A Reboot: Show Us Your Turntable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All,

Being new here, I thought I'd do a show and tell too..

living where I do, a long way from most of the world, i needed to look at reliability, also a company who would look after their customers long term.
    Value for money was a factor.. so the turntable I chose was this one. A SME 10..did I say it had good reviews.. As I wanted also to use a mono cart, I obtained an additional arm board from Timestep audio UK so I put on another SME arm..

Ok so what does one do if I do have a problem with my turntable and I can't play my lps.. Get another one.. again reliability comes into it again, but someone a bit different. A bit of nostalgia caught me. I thought if something is still going strong after 50 years, well it'll see me out.. an opportunity came my way to purchase a Garrard 401 from a friend. After a good service, new heavy weight plinth, a near new Ortofon 12" arm and bingo, a great turntable to play my older pressings on..

SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
    Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
    Amp, Luxman 507u
    Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Comment

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the two arm set up on the SME. Wish some one would figure out a way to do this with my Avid.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't know could mount two arms on an SME. Live and learn.

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	53374
    This is the same photo I added to the bottom of the VPI Prime with triple belt thread. I'm adding it here for the record...
    Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
    https://www.edsstuff.org
    VPI Prime (3 Belt Drive, VPI Dual Pivot, VPI ADS, Ortofon Quintet Black S, Tru-Lift, AQ Leopard, Liberty Audio B2B-1) : Kimber Hero : *Audible Illusions L1 : *Adcom GFA-555II : Kimber 8TC : Magnepan MGMC1 : TASCAM UH-7000 : Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai : NAD 446 : Stax Lambda Pro : Denon DP-62L : Schiit Lyr 2 : Schiit Modi Multibit : Schiit Wyrd : HiFi Man HE-400S
    *Modified/Customized Component

Comment

• tima
      tima commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks kinda like a sorbathane(??) perimeter under the plexiglass cover to keep it from moving. Does that come with the cover?

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great Ed! One of the true bargains in the analog world.

• EdAInWestOC
      EdAInWestOC commented
      Editing a comment
      The sorbothane strips were bought online from Amazon. It is the thickest sorbothane I could find. No, the cover did not come with the sorbothane strips.

• Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread ...
    Here it is. With all the extra bits I use with it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.JPG
Size:	582.9 KB
ID:	53393

Comment

• Per Sundell
      Per Sundell commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the Nottingham Analogue Space 294 with heavy platter and the wave mechanic psu.
      The arm in use is the Notts Ace Space 12".

• tima
      tima commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I think I was fooled by the ... is that an armwand? ... laying on the plinth.
      How do you like it?

• Per Sundell
      Per Sundell commented
      Editing a comment
      Its the Wand 12" arm. Love it. Cleaner and faster with more bass than the Notts arm. But it cant compete in midrange and musicality. On the other hand the Notts arm was designed for the Space 294.

• Clean, elegant and simple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oracle Paris and red vinyl.JPG
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	53395
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• Here is a picture of my VPI HRX Reference. I am so very happy with it. I have 2 - 12" 3DR tonearms with the Fidelity Research MC-201 and Miyajima Kansui mounted and one Classic 12" Steel arm for my Miyajima ZERO...Mono recordings blow me away....Only had I known when they were basically considered garbage by many...Now they are liquid gold...The new reissues are fantastic but expensive....Still fiddling with getting all arms set up properly...Also working with the Tru Lift...Great

As soon as everything is sorted out I will remove the protective coating on the black acrylic...Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	299.8 KB ID:	58344Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	976.6 KB ID:	58345
      Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI Mag Drive / Rim Drive HRX w Avenger Reference footers, 2 - 12" VPI 3DR tonearms, 1 - 12" VPI Stainless Steel tonearm, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Truth Mod OPPO 105, Western Electric Speaker wire, DIY & Discovery interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        I know what your talking about with regards to the monos. I remember back in the nineties my local record store used to sell mono classical Lps for $2-3 in nm condition. Now those same discs sound nice with a mono cart.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        "Now this a turntable!" said in the best Paul Hogan voice. 🍺 See you've added the dual pivot update too!

Name:	
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	58353 Beyond my wildest dreams.....
      Last edited by timztunz; 07-04-2017, 11:46 PM.
      Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 for SACD / Bricasti M1 DAC for Redbook - Tascam 42B Refurbished - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - SCA Vesuvius II Enhanced Power Cords - Custom Furutech Interconnects/speaker cables - VPI 16.5 RCM - Assorted Shun Mook magic

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
        1morerecord2clean commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful. I'll take one. Wait a minute. I have one.........for the most part.

• lasercd
        lasercd commented
        Editing a comment
        Myles I think there are four.

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes think I forgot Shane.

• Don't laugh. It actually sounds pretty good. RP6 with Groove Tracer delrin platter and sub-platter. White Rega belt. Vertere SG1 tonearm. Denon 103R in a Midas Aluminum head shell. I also removed the motor from the Plinth and have it mounted to the corian sheet on the bottom. The record player sits on the acrylic sheet. The acrylic and delrin are separated by 3 tiny pieces of double sided tape and 2 very small slivers of cardboard from a CD case. I got a pretty darn nice cable from a UK company ( http://www.back-promo.co.uk/html/intro.html ). I also found floating my phono stage on a piece of corian with slivers of felt for feet and a small bead of Jade or another stone of which name I forgot, makes for a large improvement in sound stage and clarity. Voices and instruments are much easier to hear as unique sounds. I'm satisfied for now. If someone comes up with a table, sans tone arm I cant refuse, well who knows.
      Attached Files
      Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	58407Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	58408Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	58409Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	58410 I wouldn't laugh at all Kingrex. I have a tricked out RP6 on a second system in Brasil that I find quite rewarding. It's sitting on a Gingko Cloud, so I can relate to your comments in sound improvement getting something under it. The Jade bead idea is fascinating!
        Last edited by timztunz; 07-05-2017, 06:26 AM.
        Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 for SACD / Bricasti M1 DAC for Redbook - Tascam 42B Refurbished - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - SCA Vesuvius II Enhanced Power Cords - Custom Furutech Interconnects/speaker cables - VPI 16.5 RCM - Assorted Shun Mook magic

Comment

• New poster here, love this forum by the way. My journey started with a Traveler V2.0 but moved up to this beautiful beast.

Comment

• don
            don commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome
            Beautiful, what pre- amp is that it looks very interesting

• guss2
            guss2 commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a Project Tube Box DS for phono, the amplifier is a custom made Aristaeus by Headamp. Specifically made for the Sennheiser HE90 electrostatic headphones(Orpheus). I really don't have the room for full range speakers, so I'm exclusively headphones at the moment.

• Originally posted by guss2 View Post
          New poster here, love this forum by the way. My journey started with a Traveler V2.0 but moved up to this beautiful beast.
          Glad you found the board!!!

Nice table! VdH cartridge?
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• guss2
            guss2 commented
            Editing a comment
            I kind of broke the bank with this purchase, so I decided to keep my Ortofon Vigor until the next big purchase. It's actually a very nice sounding inexpensive cart. They have been discontinued for quite a while now. Nice to meet you Myles. I hear nothing but good things from my buddy Oswaldo Martinez of LTBS about you.

• Artisan Fidelity 301 with an Ikeda 407 Arm and Miyajima Kansui Cart. Table has a laundry list of AF upgrades including Sapphire Bearing, Idler Wheel v2, Eddy Brake, Classic Plinth (Micro-Suede Finish) on Stillpoints Ultra SS Feet, 50 Hz Pulley with Monarchy AC Regen.

I will likely upgrade the platter next.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

And Dietrich's headshell?

• advanced101
            advanced101 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, that is the Arche Headshell with Furutech Silver Leads. The Arche is a nice piece, a little bit of a learning curve but when you figure it out you can adjust a lot of variables.

• jazzbass
            jazzbass commented
            Editing a comment
            Also have an AF 301, standard except for idler wheel. Could you comment on Sapphire bearing upgrade?
            Considering platter upgrade also.
            Thanks,
            Marcial

• A couple of views of my VPI Avenger with the 3D Arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge over a Symposium Ultra platform. I also purchased at the time VPI's ADS. The phono preamp is the Zesto Andros 1.2. I later replaced the motor pulley to run the table with three belts - super easy and inexpensive upgrade.

Comment

• Goheelz
            Goheelz commented
            Editing a comment
            The VPI Avenger looks great, and I like that you've put it on a Symposium platform. Did you try it without the platform as well? I'm also curious as to whether you've compared the Avenger to other VPI tables. Was this an upgrade from a lesser VPI, and what changes did you notice if so? Same question applies if you've gone from SDS to ADS. Thanks very much!

• I added the Ultra a few moths after I purchased the table. It made a significant difference - quieter and more controlled. This is my first table in almost 20 years. I had a Linn LP-12 that I sold in 1998. I considered getting a few other tables but ultimately settled on the Avenger. I'm very happy with it.

Comment

• Question: Is that an "Audiav" rack your turntable is sitting on in the picture?

Originally posted by jcmusic View Post
            Ok guys here are some pics of my Redpoint Model D TT with Soundsmith's (Sotto Voce) cartridge. The first pic is the base and bearing 65 LBS. The second pic is the platter 35 LBS.
            Third pic is the motor pod 12 LBS. The fourth pic is the arm pod and Triplanar arm 14 LBS. Those cavities are 2.5" deep and filled with # 7.5 lead shot and silicone oil, the base and platter have the same oil weight. The motor pod uses a different weight oil, as does the arm pod.. All of this is machined from a solid piece of 6061 T651 aircraft aluminum. Topping off the platter is a 2" thick piece of black teflon that has a place machined into the platter, then held down with 60 2.25" screws. The second arm is a Micro Seiki MA 505 for vintage stuff. Almost forgot the record weight is 3.5 LBS. The rack is made by Audioav and employs five carbon shelves below and one carbon shelf on top with a solid piece of granite, with some type of EMI material nestled in between the two for more dampening... This a truly a marvel of engineering in my opinion...

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Beron View Post
              Question: Is that an "Audiav" rack your turntable is sitting on in the picture?

Yes it is why do you ask?

Comment

Working...
              X