MAG-LEV AUDIO levitating turntable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAG-LEV AUDIO levitating turntable

Here's something fresh and interesting from a group of young Slovenian enthusiasts...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ting-turntable

The world premiere was yesterday at the Audio Show Hi-FI Ljubljana 2016.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20161015_191349.jpg Views:	1 Size:	578.8 KB ID:	30420
    Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

And a cool video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se0XO3780Pg
    Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

too many problems with this design. inconsistent platter height issues? (VTA) . need to maintain batteries for internal UPS? possible interference of the maglev with the cartridge coils and arm leads? limited mass of platter subject to airborne vibrations? No specifications given on rumble, speed accuracy or wow/flutter? In other words, this turntable is being sold for the "cool factor" of the floating disc, not for sound quality advancements. I smell a gimmick.
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Looks to be a very cool design but one with limited regard to the actual engineering requirements of quality record playing. I'd be highly surprised if it even out-measured a cheap standard turntable design in terms of bearing noise, wow and rumble.

Comment

I hate to be a Debbie Downer and stifle inventiveness. Certainly the MAG LEV table looks really cool but there are a lot of questions about the design. Have to give then credit for some great videos and promotion though.

But is it an optical illusion or is the platter wobbling in the video (some is the LP)? I'm sure they have solved this problem but I am curious how they keep the platter centered while spinning? Speed stability would seem to be a big issue since if I read correctly they are using a wood platter and that doesn't have much of a centrifugal force component.

More than that, there are many that think a little bit of friction is good in maintaining speed stability. Plus the spindle does act as an energy drain too from the platter. More than that, it would seem to me that the platter is just going to be vibrating in the breeze, especially if you had speakers with some significant low end component.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Garth
            Garth commented
            Editing a comment
            Your missing the point Myles you match the wobble with the warp in the record and it is all good

Success probability is 91% and I'm sure they will achieve the goal in a few days.

http://sidekick.epfl.ch/campaign/401...ting-turntable

Comment

Okay, a thing just hanging in space, it does look cool with the glowing circle beneath. But beyond that, what's the point? Why pick on audio for this technology demonstration?

So says MAG-LEV audio: "We were searching for a way to give people a better, newer way to experience vinyl records. By pushing the frontier of audio technology, we were able to integrate the uplifting experience of music into the turntable design itself, bringing the feeling of zero gravity into your living room."

I regret not having higher ceilings. I regret not having enough storage space for records. But listening to music I confess never having regrets about failing to achieve a feeling of zero gravity in my listening room. Not even once. Should I be worried?

Comment

The one thing that is missing from the advertorial is how the turntable sounds and/or is better than what is currently available.
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
              -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Garth
                Garth commented
                Editing a comment
                I would like to know how they keep it from drifting side to side spinning at 33 it looks cool Myles I think you need to buy one do a review .
                and why so much lift You wonder about the wobble I wonder how it does not turn into a UFO flying out a window.

I will defiantly get one for my flying car.

Comment

magnetic levitation no doubt aka, pure physics
                Chris
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

The coupling between the surface of the platter and the base of the arm must be as rigid as possible. Any motion that is different between these two spots will be interpreted by the pickup (arm and cartridge) as a coloration. Slop in either the platter bearing or the arm bearings is heard as a coloration. One has to assume that the designers did not understand this principle and so this effort seems to go the other way. Until proven otherwise I will see this as bad engineering and nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                  X