Platters and Record Playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platters and Record Playback

I wonder how much the resonant properties of the platter play when comparing original to remastered LPs. I've heard completely contradictory results on different turntables. In case !, the original was better while in case 2 the remastered version was better. (of course all things being equal and both LPs were cut from the same master tape.)

I also think that some of the remastered LPs that we thought paled next to the original LP are a lot better than we originally thought.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Too many variables in the LP playback equation to ascribe differences in original vs, remastered LPs to the composition of platters in my opinion.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      does your Micro Seiki allow you to experiment with different platter mats like copper, etc?

• mep
      mep commented
      Editing a comment
      I can put pretty much any mat on my platter. I use the original leather mat and I’m very happy with that.

Platter design definitely affects sound. My Vpi Aries platter is a sandwich of acrylic and aluminum
    and I read a review that it sounded better than the all aluminum that replaced it in later models.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      You have what VPI used to call the "super Platter" its the one to have. I owned an HW19 Mk IV and TNT Mk 5 with the same platter and the accompanying bearing, which was massive.

I never really thought about it. My VPI Classic platter is 2" of solid Aluminum , maybe I'm just enjoying the music rather than thinking of anything else.
    Chris
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Of the various tables of my past, the platters Allen Perkins designed for Immedia/spiral groove were and remain the most interesting. The research involved was not trivial, new processes were invented to bond and machine the various layers as a monolithic piece. The proof is in the pudding, it still one of the very best performing 'tables I've owned.
      Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

It just seems there is incredible complexity going on at the platter/record interface. You have energy created during playback that is partially drained into platter or platter mat/platter and another percentage reflected back out-of-phase to and up the cantilever back to the pivot point. That in part wreaks havocs with dynamics.

I have to believe (not seen any evidence one way or another) that the thickness/weight of the record has to affect its energy transfer properties.Certainly resonance points that again clamping may mitigate to some extent. That will depend on the platter +/- the mat.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
          Of the various tables of my past, the platters Allen Perkins designed for Immedia/spiral groove were and remain the most interesting. The research involved was not trivial, new processes were invented to bond and machine the various layers as a monolithic piece. The proof is in the pudding, it still one of the very best performing 'tables I've owned.
          Yes, one would need something like a bonding process that does not include a glue, otherwise the glue (epoxy etc...) becomes one of the layers that resonates or transfers energy.

Comment

I like playing with platters, but can't speak to the platter being the main difference between a remaster and a previous pressing.

Platters are in the part of our great swimming pool that are easy to play with and compare in our systems. The change in VTA between platters has to be taken into account, as well.

I have never met a definitive platter. I like the Oswald Mills graphite platter and the Achromat (I have a 7mm) quite a bit.

I do have a favorite clamp, however!

The Maplenoll.

I can't make my pic upload, but link....

http://buddha.smugmug.com/photos/322056080_9jh8u-M.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X