New armboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New armboards

There are differences in the armpods for the Brinkmann Lagrange and Balance. While I could do a straight swap on one of them as I move from the La Grange to the balance. I had to get a new board to have the flexibility I want with the different pod.

Brinkmann wants the price of a small used Corolla for a board and if you want it custom machined for an arm and not blank then its a Corolla and a half.

Honed up on auto cad and working with a friend on this and I am producing a run of both types plus some of the long arm types myself. I will get multiple armboards for far less than the price of one.

The first run is done. The second run will include the extended board type . We will finish them and then off to the anodizer .

Some time ago I had a separate arm pod made that you can see that matches the Brinkmann system so that I could two arms on a one arm deck. This will mate with the Balance as well. It currently has the FR64s on it with the Koetsu Jade Platinum.

Example of the additional arm pod on the La Grange.. Balance is not set up yet. I am out two weeks or so before I get the boards in , finish them and anodize. More of a good challenge and while I love the Brinkman product I'm not paying a couple of thousand for a few arm boards.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4070.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	144983 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4080.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	144984 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0391.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	144985 Click image for larger version  Name:	image001.PNG Views:	0 Size:	83.0 KB ID:	144986
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Wow, looks amazing!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Nice project. You are describing just the armboard and not the whole arm pod, right? What material are you using?

I just designed a complete arm pod for an SME arm to add a second arm to my SME table. It was a fun project, but that pod and two arm boards, one 304 stainless steel and the the other brass, cost a total of about $2,000. Not cheap, but I love having a second tonearm on a table designed for only one arm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC8556.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	145048
      System link: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
      Micro Seiki SX8000 II, SME 3012R, vdH Colibri GC, vintage MM
      Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2.
      Vitavox CN-191 corner horns, DIY cables, Ching Cheng power cords

Comment

Looking good, Nick. I hope you enjoy the Balance once you get it setup.
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
        - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
        Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

I kind of understand your approach as I know how much I had to pay just for getting a new armboard from Brinkmann for my Balance when I switched from the SMEV to the SAT tonearm. Even my brick and mortar dealer found it very steep and it is an understatement.

Comment

• kcin
            kcin commented
            Editing a comment
            My dealer was embarrassed to tell me the price and actually offered a good " deal " on the board because of our relationship. I really did not want to go through the hassle of designing boards and getting them machined and anodized- but once I start something I have to finish it.

Yeah kcin, I feel your pain exactly. Don’t feel one bit bad about paying for the technology or precision of the BB table or the RöNt II, though the tonearm boards are a bit crazy pricing.

Fortunately I received three black anodized aluminum boards with my table, two brand new, uncut. I also had a bit of African Blackwood laying around. Just enough for up to four arm boards. A good friend is a furniture woodworker and another is a precision machinist, I was a CAD based industrial designer, so The resources where in place. Given that my beloved Reed P3-12 is (pernambuco) wood, the Miyajima Labs Zero mono cart (body) was wood, made of the same stuff I was cutting the board from, it seemed like an obvious choice to try something other than herr Brinkmann’s aluminum. And sonically it turned out delicious! Very dimensionally stable as well.

I believe these ($$$$) situations/conditions call for exploration and and some personal crafting fun.
          Living-Listening room 1100sq (modestly lively): Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12 >Miyajima Zero, Graham Phantom III >DynaVector Te Kaitora Rua, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairyhair silver litz >Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 ICs, Silent Source Music Ref/Shunyata NR, CX Anaconda/Elrod EPS-3 Sign mains, Atma-Sphere MP1 & MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Classic Audio T3.4 full voice coiled, Yamamoto racks, SMARTractor, REL S812 (pair)

Comment

Originally posted by PeterA View Post
            Nice project. You are describing just the armboard and not the whole arm pod, right? What material are you using?

I just designed a complete arm pod for an SME arm to add a second arm to my SME table. It was a fun project, but that pod and two arm boards, one 304 stainless steel and the the other brass, cost a total of about $2,000. Not cheap, but I love having a second tonearm on a table designed for only one arm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC8556.jpg Views:	20 Size:	122.5 KB ID:	145048
            Equally nice project Peter, on the SME! I like that table. It's too bad SME never adapted their designs for multiple arms over the years. You have made a nice alternative

I did get the armpod built a few years ago to match the brinkmann pod system exactly in appearance. I wanted a 2 arm table but they were difficult to come by at the time so I just made the arm pod and anodized it. It is filled with a brass slug as well for weight.

I am making 3 runs of different boards now- with one being an extension version for 12-14" arms and a possible straight line tracker..

Right now I am using 6061-T6 Al material for the boards, they will be similar to stock- I have brass and bronze on hand to try as well. However, for this run I just want to get going and make them stock. Copper and SS are in the future as well.

Now that I have the drawings and the jig fixtures are made I can get them CNC'd anytime quite easily.

Machine shop design time and execution is usually expensive I have someone that works at a very high level in industry actually designing production machines- who has the CNC equipment he needs to punch these out in his garage. If I told you what I was paying for this run you'd cry because it is very reasonable.

Cheers
            Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitVinylRob View Post
              Yeah kcin, I feel your pain exactly. Don’t feel one bit bad about paying for the technology or precision of the BB table or the RöNt II, though the tonearm boards are a bit crazy pricing.

Fortunately I received three black anodized aluminum boards with my table, two brand new, uncut. I also had a bit of African Blackwood laying around. Just enough for up to four arm boards. A good friend is a furniture woodworker and another is a precision machinist, I was a CAD based industrial designer, so The resources where in place. Given that my beloved Reed P3-12 is (pernambuco) wood, the Miyajima Labs Zero mono cart (body) was wood, made of the same stuff I was cutting the board from, it seemed like an obvious choice to try something other than herr Brinkmann’s aluminum. And sonically it turned out delicious! Very dimensionally stable as well.

I believe these ($$$$) situations/conditions call for exploration and and some personal crafting fun.
              Very cool. Nice pieces to your system .

I will try some various woods as well. You are fortunate to have the skills and network to pull it off. I am lucky to have someone who can do the machining for me locally as well.

I want to try some bronze, brass and copper as well down the line.

I' don't mind paying as you say, however, the arm board thing was too much to take.

Comment

More alternative arm boards produced for the longer arms and different pod on the Brinkmann. They are identical to the production ones.

Now to finish all of them and take them to anodizer.

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	145997

Comment

So how much cabbage are we talking for a single arm board from Brinkmann?
                  Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Rob
                    Rob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    an entire cabbage fields worth

• mep
                    mep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s a lot of cabbage Rob.

Originally posted by mep View Post
                  So how much cabbage are we talking for a single arm board from Brinkmann?
                  Well for the small round armboard I was quoted about $700 USD drilled for a Kuzma.

The longer was much more than double that -this is from an authorized dealer I have a great relationship with.

Perhaps, now you see my motivation? That's a lot of borscht. I would rather invest in a new cartridge or DAC. It just seems fundamentally out of wack for me.

Believe me, I don't really have time to muck about with this. On the other hand, I wasn't going to invest those kind dollars if I had a reasonable alternative.

I am hoping to get a grain pattern on them this weekend and off to the anodizers this week. Taking longer than expected but my wallet is not in so much pain.

Comment

• Rob
                    Rob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    To be honest, seven bills isnt crazy high if that includes dealer mark up. I spend more than that for a Basis arm board made from acrylic with brass slugs buried in it.

• Dre_J
                    Dre_J commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rob, I can relate.

I have three of them for my Debut. One for the my SuperArm 9 & Vector IV arms, one with a Graham cut mount for a Phantom III, and one with an SME cut for the SME V or any arm that has that cut.

Originally posted by kcin View Post

Well for the small round armboard I was quoted about $700 USD drilled for a Kuzma.

The longer was much more than double that -this is from an authorized dealer I have a great relationship with.

Perhaps, now you see my motivation? That's a lot of borscht. I would rather invest in a new cartridge or DAC. It just seems fundamentally out of wack for me.

Believe me, I don't really have time to muck about with this. On the other hand, I wasn't going to invest those kind dollars if I had a reasonable alternative.

I am hoping to get a grain pattern on them this weekend and off to the anodizers this week. Taking longer than expected but my wallet is not in so much pain.
                  I understand your motivation. The question for me is how much money will you save in the end? Machining isn't cheap and I assume that anodizing won't be cheap either. Then you have your time invested in this project which you can say is "free," but that would certainly skew the overall cost if you counted your hours.
                  Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

I understand your motivation. The question for me is how much money will you save in the end? Machining isn't cheap and I assume that anodizing won't be cheap either. Then you have your time invested in this project which you can say is "free," but that would certainly skew the overall cost if you counted your hours.
                    mep- I get what you're saying. Ordinarily, it is the advice I would give someone else. Pm me if you're really interested & I will tell you... !

Comment

Here is the #304 stainless steel arm pod I designed for the 3012R and an extra brass armboard. The armpod with armboard weighs 45 lbs and has three adjustable feet.

Name:	IMG_6339.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	146135
                      System link: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
                      Micro Seiki SX8000 II, SME 3012R, vdH Colibri GC, vintage MM
                      Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2.
                      Vitavox CN-191 corner horns, DIY cables, Ching Cheng power cords

Comment

Originally posted by PeterA View Post
                        Here is the #304 stainless steel arm pod I designed for the 3012R and an extra brass armboard. The armpod with armboard weighs 45 lbs and has three adjustable feet.

Name:	IMG_6339.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	146135
                        Very nice Peter!

Comment

Working...
                        X