Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schiit Audio to release their own turntable!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schiit Audio to release their own turntable!

Announced today. https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/vide...9887831069835/
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    -
    Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
    Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
    Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
    Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
    Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
    Speaker cables: WyWyres Diamond, Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
    Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
    Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
    Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Well Schiit. It looks as if they decided to bypass the lowest cost end of the market and go directly mid tier. I think this is a better business decision than trying to compete in the lowest price slab of MDF or even worse Crosley end of the market. Compared to any other US based company with manufacture in the US, they have a vast and enthusiastic customer base that will basically accept anything Schiit makes as best in its' price point. This may be why they decided to go for a more expensive mid tier product where better materials/production values etc. would insure a product that would not disappoint.

I have to say I'm impressed with the business strategy, build a business in the much larger digital segment, build a reputation for price /performance, build a customer base and then a mid tier turntable that even if a small percentage of their customer base buys will still be a significant (for the turntable market) number.

It will be interesting to see how this will shake out.

Comment

• Doxycc
      Doxycc commented
      Editing a comment
      Schiit is "very popular" with my children's friends. Their products are terrific value. The downside to the going direct to consumer is that folks need to discover Schiit via social media or word of mouth. Has anyone listened to their top of the line DAC? Harley was impressed and i can't weigh his opinion as I haven't heard many DACs

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4043.JPG
Views:	1989
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	60666Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4044.JPG
Views:	1641
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	60667
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• nc42acc
      nc42acc commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a twisted paper clip on the left hand side of the first picture?

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like it.

• JimTimP
      JimTimP commented
      Editing a comment
      That's no paperclip! That an Audio Harmonic Reduction Device utilizing an amazing principle developed by Doctor Whosurdaddy at the Plank Institute for Research and Psuedo Science in Hoboken, NJ. It absorbs unwanted harmonics and distortion converting them to sonic vibrations absorbed into the atmosphere as sonic vibrations. Only $459.99. But wait, order in the next 15 minutes and we'll send a second Dr. Whosurdaddy Audio Harmonic Reduction Device for the cost of shipping and handeling.

Schiit is "very popular" with my children's friends. Their products are terrific value. The downside to the going direct to consumer is that folks need to discover Schiit via social media or word of mouth. Has anyone listened to their top of the line DAC? Harley was impressed and i can't weigh his opinion as I haven't heard many DACs

I think the guys at Schiit were correct in initially disregarding traditional advertising in print media. They got plenty of traction from articles from publications with far larger circulation than the audio press such as Rolling Stone and others. Word of mouth, blogs, bulletin boards and Facebook gave them access to a far wider young audience than ads in audio magazines. Pretty much for free. Print ads are not cheap and as a start up would have consumed limited resources for little return on investment Jason Stoddards' writings on starting the company should be required reading for anyone thinking of starting a business.

Now that they have grown enough they have actually placed print ads for their more expensive products in audio publications. I doubt anyone reading print ads in an audio publication would have taken the initial $90 DAC seriously so there would have been no return on investment at that time. For those who might point out the Firefly was an inexpensive DAC that was heavily advertised keep in mind that Audioquest was a well established company with the required resources at the time.

As the old line audio companies have migrated to the upscale market it is good to see a domestic manufacturer fill the void with innovative quality products. That said I don't own any Schiit products so I'm not writing this as a fanboy owner.

Comment

Interesting Schiit. These guys are always going up with audio ideas.
      Chris
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

IT's kind of amusing reading the Schiit sponsored thread on Head-Fi.org. They give a lot of info that no other company would dream of making public, but the general discussion is so filled with ignorance that it's laughable. Yet, it means any new product they come out with has hundreds of people waiting to pull the trigger on day one, even if they don't understand what the product is or does.

Personally, I am extremely impressed with most of the Schiit products I've tried. Their new amp (the Vidar, $699) could be this generations B&K ST140 or Adcom 555. The pre-production unit I had for a few days certainly sounded way better than a sub $1000 amp should. I am waiting for a production review unit.

Their $129 Mani is a fine beginner phono stage, though outclassed in most regards by something like the iFi iPhono2.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        -
        Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
        Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
        Speaker cables: WyWyres Diamond, Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

• cpp
          cpp commented
          Editing a comment
          ignorance, got that right or could it be attitude, Moffat did say in an interview " "Our attitude is to build the best for less, period." and

"We must remember not to take ourselves so seriously that we deny ourselves the fun of the hobby."

• Steve Lefkowicz
          Steve Lefkowicz commented
          Editing a comment
          This industry needs more people like both Moffatt and Jason Stoddard. I've had or used more than a few Sumo products from his days with them (and some that predate his time there).

Cool. Reminds me of a Stabi S somehow and the interchangeable arm reminds me of the JMW.

Comment

So this is a Conrad Hoffman design? The video did not reveal too many technical details on this product. OK, we know the tonearm is a unipivot. It's a belt drive with remote motor pod. Platter is aluminum. These things we can see and that is all the speakers revealed.
          Motor; is it AC or DC?
          Suspension? Can't tell. I can guess that there is likely some sort of isolating device/material within each of the three housings above each foot.

-Steve
          Last edited by user510; 08-04-2017, 12:38 AM.
          webmaster at The Analog Dept.
          system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

• cpp
            cpp commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll guess we will know more when Schiit provides more detail.

Here's a newer picture of the revised tonearm, though still a prototype.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sol_Tonearm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	207.2 KB ID:	72388
          Steve Lefkowicz
          -

Comment

• don
            don commented
            Editing a comment
            The pivot is designed exactly like the dust buster's

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCHIITR2-1720-1024x685.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	72538

A turntable for millenials? I suppose they won't be tempted to call it : The Piece of Schiitt

Who knows, maybe it works ok.
          -Steve
          webmaster at The Analog Dept.
          system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

• user510
            user510 commented
            Editing a comment
            SOL must be short for "Schiitt Outta Luck". There's no end to the places they can go with inventive nomenclature, however it seems certain it will always be a schiitty thing. ;-)

• Steve Lefkowicz
            Steve Lefkowicz commented
            Editing a comment
            All their names (except for "the gadget") come from Norse mythology. Not puns about their name. Their phono stage is Mani, so the table being Sol was the logical choice!

• user510
            user510 commented
            Editing a comment
            OK. Sorry. I was in an ironic mode. Nothing clever about mixing Norse Myth with the gutter vernacular of the 20th century. Can't resist the puns, though. It is an odd looking thing. Particularly the arm. maybe too clever. If it is to be light, it needs also be rigid, I'd think. A cast aluminum chassis structure would go along way toward raising my confidence with it.

Hmmm. I missed the original post so this is the first time I’m hearing about this proposed TT. Let’s see. Inverted bearing, aluminum platter, flat poly belt, carbon Arm, seperate motor, favorable $100 cartridge comparisons to $3000.00 cartridges, interchangeable arms, etc etc. what’s new here? The name Shiit will be on the table.that is what is new.
          Turntable: TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Digital: Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

Amplification: PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp, VTL 6.5 preamp Series II, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Loudspeakers: Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Isolation: Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Misc: PS Audio Noise Harvesters, Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Working...
          X