USB Cable recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Cable recommendations

I'm looking for something in the $200-300 price range for 1.5m cable. I am moving my laptop closer to DAC so I can get away with shorter length. Thinking about Cardas Clear, Audioquest Coffee, DH Labs Silver Sonic Mirage, Clarus Cable Crimson. New or used ok. Either no sonic color added, or if any, slightly towards the warm side is ok. Thanks
    SOURCE: VINYL -NO TABLE, NO ARM, - (Air Tight PC-1 Supreme Is For Sale), Benz LPS-mr. DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (passive) w/ YG binding posts. CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Tom, I would recommend finding a used TotalDac cable or maybe s used Sablon Audio one.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Basis 2200 Signature with Calibration Base, Vector 4 Tonearm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post
      Tom, I would recommend finding a used TotalDac cable or maybe s used Sablon Audio one.
      The totaldac cable reviews look great. So the price shipped for a 2m to me is $441 total. That is the D1 cable without filter. I'm guessing that's what you mean? He offers a filter for almost $2k.
      SOURCE: VINYL -NO TABLE, NO ARM, - (Air Tight PC-1 Supreme Is For Sale), Benz LPS-mr. DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (passive) w/ YG binding posts. CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Originally posted by tom_hankins View Post

The totaldac cable reviews look great. So the price shipped for a 2m to me is $441 total. That is the D1 cable without filter. I'm guessing that's what you mean? He offers a filter for almost $2k.
        I am not sure what the filter is. The cable I bought has the box attached. That can't be the filter since I paid $300 for it used.
        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Basis 2200 Signature with Calibration Base, Vector 4 Tonearm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Comment

It comes with attached small box. Says D1 on top.

Comment

I have 4 modestly priced USB's, of which my favorite on the MSB Select II is the Curious Cable. the Lightspeed was close to the Curious Cable but the Curious was a bit more fleshed out. the Lush is not compatible with my MSB so cannot say how it performs.

I have the Lush, DaVinci Lightspeed ($600) and the older Totaldac.

I would reasonably sell any/all of those three. PM me if interested.

I plan on maybe stepping up to an 'uber' USB when I determine whether I will be switching to Ethernet or not with the new MSB Renderer. right now i'm USB with the SGM server.

Comment

Since you are using a laptop have you tried a simple usb 3.0 usb cAble from beldon ?
              A spect grade use cable is fine to try and most all Audio grade usb cables are not to a correct spec.
              The output imp and input imp of your dac too cause some jitter that effects the sound. Reading reviews of usb cables maybe helpful but be aware the resultant sound in our own use varies greatly at times due to the above mentioned.
              Another option is does your fact need the 5 volt dc power in your cable ? If not try a power cut adaptor cheap and does a very notible Inprovemt. Usb cables do change the sound no doubt but you would be surprised how a dirt cheap name brand spect cable sound. I say name brand as in beldon or other reputable wire manufacturers. Exotic brands while exceptional at times are not spect grade.
              If used to program any input board by usb it’s always reccomnded by manufactur to use a simple spec grade cable wonder why lol.

Comment

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                I have heard a couple ferrite magnet rings with the plastic case that wrap around a cable really close the gap on sonic performance between a $15 usb and an expensive one. I think someone said the sonic gains did not improve much more after about 8 per cable. A 10 pack on amazon is about $5.

Although it’s substantially more expensive than your indicated price range, the best USB cable I have yet to hear is the most basic of the three USB cables offered by Stealth Audio. Closer to your price range, my choice woukf be the AudioQuest Carbon.
              Transrotor Rossini Turntable w/Jelco SA-750DB
              Audio Note Io Gold Cart. w/AN-S9 SUT
              Audio Note CDT-Four Transport/Woo WDS-1 DAC
              Ayre QX-5 Twenty Dig. Hub & 13” MacBook Pro w/Roon w/Melco N1A NAS
              AN OTO Phono SE Signature Int. Amp w/AN-E SEC Silver Speakers w/Murata Super Tweeters
              Purple J-Corder 1520 R2R and Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck
              PSAudio P10 AC Regen./Equi=Tech Bal. Transformer
              Harmonic Technology, Audio Note, Kondo Sound Labs, Stealth, AQ Cables
              Woo GES w/Sfax SR-507 Headphones

Comment

• tom_hankins
                tom_hankins commented
                Editing a comment
                I just sold my 5m Carbon. Was thinking of moving up to the Coffee, but have been told it can be a little bright compared to the carbon.

The SR Core is just a little over Budget but worth it. Also, Purist audio makes some amazing Digital cables. Mainly because they sound about as un-digital as you can get...
              Core Digital UEF USB Cable - The Cable Company carries Synergistic Research audio cables and accessories.

Comment

Tom if you are coming from the AQ Carbon and want a upgrade that still has the same strengths and much more, you need to check that SR Core cable...

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X