No announcement yet.

Mylar Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have comments about how the mylar belt sounds compared to #4 silk thread or similar? I realize this might be somewhat table specific.

I'm curious as to how much slippage there is once properly set up. I'm guessing a lot less than thread drive given the 1/2" diameter.

Comment

The mylar is a little plastic sounding compared to the silky sound you get from silk thread.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
        The mylar is a little plastic sounding compared to the silky sound you get from silk thread.
        I would not agree with that!!! There are several threads on the Audiogon forum that say that the mylar is superior to the silk thread.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          I think Mark is being facetious!

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          <Hervé Villechaize Voice /on> the knot, the knot <Hervé Villechaize Voice /off>

Originally posted by jcmusic View Post

I would not agree with that!!! There are several threads on the Audiogon forum that say that the mylar is superior to the silk thread.
        Myles knows me.
        Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I have always been of the opinion that if you are going to use a belt drive table, use what it was designed to be used with: a belt.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
            I have always been of the opinion that if you are going to use a belt drive table, use what it was designed to be used with: a belt.
            I remember when everyone was using dental floss as a belt with the Forsell table. I can kinda understand what they were trying to get at: minimizing any transmission of noise from the motor to the platter. OTOH the Forsell was notorious for never running at the right speed. In fact, the speed might change from the beginning to the end of the record. So in the end, what were you gaining?
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
            -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
            -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
            -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I remember when everyone was using dental floss as a belt with the Forsell table. I can kinda understand what they were trying to get at: minimizing any transmission of noise from the motor to the platter. OTOH the Forsell was notorious for never running at the right speed. In fact, the speed might change from the beginning to the end of the record. So in the end, what were you gaining?
              I agree Myles and that's where the mylar differs, it keeps constant speed once setup and dialed in!!!

Comment

So I am reviving an old thread here about drive belts for TT's. I am down to enough holographic mylar to make one more belt, so as an alternative I recently tried using a piece of 1/2" reel 2 reel leader tape. To my surprise it is working out great it is keeping perfect speed and no change in pitch on anything I have listened to including piano music!!! I am stoked up to this point to hopefully have found a good replacement for the Mc Cormick's mylar tape that I can't find anymore....

Comment

Originally posted by jcmusic View Post
                  So I am reviving an old thread here about drive belts for TT's. I am down to enough holographic mylar to make one more belt, so as an alternative I recently tried using a piece of 1/2" reel 2 reel leader tape. To my surprise it is working out great it is keeping perfect speed and no change in pitch on anything I have listened to including piano music!!! I am stoked up to this point to hopefully have found a good replacement for the Mc Cormick's mylar tape that I can't find anymore....
                  That was creative!
                  Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                  Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                  -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
                  -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                  -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                  -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                  -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

That was creative!
                    Well i had read about others trying it or using VCR tape so figured I would give it try....

Comment

Working...
                    X