Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Bicht of Versa Dynamics Passes

I just learned about this through the Versa Dynamics owners group:

"It is with a heavy heart that I write to inform you that John Bicht passed away last week. He had been in poor health for at least the last couple of years, but he never talked specifics with me.

I never met John face to face, but we became good friends over the decades we spoke by phone, beginning shortly after I bought a Model 1. A couple of years ago, when a Model 2 owner informed John that he wanted to give it to a “good home”, John offered it to me. I miss him terribly.

We Versa-Dynamics owners are aware of his brilliance as a designer and manufacturer of record players. The first, I believe, to combine an air-bearing platter, air-bearing, radial-tracking arm, and vacuum record hold-down. And, it sold for a bargain price.

Others are aware of his innovations with watch-repair tools, darkroom equipment, and coffee grinders. I know that at some point he also raced cars.

If you have something to add to John’s story, please share it with the rest of us.

If you would like to express condolences, email his wife, Laura Dearborn, at [email protected]

Lee"

That's so sad. John made an excellent table back in the day. Except for that hum that sone owners could never get rid off!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

My condolences to his family.

It seems that we are losing many of the iconic designers of the past that I had admired as a young man over these last few years.
      Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
      Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
      Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
      Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
      Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

😔🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

Comment

Sorry to hear this. I once owned a Versa Dynamics 1.0 (the cheaper version). When I had problems with it (I bought it used), I would call John for advice, even though he was no longer producing them - I think he had moved on to making expresso machines IIRC. Always very approachable the few times I contacted him.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

My first tonearm was a Mission 774. It was a wonderful arm, except that when adjusting the azimuth, the angle changes whenever the screw is tightened. You have to arrive at the correct azimuth by trial and error. I think that was one of his first iconic creations.

Comment

Working...
            X