Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Like Your Platter Dressed or Naked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Like Your Platter Dressed or Naked?

Do you place your LPs on the bare platter or do you use a record mat?

Share your experiences experimenting with either situation!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_25577.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	141447 I have had quite a few mats and weight/clamps over the years. Some weights accompanied the mat, some were stand alone, and visa versa. For a couple of years I used the TW (ZANDEN) rubber mat. In the end I found all weights and mats to simply change the resonances of the needle-record interface. I ended up for a couple of years with the stock copper top platter of my table and no weight. UNTIL......after I tried the Combak-Harmonix mat and weight. IMO and experience this combo just becomes an alter ego to the bare platter with no reduction in stage, no feeling of the upper frequencies being tamped down, and no negative changes to the midrange or lower frequencies. The sound with the Harmonix is wide open with staging and life I have never heard with my rig. It is totally natural sounding. In other words, it seemingly has no sound of its own and just unlocks what your table can do but hasn’t. It is expensive. $4500 retail. Stereo Unlimited tried to get me to borrow it for a year I think. They were right. Worth every penny. Click image for larger version  Name:	D7779CB8-C8E9-47BC-8AE0-CCCFFF2FEC4A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	141448

TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
    Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange & Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref balanced IC, MIT Oracle IC, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

With my VPI... nude
      Amp - McIntosh MC402
      Pre - McIntosh C2300
      Phono - JE Audio HP10
      TT - VPI Prime (2 3D Arms and Victor UA-7045)
      CD - AMR CD777
      R2R - Pioneer RT 1020L
      Speakers - PMC OB1i’s or Aerial Acoustics Model 8’s

Comment

Probably depends on the table/platter design. On my Linn, I've stuck with the factory felt mat all these years. I've tried several others, generally with negative results. The Funk Firm Achromat was the only one that was an improvement in enough areas to consider getting one. I was surprised how the Music Hall Cork Mat, that made such a significant improvement on my son's MH 2.3 SE (with the acrylic platter), was really a bad match for the Linn. I have a Pro-Ject leather mat to try, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        -
        Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low Output, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
        Electronics: DIY passive line-stage with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
        Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
        Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet
        Digital cables: Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I started out using the Zanden mat made for TW Acustic. Then a buddy gave me a Spec+ mat that showed me how much music was being left on the Zanden mat. I used the Spec+ for quite awhile before I decided to see what naked copper sounded like. I'm still naked.
          Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
          Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
          Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
          SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
          Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
          Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
          Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
          Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
          Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
          Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
          Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
          Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
          CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
          Streamer/Server: Aurender N20 to Bricasti M1 DAC, EtherREGEN, Farad Super3 PS w/ Level 2 DC Cable, Sablon Audio Ethernet Cable
          Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
          Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
          Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• Barry
            Barry commented
            Editing a comment
            Same TT as you w/ Triplanar and Lyra Etna. Also started with the Zanden/TW mat. I found it a little too muffled. Then I too went to the Spec AP- UD1 and stayed there. I tried it for awhile, but I'm not so fond of the naked copper.

• timztunz
            timztunz commented
            Editing a comment
            seamonster, it's adjustable all the way to off. I have a friend who leaves the lights off. I have enough trouble remembering to turn it off leaving them on.

• timztunz
            timztunz commented
            Editing a comment
            Barry, now you have me wondering. I'll have to put my Spec UD1 back on for a listen.

I have always used mats. The closest I have come to putting records on a bare platter is my current table with the factory leather mat. There's not much there in between the LP and the platter.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Since I have a predilection for big 70’s Japanese direct drive TTs, platter mats are 100% required.
            TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
            VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
            DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
            SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
            AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

None on my VPI Avenger. Have been considering getting one since it pains me to place nice vinyl on that nude platter; however, absolutely no felt mats.

Any recommendations? Stein, Herbies....?
              Last edited by Ritmo; 08-21-2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

None on my VPI Prime...
                Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
                https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: Walnut VPI Prime TT, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS, Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift, HW-40 Feet
                Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup + Liberty Audio B2B-1, Stereo Squares Dust Cover, Wayne's Audio Peripheral Ring
                Analog Care: VPI MW-1, Kirmuss KA-RC-1, Record Doctor V, Hunt EDA VI Brush, AQ Brush, Discwasher Record Care Kit
                Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
                Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
                Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
                Headphones: Stax SR L700 MkII + Woo Audio GES, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2, Stax Lambda Pro + SRM1 Mk II
                Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
                Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

None on my Clearaudio solution.
                  Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Synthesis 510 AC Integrated Amplifier, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

I use micro seiki cu 180 copper platter. It works...
                    SEAS EXCEL DIY Speakers; CJ Premier 12; CJ Premier 14; CJ Premier EV1; Accuphase DP 85; MAC Airbook + Audionirvana plus+ Qobuz + Tidal; Micro Seiki RX 1500; Ikeda IT 407 12" + Ortofon MC A95; Thomas Schick 12" + Ortofon SPU 90th Anniversary; Fidelity Research FR64 FX 10" + Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII; SME M2 12-R + Ortofon MC XPRESSION; Kenwood KD 7010 + Ortofon Jubilee; Revox B710; Revox A77; Revox PR99; Pure Silver DIY Cables; Sennheiser HD800; Sennheiser HDVD 800; Akai AT S-08 Tuner.

Comment

Nothing on my Goldmund

Comment

no mat on my acrylic sandwiched vpi aries platter. I use the the aries deluxe (stainless grip) clamp.
                        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

None on my SME 10.

A Loricraft mat made for the 501. Fits well on my 401.
                          SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
                          Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
                          Amp, Luxman 507u
                          Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

Groovetracer Delrin Platter and sub-platterd with a Tenuto gunmetal mat = pure excellence!

Comment

Working...
                            X