Upgrade My Vinyl System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade My Vinyl System

I own a VPI Classic 2 with the original metal arm and a Dynavector 20X2L cartridge. I recently upgraded my phonostage from a Modwright LS100 phono board to a dedicated Art Audio Vinyl Reference (Built by K and K Audio). I did realize what I was missing and glad I upgraded the phonostage. Now I am thinking what about my TT setup? I am suspicious that I would have to throw gobs of money at it for any audible improvement. Your thoughts?

Jump to an XV-1t

Comment

Originally posted by JackD201 View Post
      Jump to an XV-1t
      lol almost $6k!!!

Comment

• JackD201
        JackD201 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes but the audible improvement is guaranteed I did the same when I was using my Aries 2 wayy back when with the JMW arm. Jumped from the older 20Xl to the XV-1s. One of the best decisions I made. I later got the XV-1t and I would say the difference between that and the XV-1s was nowhere as profound

What kind of platform is your TT sitting on?
      TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
      Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

It is on a rack that I built. The shelf it sits on is about 2 inches thick. Made up of layering of MDF, Plywood, sandwiched rubber like material

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
          1morerecord2clean commented
          Editing a comment
          Jim if you have a way to try a symposium acoustic Ultra Platform in the correct size I recommend it to you. Not a super expensive platform.

Upgrading to the HW-40 feet and JMW 3D arm is a good start.
        Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
        Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
        Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
        Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

years ago I had a Classic 2 like yours that I took in trade, at the same time I had a Immedia RPM-2 (nee spiral groove) and a Basis Ovation with a Graham Phantom. The Classic 2 could keep up with the other two decks, under blind conditions I'm not sure I could easily tell them apart. Harry nailed it with Classic and subsequent replacement, the Prime. I don't know what the rest of your system is like but maybe the TT upgrade can wait.
          Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• JackD201
            JackD201 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, thee Classic is, well, Classic. There's a heck of a lot to be had on that platform. Cart then arm is my vote. The old dog JMW just needs some work and manual dexterity especially with azimuth and the drop weight but labor is free. Lacking the will and patience then yeah arm first

My system is:
          Modwright LS100 pre, Wells Audio Innamorata, Auralic Vega, Roon Rock, Qobuz, Wywires, Emotiva ERC-3,
          My own design 2 way spk vented, Satori MW16P (x2) and TN29, Art Audio Vinyl Reference (K and K Audio). MIT, TWL, 3 dedicated 20 amp lines. Room 22x14.

Comment

I agree that upgrading to the 3D tonearm and HW40 feet will make a big improvement. And imho, there are lots of better cartridges to choose from. Without breaking the bank, the Hana ML is very fine one at $1200.

Comment

I agree with Jonathan and Scott. Upgrading to the new gimballed 3D Fatboy arm is a significant upgrade and then you’d be in the perfect spot to upgrade your cartridge down the road. In the meantime, you’ll extract more from your current Dynavector.

I can’t remember. Will the Classic 2 take a 12-inch arm or just a 10.5 inch arm? If you can, go for the 12-inch version.
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
              -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The Classic 2 takes only 10.5 inch arms. That's why HW created the Classic 4.
                Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
                Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
                Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
                Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

OK so I can find a 10 inch 3D arm used or just sell my current setup for a table that already has the better arm. My thinking is the arm is the weak link not the cartridge, but it seems that some believe the cartridge is not all that. The Hana is the same price range as the Dyna but is it really better? I also have a Benz Micr Glider Med output

Comment

I recently upgraded my cart on my Luxman PD-171A. Went from a Dynavector 20XL2 to the 17KaratDX. Big improvement w/overall sound. Getting much more info out of the music especially the secondary studio sound.

Comment

I maybe willing to part with a 3D arm... I currently have 3 of them
                      Amp - McIntosh MC402
                      Pre - McIntosh C2300
                      Phono - JE Audio HP10
                      TT - VPI Prime (2 3D Arms and Victor UA-7045)
                      CD - AMR CD777
                      R2R - Pioneer RT 1020L
                      Speakers - PMC OB1i’s or Aerial Acoustics Model 8’s

Comment

Working...
                      X