Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPI HR-X w/ Magnetic Drive Platter

Hi guys ,

After 3 months of waiting because of this nightmare/ pandemic we were able to assemble and setup our friend’s new turntable on time for his 73rd birthday . One significant difference from his old HR-X w/c by itself is no pushover ( super platter w/ a 12” Gimbal FatBoy) is how quiet and black the back ground is w/c results in incredible low level detail retrieval .

Thanks for looking and stay safe

tdh888

Last edited by tdh888; 09-21-2020, 03:33 AM.
    VPI HR-X Uni FatBoy 12 Lyra Kleos VPI TNT6 Aluminum Platter upgrade Kuzma Stogi Ref 313VTA Benz Micro Gullwing SLR
    ARC REF Phono 2SE ARC REF 40 Anniv ARC REF 610T w/ KT120
    Duntech C5000 Princess
    Pair of Shunyata King Cobra CX Power Cord Pair of Synergistic Research Tesla Precision Power Cord Straightwire Interconnects Synergistic Research Tesla Apex Speaker Wires VPI Phono cable
    Vintage: ARC SP10MK 2 preamp, a pair of ARC D79B’s ARC EC21 Electronic X Over Magnepan MG3A Rebuilt

VPI HR-X Uni FatBoy 12 Lyra Kleos VPI TNT6 Aluminum Platter upgrade Kuzma Stogi Ref 313VTA Benz Micro Gullwing SLR
    Duntech C5000 Princess
    Pair of Shunyata King Cobra CX Power Cord Pair of Synergistic Research Tesla Precision Power Cord Straightwire Interconnects Synergistic Research Tesla Apex Speaker Wires VPI Phono cable
    Vintage: ARC SP10MK 2 preamp, a pair of ARC D79B’s ARC EC21 Electronic X Over Magnepan MG3A Rebuilt

Comment

That's one nice thing about VPI, if you've got the wherewithal, they can hook you up with mods/upgrades to many older tables.

Comment

Thanks the update.

You definitely nailed the improvements in the new table.

It all boils down to noise is the enemy of music.

The interesting thing is one doesn’t notice this noise until it’s gone. Or know what a low noise system sounds like.

Is your friend contemplating adding the rim drive to the magnetic drive?
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Myles . As of now my friend is enjoying his HR-X w/ the flywheel and has no plan of going to the rim drive . Personally for me Myles if one is to upgrade or go to the rim drive magnetic drive would’nt it add some noise or some low level sound as compared to the flywheel w/ magnetic drive . I’m sure w/ the rim drive there is increased dynamics and “PRAT “ but at the expense of some noise . If one’s system has high resolution like what my friend has ( ARC REF 10 Phono , REF 10 Linestage , REF 750SE monoblocks and Sonus Faber Aida series 1 w/ all TOL Synergistic Research cables and Shunyata Power cords ) wouldn’t the noise / contact of the rim drive be audible in one’s system .
          I myself am using an HRX w/ the Classic Aluminum Platter , w/ the FatBoy Uni w/ dual pivot mods and Lyra Kleos and because of what I heard w/ the Mag Drive , I could now hear / discern in my system low level noise that I was not aware existed during silent passages . That MagDrive is really a game changer , accdg to my friend it more quiet than his Kronos Pro w/ the updated power supply .

stay safe and best regard ,

tdh888
          Duntech C5000 Princess

Comment

Working...
          X