Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mylar Belts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mylar Belts

    Anyone here using Mylar belts for their TT, if so about how long would you say it's good for before a new one is needed?

  • #2
    I use mylar belts (that I make myself) on my Galibier Stelvio.

    If I've done a good job making the belt and leave it in place, it lasts for a very long time (years?). If I've done a poor job making the belt or I damage it after I've had to move my turntable, it doesn't last as long.

    If you don't know how to make one yourself, search the Audiogon forums for one of Doug Deacon's posts on the subject. The process is quite easy and will provide you an endless supply of belts once you buy a roll of mylar and splicing tape.

    Speakers: Rockport Avior
    Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II (Silver Edition)
    Preamp: Pass Labs XS
    Phono preamp: EMIA LR Phono Corrector, Slagle Silver SUTs
    Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL Lambda
    Digital: dCS Network Bridge, dCS Scarlatti DAC
    Tape: Studer A80 RC, Doshi V3.0

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by squasher View Post
      I use mylar belts (that I make myself) on my Galibier Stelvio.

      If I've done a good job making the belt and leave it in place, it lasts for a very long time (years?). If I've done a poor job making the belt or I damage it after I've had to move my turntable, it doesn't last as long.

      If you don't know how to make one yourself, search the Audiogon forums for one of Doug Deacon's posts on the subject. The process is quite easy and will provide you an endless supply of belts once you buy a roll of mylar and splicing tape.
      I know how to make them and I have made one in January/February, just trying to figure out about how long it will last before a new one is needed?

      Comment


      • #4
        does mylar get stretched out?
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
          does mylar get stretched out?
          If it does, you put in on Prozac.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
            does mylar get stretched out?
            No Mylar does not stretch that is one of the big reasons to use it!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Having worked with Mylar in a different life (for a different purpose in biophysics 😄), I remember it coming in different micron thicknesses. Is there one particular thickness used for belt purposes?
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
              ________________________________________

              -Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
              -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                Having worked with Mylar in a different life (for a different purpose in biophysics 😄), I remember it coming in different micron thicknesses. Is there one particular thickness used for belt purposes?
                Myles you can use different thickness's but I think most are using a 2 mil belt.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I used Mylar tape when I used tape drive for my Teres 250 and then 320 - crikey, 10 years ago.

                  I liked the holographic (silvered) mylar from McCormacks at 2mil. Sounded better than 1mil. They offered it for making silvery streamers and such - not an audio company. Am thinking they don't carry this any more.

                  Making a tape loop was a pita. I used the 45-dregree cut with a 1/4" aluminum splicing block I got from the TapeCenter. Can't remember what splicing tape I used. As the resolution of my system increased, eventually I could hear the splice passing over the roller on the drive unit. That's when I went to the Verus rim drive. Once I made a good one, the tape loop would last quite a while. Typically, the splice tended to give or pull before tape wore out.

                  The Teres was a huge step up from my SOTA but I don't miss making tape loops.

                  Comment


                  • MylesBAstor
                    MylesBAstor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One thing I don't miss is belts.

                • #10
                  Is it possible to make a drive belt out of mylar based recording tape?
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                    Is it possible to make a drive belt out of mylar based recording tape?
                    Yes some do but, the holographic mylar sounds better.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by tima View Post
                      I used Mylar tape when I used tape drive for my Teres 250 and then 320 - crikey, 10 years ago.

                      I liked the holographic (silvered) mylar from McCormacks at 2mil. Sounded better than 1mil. They offered it for making silvery streamers and such - not an audio company. Am thinking they don't carry this any more.

                      Making a tape loop was a pita. I used the 45-dregree cut with a 1/4" aluminum splicing block I got from the TapeCenter. Can't remember what splicing tape I used. As the resolution of my system increased, eventually I could hear the splice passing over the roller on the drive unit. That's when I went to the Verus rim drive. Once I made a good one, the tape loop would last quite a while. Typically, the splice tended to give or pull before tape wore out.

                      The Teres was a huge step up from my SOTA but I don't miss making tape loops.
                      Similar to the way you did it, I use a 1/2" splicing block and splicing tape and never had a problem. The pulley on my motor shaft is concave which prevents the hearing of the splice...

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        what type of pulley do you need to use a mylar tape belt? My current pulley is driving a rubber belt with a smaller than 1/8" diameter circular cross section. How wide is a typical mylar belt, 1/4" ?
                        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                          what type of pulley do you need to use a mylar tape belt? My current pulley is driving a rubber belt with a smaller than 1/8" diameter circular cross section. How wide is a typical mylar belt, 1/4" ?
                          JC the typical mylar belt is a 1/2" wide, so your pulley needs to be slightly larger.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            JC this is mine hopefully you can see how the belt is centered on the pulley.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X