The mat for the SX-8000 is made from leather. As for dreams, sometimes they come true.

Comment

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. Big congratulations on the acquisition! 42 lbs, that's what my platter weighs! I read that somewhere between between a 40 lb and 50 lb platter is where it becomes extremely difficult to tell any difference between a rim drive and a belt, string, thread drive platter. Don't know if it is true, but I sure heard a tremendous difference between my current table and the the old Scout. I've also tried various belts (flat and round of different sizes), threads (no Kevlar though) and fishing lines and have finally settled on a multi-filament fishing line. I'll check into the Kevlar thread and see if I can give that a try, too. I'm also going to search for a flywheel, as that made such a big difference for you. Anyway, congrats!

Comment

• mep
                    mep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for your kind words. What table do you have?

• Slowgeezr
                    Slowgeezr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not nearly as exotic as yours, it's a TTW GEM II. Copper platter, to which I added nice stainless steel/cork/carbon fiber mat. Sadly, the builder retired, so I have no support from him. I have changed the bearing thrust plate from bronze to stainless steel, but still use a teflon spacer, which all works nicely.

• mep
                    mep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You have a nice table and I hope you are enjoying what it brings to your system.

[QUOTE=mep;n133594]

It’s like Goldilocks, not too tight, not too loose, but just right.

First of all congrats for the 8000sx.

Micro Seiki instructions for the right tighten of the thread. In the case of aluminium platter 3 seconds and 6 seconds for bronze platter...
                  Attached Files
                  SEAS EXCEL DIY Speakers; CJ Premier 12; CJ Premier 14; CJ Premier EV1; Accuphase DP 85; MAC Airbook + Audionirvana plus+ Qobuz + Tidal; Micro Seiki RX 1500; Ikeda IT 407 12" + Ortofon MC A95; Thomas Schick 12" + Ortofon SPU 90th Anniversary; Fidelity Research FR64 FX 10" + Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII; SME M2 12-R + Ortofon MC XPRESSION; Kenwood KD 7010 + Ortofon Jubilee; Revox B710; Revox A77; Revox PR99; Pure Silver DIY Cables; Sennheiser HD800; Sennheiser HDVD 800; Akai AT S-08 Tuner.

Comment

• mep
                    mep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My platter is made from stainless steel.
                Working...
                X