Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cantorgale
    replied
    I will be swapping my Audible Illusions L3A linestage (SE only) for a PS Audio BHK Sig pre. As the BHK offers the possibility of balanced cables, I am curious this group's thoughts re switching certain runs to XLR. My runs are short (1M pre/amp/source; 2M to subs).

In general, I've heard that for shorter runs XLR connections offer little benefit over RCA. I am very happy with my system's sound as well as my current cable mix (see below). I have only the slightest hum from my Harbeth 30.2s (cannot identify a ground loop culprit), and am thinking this may be because my L3A sits between/close to my BHK 300s on the same shelf (space constraints), and so maybe some feedback there which XLR's might address? OTOH, once the music starts the hum is inaudible.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    PS BHK 300 monos; Audilbe Illusions L3A/PS Audio BHK pre; Modwright/Oppo Sonica DAC; Fidelizer Nimitra S server/Nikola S PSU; Harbeth m30.2; dual HUS ULS15 MK2 subs; Antimode 8033ii; Bryston BHA-1 headamp; Sennheiser 800s; Musical Concepts Modded Rotel 1072 CDP

Cables (RCA)
    Syn Research Element Copper and Tesla Accel LE (pre/amp/DAC)
    DH Labs Silver Sonic Air Matrix (Anti-mode/subs)
    Wireworld Eclipse 8 (Rotel CDP)

Power:
    Syn Res Powercell 8
    Various PCs - Syn Res; Shunyata; Wywires; Wireworld

Isolation: Herbies; Isoacoustics (Orea, Isopuck, L8R200) Symposium Audio (Roller Block Jrs, Svelte Plus)

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    replied
    They need to for the reason of this post.
    Balanced cancels some noise in longer than 6 foot runs
    it also shields noise in Audio applications and digital too.
    An AES is a balanced spidif cAble.
    As for is balanced better in a design I think not less components should yield better sound. Se rulls for me.
    But amps and preamps need both. Amps need it for connection of long runs. Preamps need it as an out put and inputs. How it’s achived meaning truly balanced or not
    I cannot conclude on as the circuit designed is the reason for it being a varible.
    A SE TO BAL transformer converter has its Merritt too it allows for ground isolation that yields better per performance if a system is not powered correctly or one device leaks to ground.

Leave a comment:

• DetroitVinylRob
    replied
    Wonder why recording engineers use miles of the stuff (XLR) ahead of what we listen to?...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    #12.1

MylesBAstor commented
    04-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Yeah remind me I am a dinosaur in more than one way. 🤣 SE, vinyl and tape.
    ah yes, Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers ... just for you! :-)

or here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACKZ10BrSwk

(heh - I have the album)

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    commented on Guest's reply
    Yeah remind me I am a dinosaur in more than one way. 🤣 SE, vinyl and tape.

• Alrainbow
    replied
    I can say in dacs it changes the sound
    in Amps for me be it input or headphone output many claim yes but I hear nothing but volume changes.
    This if leveled off using my iPhone concluded no such changes.
    The dacs were tube style or solid state
    the chages were not in tone but in staging for me.
    Consider the most expensive amps and preamps were not balanced until more recently I think.
    Now interconnects I have not a clue except for what I hear

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sometimes I've wondered what a died- in-the-wool single-ender like CJ would sound like if they used balanced circuitry. Would the character of their units fundamentally change? Or put differently, outside the claimed "simplicity" does a designer's sonic goals influence whether he chooses balanced-diff versus single-ended circuit?

Leave a comment:

• Per Sundell
    replied
    I tend to prefer Single-End.

Leave a comment:

• Quint
    commented on 's reply
    Whoops, I basically repeated--though not as articulately--what Spectral said above. Sorry about that!

• Quint
    replied
    IME, and I'm hardly an expert in the matter, it depends a lot on the equipment being linked. If the gear is differential, I prefer running balanced cables. If not, SE is probably as good, if not better. Just IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• SpectralMorn
    replied
    Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
    over last week end I moved my stuff Around as my stuff was behind my speakers and about 20 feet or more away and I could not even see the display. Even with my server and iPad as control it still had its issues.
    So in moving things around I needed about 50 foot cables from my dac preamp to cross over control box and 25 feet to amps from there. As the amps are right behind each speaker tower
    So I bought and average set of rca interconnects.
    After I hooked it up my sound for bad
    Clear and clean but dull to say the least
    This drove me crazy as to why and was I even hearing what I thought . So moved the stuff back just to see and all the greatness came back.
    Now I was confused even more than before as I had the proof I was not crazy. How much of what we do or think we hear may or may not be real ? I always wonder of what I think I hear is so and some times have a bit of regret . After all although I am a lisc electrical contractor and electrical engineer it can help but mostly makes me an agnostic of many aspects of this hobby we dwell in.
    So what I did is email someone who I can truly count on for an honest answer
    My answer was surprising and good at the same time.
    It seems SE cannot go the distance that bal can. Now I know most here may know this and even though I am a life long audio head dude this I did not know.
    It seems if you go beyond 6 feet or so it does not matter how much you spend. So I bought what I needed and adaptors simple ones to convert SE to BAL and back. The music was back maybe 90 percent. The rest can be had with better grade SE to bal conversion interconnects. I just thought I would share this to help
    Others like me who love the magic of great mauic but honestly do not always know how to achieve it. . My next step is getting my cross over modded to fully balanced
    It's being mailed to Colorado tomorrow
    Over all it's comming together more each time I play
    Al.

Its not so much the cables as to the circuit design of the products. In general balanced designs have more voltage output on the audio outputs thus able to send the signal further than a single ended design. Basically signal transmission is much more robust and thus can be sent over longer distances the design of the xlr cables and connectors help reject noise too. I much prefer proper dual differential balanced designs and many bits in my system are designed that way, however there is an increase in cost with separate left and right audio circuits, everything doubled up. Some argue that se designs that are generally simpler are better, but as in all things implementation is everything.

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• sauerball
    replied
    Redco Audio will cut cables to your specified length and let you pick the connectors. Recommended.

http://www.redco.com/

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Mogami gold is the kind I used

Leave a comment:

• Alrainbow
    replied
    Thanks all for the replies. The mogami was the one suggested to me. They sound alamost as good as SE interconnects that are only 3 feet. The microphones ones is the kind. My situation then was to convert back and forth my 10 or so is lost here I figure. Now Henson or even flex connects by McCormack will cure this.
    Although I am getting the cross over made balanced and my external low pass filter as well I still have my SE lampi so I will need at least one set of good SE to balance. Jenkins are cheap about 300 or so for a pair. The flex are about 2K. But according to my friend it's top shelf. For now I use a balanced analog input on msb dac and a set of SE to bal cables short like 2 feet silver
    I was never a fan of bal over SE and felt it was just a marketing ploy in this hobby as there is so many. But I now think different. I will not redo my lampi head dac to balanced as it just got back and loaded with the latest updates I love it. And with the new eml globe 45 special editions it's a touch more neutral than the msb is
    So over all no loss.
    Thanks so much for input in this. My brain and ears are happy.
    My mid tweeter amps are aragons 8008BB. any thoughts on amps to try out. I am thinking of Paul's new mono blocks the bhk ones. They have a 30 day return policy. Second is goldmund they are a fast amp. Any thoughts here without going insane please.
    Thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

Working...
X