New Basis Table Debuts at LA Audio Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Basis Table Debuts at LA Audio Show

Without a doubt, the sound produced in the Vandersteen, Audio Research, Basis, Harmonic Resolution Systems room at LAAS 2017 was the best ever achieved by this team at an audio show. Hosted by Optimal Enchantment's Randy Cooley, the room featured the late AJ Conti's Transcendence turntable and Super Arm fitted with Lyra Atlas cartridge, the Vandersteen 7 speakers plus new Vandersteen subwoofers and Vandersteen amplifiers plus ARC Reference Phono 10 phono preamp. This turntable is the acrylic-free, minimal-plinth design I always hoped AJ would design and built.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Blimey Randall-ha he must be getting on now--a survivor alright!--I recall climbing those Stairs for some AQ cabling in the late 70's

Soc

Comment

The Transcendence is certainly a departure from AJ's other 'tables, it was mentioned he was 'going metal' on his next design but the form factor threw me when I finally saw it in Randy's room...I've heard that in recent years AJ and Mikey were more like frenemies over the acyrilic thing, that and the time AJ visited Mikey's place and noticed his speakers were wired out of phase. one wonders how long he was listening to his system like that RIP AJ.

Comment

that's beautiful!

Comment

I can't say I was ever a fan of acrylic for a table of a substantial investment. I feel that wood and plastic mostly don't belong in the construction of a high end audio instrument.

Having said that -the new table is gorgeous. Such a shame that Conti never saw it released to market. RIP.
          Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
          Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
          Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
          Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Plastic was used for good reason, for its non resonant quality. Metal has to be damped in order for it to work with tables. AJ knew what he was doing.

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              agreed. I've owned and still own a few tables with 'plastic' used in strategic ways and it was never off putting to me, same with wood like panzerholz and the carbonized stuff Schroeder and others use.

Originally posted by jeffy View Post
            Plastic was used for good reason, for its non resonant quality. Metal has to be damped in order for it to work with tables. AJ knew what he was doing.
            Sure. Doesn't mean that I like the aesthetic though. There are lots of ways to deal with metal and turntables. The Basis line of tables sound great though.
            Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
            Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
              I can't say I was ever a fan of acrylic for a table of a substantial investment. I feel that wood and plastic mostly don't belong in the construction of a high end audio instrument.

Having said that -the new table is gorgeous. Such a shame that Conti never saw it released to market. RIP.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3596.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	56041Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-12 19.49.14.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	56042
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
              -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Name:	IMG_3596.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	56041Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-12 19.49.14.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	56042

Name:	tw-acustic-raven-ac.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	56050

Name:	2005brinkbal.promo_.jpg?itok=qL4mwLTA.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	56051

Name:	b47ac6797237f2459c9fc34878b73119.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	56052

Comment

Lots of metal: 400 lbs total between the SME and Vibraplane with ballast plate.

I love the look of the new Basis table. Does anyone know the price?

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	111.2 KB ID:	56135
                  Last edited by PeterA; 06-09-2017, 08:50 AM.
                  System link: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
                  Micro Seiki SX8000 II, SME 3012R, vdH Colibri GC 0.25 mV
                  Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1 Signature, Lamm ML2.
                  Vitavox CN-191 corner horns, NOS cables, Ching Cheng power cords

Comment

Originally posted by PeterA View Post
                    Lots of metal: 400 lbs total between the SME and Vibraplane with ballast plate.

I love the look of the new Basis table. Does anyone know the price?

$115K with the arm.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jewelry

• PeterA
                      PeterA commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow, I had no idea.
                  Working...
                  X